Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
[quote name='ccrs270' post='267720' date='Dec 22 2008, 22:23 ']I think people confuse taxi for an ambulance everywhere[/quote]

They arnt ambulances, they are cabulances!
Here is an update on the PBF.

Last quint is ordered for Engine 23. It will be a 2009 Pierce Arrow XT to match 27's.

Two KME engines will be going to Engines 37, 38. Not sure on due date.

Mac 1 due in January. 2009 IHC/KME

4 Pierce Arrow XT 105' still due in April w/ assignments to Truck 8, 17, 24, 30. I'm not sure where the 4 HME/Ferrara aerials will end. As far as I know Truck 32's old one hasn't been reassigned.
Ex-Engine 19 was this 1978 Brockway with Maxim bodywork, 1500 gpm-pump, 500 gallon-tank. It was rebuilt with a crew-cab enclosure in 1997 by Doerr Brothers. John Schmidt photo

Quote:Funny you should post that, I tried to get a photo of it about 30 minutes ago but no one was at the scrapyard. Try again later. And I think it was refurbed back in the 80's. Open Cab Mack might know for sure.

Pittsburgh did buy 6 of the Brockway-Maxim engines in 1978. They were assigned to Engines 6, 7, 38, 39, 42, 52. They were all red in color, had 1,500 gpm pumps, and 500 gwt. There were 2 of these Brockway's refurbed in 1991. These were done by Doerr Brothers, located on Pittsburgh's South Side. These were actually the second group of totally enclosed trucks with riding positions the city had. In 1991, the city ordered the second set of Pierce Dash's. These were the first 4-doors, the Brockways were the second. In 1992, there were 2 more refurbished. In 2001, 2 were still held in reserve status. I remember Engine 7 located on Liberty Ave. outside of the Strip all red with gold lettering and a Federal Twinsonic on the roof. As for the scrapyard, I heard the same thing, that one of them was located there.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Anyone have the Yellow and Black rigs on film... As much as these made issues... I think they looked nice!
[quote name='Fireman5230' post='268824' date='Dec 27 2008, 20:20 ']Anyone have the Yellow and Black rigs on film... As much as these made issues... I think they looked nice![/quote]

Here is a shot of one of the Thibuilt ladders that was in reserve service working a fire in the Brighton heights section of the city a few years back

[Image: ladder.jpg]
Here is a shot of the last truck 36 house had before being closed

[Image: eng36.jpg]
Did all the Mack R chassis, standard cab pumpers have body work by Maxim?

Thanks.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Larry- The Brockway rigs all had Maxim bodywork, but the Mack R pumpers had Mack bodywork.
Thanks Dave. I knew someone would know. And that makes sense.

Any chance the Mack R chassis pumpers were refurbed by Doerr Bros. also? I have a photo of one that says it was done by them also.

Hope you had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Thanks.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
You've got me on that one. Maybe one of the "locals" knows.
I have most all of Pittsburgh's black/gold rigs in slide format, thanks to a friend out that way. The Mack's all had mack body work. A number of them were refurbished in 1983 by Doerr Bro's. I think I have photos of 11 of them after being refurbished. Most of them were not assigned to their original stations after being refurbed.

The last two black/gold rigs were to be sold at auction over the summer. They were both 1984 Duplex/Thibault 100' rigs and were assigned at the time in the reserve pool to Aerials 23 & 27.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='268849' date='Dec 27 2008, 21:50 ']You've got me on that one. Maybe one of the "locals" knows.[/quote]

The Macks were purchased in 1972 & 1973, all R-Models, 13 in all were originally assigned to Engine Co.'s 4, 5, 8, 21, 22, 26, 29, 30, 32, 43, 51, 57, and 58. None were refurbed, however alot were in reserve up until the early 2000's. They were equiped with 1,250 gpm pumps and 500 gwt. All were red in color with gold striping and letters. Really classy! After the Pirates and Steelers won their respective championships, Chief Charlie Lewis had all new apparatus and existing ones painted black over yellow gold, includong the Macks.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

No altercations were made to the Mack engine bodies when refurbished, but I'm sure that after 10 years some body work needed completed on them. It would have been neat if the City would have done the jump seat area just like the brockways.
[quote name='Shoop' post='268869' date='Dec 28 2008, 00:18 ']No altercations were made to the Mack engine bodies when refurbished, but I'm sure that after 10 years some body work needed completed on them. It would have been neat if the City would have done the jump seat area just like the brockways.[/quote]

I agree Shoop, would of been better to see the CF's as well. As for the Thibaults, one was purchased by someone in Canada and not far after it was on E-Bay. I also saw one, A-26 I believe, in a used car lot in September 2007 between Elizabeth Borough and Glassport.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' post='268860' date='Dec 27 2008, 22:30 ']The Macks were purchased in 1972 & 1973, all R-Models, 13 in all were originally assigned to Engine Co.'s 4, 5, 8, 21, 22, 26, 29, 30, 32, 43, 51, 57, and 58. None were refurbed, however alot were in reserve up until the early 2000's. They were equiped with 1,250 gpm pumps and 500 gwt. All were red in color with gold striping and letters. Really classy! After the Pirates and Steelers won their respective championships, Chief Charlie Lewis had all new apparatus and existing ones painted black over yellow gold, includong the Macks.[/quote]

I believe two of the R's ended up in Coulter, South Versailles Township, Allegheny County (Allegheny County Station 272, Mon-Yough Control Station 27), one as an engine and the other was refurbished, extended and converted into a 2000+ gallon tanker. Last I was down there (May 2006) they were running the R model engine and an International/FMC from White Oak Rainbow. The tanker was disposed of, unknown disposition, shortly before I visited. The boro has hydrants so the tanker was no longer needed. Anyone know where any of the other Rs went?

Engine 272-1

[Image: 21113-R1-00-1A.jpg]

Ex. PBF (I think)

Engine 272-2

[Image: 21113-R1-01-2A.jpg]

Ex. Rescue/Engine 300, Rainbow Fire Company, White Oak

For those interested, Coulter is actually in Allegheny County but the only way to get there (unless you swim the river) is through Westmoreland County...
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
I think one or two of the R models went to 147 elizabeth Twp. they had two r model mack "wagons"
One of my favorite stations, recently closed, was Troy Hill Engine 39. A great group that was always willing to accomidate fire buffs. This picture was taken the day before the station closed.

Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire Engine 39

[Image: 2435-R1-22-23.jpg]
Hardy, William C

Other side with the ancient station in the background. They also ran a Suburban as a Safety Unit.

[Image: 2435-R1-20-21.jpg]
Hardy, William C

was the safety unit disbanded also at the time of the station being closed?i think the unit number for the safety unit was 4539.my how times have changed who remembers listening to pbf on vhf when you would hear squad 11 i think out of 1engine and 1 truck being dispatched to a zone.does not seem that long ago too me.