Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas
Quote: 

I was told that the black over red was done so that guys on the job would know right away without a doubt that they were working with a new rig not the older ones, as many things are different.

Here is published quote stating that:

"In the end, Aaron said, all of the department’s firefighters will have some training on the new engines and truck. That’s because there may be situations where a firefighter who does not work from one of the new engines may be sent to get a piece of equipment off one. And a hose nozzle or ax may be in an entirely different compartment on the new apparatus. That’s a big reason why the new equipment has a different paint scheme, so they are quickly recognizable to any firefighter.

“It’s not always the best visibility at a scene,” Aaron said. “So that’s the logic behind it.”

Link to article

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;">

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/09/02/2978319...rylink=cpy"

</div>

Andy,

Thats humorous, I guess they the Chiefs will always have an answer for the media. I know you would agree. The firemen should know what each company runs across the city. As for many years I have had the KCFD and KCKFD and many other metro departments memorized. Also its very easy to tell a new Dash CF from the older Dash because it is a totally different cab design wider lower. Another reason not to order a fake non functioning grill then it would stand out with a Q2b flushed in the signature Pierce stainless band. The reporter should have asked what color combo will be chosen in another ten years so they standout from the older rigs. Remember when the WFD had a mix of ALF, Seagrave, Central States, Grumman, and Sutphen how did we survive? I do think the new machines look sharp and are very well designed so I am not complaining just find it humorous. Why not just say we decided to change the color at the factory because it is sharp. See you soon.

Rick 
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote:Remember when the WFD had a mix of ALF, Seagrave, Central States, Grumman, and Sutphen how did we survive? I do think the new machines look sharp and are very well designed so I am not complaining just find it humorous. Why not just say we decided to change the color at the factory because it is sharp.

DING DING DING...You left out the 6th Brand when we had the mix though....Smeal on the old Tender... Luxhello Luxhello Luxhello
Andy Thomas
Wichita Fire Dept. Photographer

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Stopped by and got Wichita's one and only Tender at Firehouse 17 in Wichita.

[Image: 10430485806_57988af528_c.jpg]

2010 KME/International Workstar

_____/_____

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Andy, did they keep the Lime Ford as a spare or what happened with it?

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:Andy, did they keep the Lime Ford as a spare or what happened with it?

Trav!

I believe it is at their fleet maintenance, but I bet its on the auction block soon. I will do some asking around...
Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Have any of the new Pierces gone in service yet in Wichita?

I Saw on Facebook that E-2 one of the new ones is for sure in-service not sure how many others are so far.

Only Engine 2 is in service. I will try and get a shot soon.

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Here is the shot of Engine 2 I promised.

[Image: 12520855094_d4196cec79_c.jpg]

2013 Pierce Dash CF

1500/600

Serial # 26625-02

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
[Image: 13329575413_627675316c_c.jpg]

El Dorado, KS Fire Department

2013 Sutphen S-1

1500/1000

Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Out of curiosity...what took/is taking Wichita so long to put their new engines/tower in service?

They have E1,E2,E7,E9,E10,E11, and T2 in service. Im not 100% sure on E12,E4,E8. E8 went back to the shop several times from what I gather. They've been waiting on new equipment and tool mounting to be completed.
Andy Thomas

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
Thank you

Quote:They have E1,E2,E7,E9,E10,E11, and T2 in service. Im not 100% sure on E12,E4,E8. E8 went back to the shop several times from what I gather. They've been waiting on new equipment and tool mounting to be completed.
A little off-topic so I apologize in advance. What apparatus is Wichita running out of Firehouse 15? Quint and Squad? Thanks.
Looking at Wichitafire.org I see just a regular top mount dash engine for 15 and one of the Chevy squads.
Quote:Looking at Wichitafire.org I see just a regular top mount dash engine for 15 and one of the Chevy squads.
Thanks! I'll check that site out, sounds good.
Quote:A little off-topic so I apologize in advance. What apparatus is Wichita running out of Firehouse 15? Quint and Squad? Thanks.
Dave,

They are currently running Engine 15 the old Engine 20 a 2006 Pierce Dash Engine. Quint 15 was reassigned as Quint 20. Some of the reasons, 15's is an extremely busy fire house. Wear and tear on the Quint played a role. They have a lot of garden apartments that make the Quint difficult to maneuver. They make a good number of fires and the Engine is quicker.  The rear apron at 15 is extremely tight for driving through and they are located on very busy major roadway so backing in is not a great idea. They have made due with the Quint since 2004. Fire House 20 is slower and one of the three newest fire houses with ease of driving through. The Squad has remained at 15's with the Engine.

Hope this helps, take care.

Stay Safe,

Rick 

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Are the squads in witicha ems??

Quote:Dave,

They are currently running Engine 15 the old Engine 20 a 2006 Pierce Dash Engine. Quint 15 was reassigned as Quint 20. Some of the reasons, 15's is an extremely busy fire house. Wear and tear on the Quint played a role. They have a lot of garden apartments that make the Quint difficult to maneuver. They make a good number of fires and the Engine is quicker.  The rear apron at 15 is extremely tight for driving through and they are located on very busy major roadway so backing in is not a great idea. They have made due with the Quint since 2004. Fire House 20 is slower and one of the three newest fire houses with ease of driving through. The Squad has remained at 15's with the Engine.

Hope this helps, take care.

Stay Safe,

Rick 
Thanks Rick. I appreciate the information.
Quote:Are the squads in witicha ems??

They are all fire department units are basic life support and all firemen are EMT's. There are a number of firemen who carry paramedic cards but the fire department is not ALS. The Squads do respond to the majority of the EMS runs. Although there are a few houses without Squads and the Engine or Truck will take the alarm.

In Kansas by state statue the counties are responsible for determining who will provide ems transport service basic or advanced. In Sedgwick County the county operates the EMS Transport system and it is advanced life support. In Kansas City Kansas the unified government chose to have KCKFD provide the EMS Transport System. In Shawnee County (Topeka) they decided to contract with American Medical Response. In Johnson County (KC Metro) the county provides 911 advanced life support EMS transport and contracts all non emergency transfers to AMR. In Barton County they choose to have Great Bend Fire Department operate the EMS transport. Great Bend provides basic life support EMS transport with advanced life support capability if a firemen paramedic is working. Cowley County choose to split their county and Winfield Hospital provides basic life support with advanced life support capability to northern Cowley County (soon to be Winfield Fire Department with full time ALS) and Arkansas City Fire Department provides full time advanced life support EMS transport to the southern half of Cowley County and northern Oklohoma. There are many counties in Kansas that have part-time or volunteer EMS Transport Systems. Some are only able to provide basic life support or carry split transport licenses that allow them to operate as a basic life support service with advanced life support capability if a paramedic is present. Many of these situations are present because of the large pay and retention disparity between metro departments and micro departments and the education cost and initial certification education time commitment for the part-time or volunteer departments. Education for an EMT certification is slightly longer than a traditional college semester and Paramedic is only taught through the community college system and is one year full-time spring-summer-fall-winter. Some community colleges do offer a shift rotation friendly program that takes two years. 

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4