Richland Hills, TX Fire-EMS

John Anderson

San Antonio,TX

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another angle of Richland Hills,TX

another...

Last one....this is one NICE rig!!! First new Dodge I've seen with an extended front bumper.

[quote name='Txfirephoto' timestamp='1308379881' post='444820']

Austin/Travis County EMS

Demand 7

2010 International/Wheeled Coach

[/quote]

What is a "Demand" unit compared to a Medic?
A demand unit is a unit that is used for public events.

[quote name='minime86' timestamp='1310361837' post='447705']

[/quote]
[quote name='minime86' timestamp='1310361837' post='447705']

[/quote]

A Demand Unit is an ambulance that is staffed during peak hours (times predicted when there will be high call volume i.e. summer weekend or Friday night). It helps to take some of the workload during these times.

They can also be used at special events, natural disasters, etc....
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Seth and Billy are both partially correct. Our Demand Units are still ALS transport units. We used to have 3 staffed six days a week at varying hours of the day. One North, One Central, One South. We currently are only running Demand 1 at 4th and Chicon, and Demand 3 on South Congress. Demand 2 was relocated further north and became M36. M36 is still only staffed at peak hours of the day. Demand 10-13 are Sprinter ambulances used at Special events and for Pub Ed events. Demand 4-9 are fully stocked assets that can be deployed as soon as staff arrives to man them. These units are also staffed if we have unassigned floaters on any given day of the week. one of the large Demand units is at every UT home football game dedicated specifically to the football players. Hope this clarifies
[quote name='A/TCEMSPM' timestamp='1310510318' post='447980']

Sedth and Billy are both partially correct. Our Demand Units are still ALS transport units. We used to have 3 staffed six days a week at varying hours of the day. One North, One Central, One South. We currently are only running Demand 1 at 4th and Chicon, and Demand 3 on South Congress. Demand 2 was relocated further north and became M36. M36 is still only staffed at peak hours of the day. Demand 10-13 are Sprinter ambulances used at Special events and for Pub Ed events. Demand 4-9 are fully stocked assets that can be deployed as soon as staff arrives to man them. These units are also staffed if we have unassigned floaters on any given day of the week. one of the large Demand units is at every UT home football game dedicated specifically to the football players. Hope this clarifies

[/quote]

Yes, that definately helped. Thank you so much. The peak load unit idea is still some what of a newer concept where I am, however its not in some of the bordering counties. However, here... MOST of EMS is FD based. 1 county has peak load units called "medic 100-600" and they are staffed with a Paramedic, and a Firefighter/EMT. To me this seems slightly redundant... if you have a Medic only, why not have an EMT only as well? not like that FF/EMT can do anything in the capacity of a FF on a scene when he's working OT on that unit. Also, why pay a FF/EMT overtime when they could very easily hire EMT only for a lot less. The county I am has 1 peak load unit and in all reality needed more. Its designated Rescue 14 and staffed with overtime FF/EMT and FF/PM. It is run M-F during they day, but any given time, listen to the scanner and you will here Rescues are continuously on move up even into the late night/early morning hours sometimes. I wish the County FD would just hire some EMT's and Paramedics w/o a FF cert, and add more peak load/move up trucks. I think 3 would be a good number at the least. Again, as well it would be cheaper to Pay an EMT or a Medic than an overtime FF/EMT and FF/PM. Here in Florida like every where else EMS and FF jobs are hard to come by, especially in the areas where EMS agencies are FEW and far between.
[quote name='minime86' timestamp='1310533665' post='448037']

Yes, that definately helped. Thank you so much. The peak load unit idea is still some what of a newer concept where I am, however its not in some of the bordering counties. However, here... MOST of EMS is FD based. 1 county has peak load units called "medic 100-600" and they are staffed with a Paramedic, and a Firefighter/EMT. To me this seems slightly redundant... if you have a Medic only, why not have an EMT only as well? not like that FF/EMT can do anything in the capacity of a FF on a scene when he's working OT on that unit. Also, why pay a FF/EMT overtime when they could very easily hire EMT only for a lot less. The county I am has 1 peak load unit and in all reality needed more. Its designated Rescue 14 and staffed with overtime FF/EMT and FF/PM. It is run M-F during they day, but any given time, listen to the scanner and you will here Rescues are continuously on move up even into the late night/early morning hours sometimes. I wish the County FD would just hire some EMT's and Paramedics w/o a FF cert, and add more peak load/move up trucks. I think 3 would be a good number at the least. Again, as well it would be cheaper to Pay an EMT or a Medic than an overtime FF/EMT and FF/PM. Here in Florida like every where else EMS and FF jobs are hard to come by, especially in the areas where EMS agencies are FEW and far between.

[/quote]

It sounds like that agency's preference would be to have all fire trained personnel but they are having difficulty finding a sufficient number of paramedics, just my take on it. As far as hiring an EMT with no fire training for much less than they pay the FF/EMT you have to understand the likely issues that result from hiring a person with 144hrs of training and then paying them minimum wage to deal with life and death situations. I dont want to get in a big debate but I would suspect that most people on this board would agree to work as a tailboard firefighter for a lot lower pay than we would as an EMT. Employee retention and customer service are important and it is difficult to manage either of them unless you compensate the people adequately. Otherwise the EMT will just go to fire school online and then quit and move over to a fire department if he is capable. Just my opinion.
Thorndale, Tx

Ambulance 580

Ford E-350/Wheeled Coach

Attached Files Image(s)

College Station, Tx

Texas A&M EMS

Ambulance

Chevrolet 3500/Frazer

Attached Files Image(s)

College Station, Tx

College Station Medical Center

Medic 197