Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
[quote name='dJames' date='16 August 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1281999250' post='397670']

Not sure if there is a more specific reason related to the department, but resurgens just means rising again. It's in reference to the city of Atlanta having to "rise from the ashes" after the Civil War. In short, the city of Atlanta was burned to the ground (minus churches/hospitals) by General Sherman of the Union Army during his March to the Sea. Multiple city department logos, including fire, have a Phoenix rising from some ashes to depict the rebirth of the city.

[/quote]

right, looked at the word the wrong way
BTW...great shots and thanks for keeping this topic alive. For those who have facebook, check out Station's 11 page. Have some pretty cool training shots with the new towers and mini's.
Drew James
GA Paramedic
Quote:And I thought E11 ('82 Seagrave) went to form E15 (Then with a '83 ALF Century) which went to form E23 (Same '83 ALF Century and then a '02 Sp/Quality) and then...LOL.

Seriously though is the current incarnation of E11 ('09 KME Predator running out of St. 23) the 2nd or 3rd organization of that company? And why a 6-person crew?

I'm at the Station and don't have my records with me, but as I recall, Engines 15 and 23 both had ALF Century pumpers, not the same one. Engine 15 was closed for a while in the late 1980's while they rebuilt the station. I don't remember if they ran from another house or were temporarily disbanded, but they returned with the same rig. Station 23 was closed for a while due to cutbacks, but was returned to service when Station 11 closed. As far as I know, the current Engine 11 is the 2nd organization, at least in modern times.

The Squad was organized with a Chevy Step Van and a 4-door Chevy C-30 dually with a skid-mount dry chem unit (sorry, no pics of either). The first dedicated squad rig was the 1985 Pirsch/National Ambulance Builders heavy rescue. It was front-line until 1992, then reserve until the current E\-One arrived. The 1992 rig was the Spartan/Hackney, which may still be limping around the city.
[quote name='Ladder 68' date='16 August 2010 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1281997443' post='397662']

Dave and Jim...Great stuff. The history is almost as interesting as the rigs some times. Feel free to continue on with the history less of the AFD.

I know its a lot but does anyone have a unit history by chance? Or a brief rundown (if thats possible)?

Thanks again on the great information.

And I thought E11 ('82 Seagrave) went to form E15 (Then with a '83 ALF Century) which went to form E23 (Same '83 ALF Century and then a '02 Sp/Quality) and then...LOL.

Seriously though is the current incarnation of E11 ('09 KME Predator running out of St. 23) the 2nd or 3rd organization of that company? And why a 6-person crew?

Many thanks in advance.

[/quote]

KCFD runs six every day with seven assigned on the three Rescue Company's One officer, Two FAO, Three firemen. This is all due to the nature of the Rescue Company. They spit into three two person crews at fires, or one six person company if assigned RIT. If there is a tech rescue all three Rescues respond and it gives them Eighteen Tech level personnel for the situation. This has paid off numerous times at involved tech rescues. Rescue 9 controls Rescue 75 the tractor-trailer. Trucks and Pumpers are assigned five but most everyday ride four. The Tillers have two FAO's. Haz-Mat 71 has eight assigned. BC's ride a Chief and Captain-Safety Officer. Deputy Chief 101a, 101b, 101c is the only one that drives himself. They traded his aide ten years ago for a office assistant. The Air-Light Wagon has one FAO assigned. Pumpers 9,14,25,47 each cross-staff a specialty piece that is housed with them. This has worked well for KCFD but the regular constant staffing took years. It is a challenge.

KCFD is one of the remaining fire departments in the US where company numbers do not match. Pumpers and Brush Buggy's match the fire house except for Pumpers 9,32,71. Trucks are 2-15 with no 1,9,14. Rescue are 1,9,31 and this was due to the contract and FF bid system long story. Originally they were going to be 1,2,3. Battalion Chiefs are Car 102- Car 108. Car 101 is the City Wide Deputy Chief tour commander. Air Wagon 1 and Command 1 run from 47's Fire Academy, Command 2 runs from 14's, High-Rise 102 is at 7's with Pumper 9 and Truck 6, Rescue 63 is the Solid RED ARFF at Downtown Airport, Foam Tanker 1 runs from 27's with Haz-Mat 71, Pumper 32 is at 19's with Truck 7 and Pumper 19 and Pumper 71, Support 71 at 27's. When I first moved to KC I thought it was a crazy system but over the years I have grown to love the number system it is very traditional and fun to follow. Although it took some long hours hanging out at Fire Alarm memorizing the roster. One of the best parts is by maintaining the company number you can trace the company history. Pumper 4 and Truck 2 are the oldest continuous in service companies in the city. Wichita also just adopted the KCFD number model now they have Trucks 1-4 at 1,2,9,16's fire houses.

Stay Safe,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Does anyone happen to know the busiest firehouse in the city? And which firehouse gets the most fire calls? Thanks in advance
This unit ended up in West Point Va. Firefighter in Virginia bought it. He just this week sold to another party who is looking to fix it back up. Lettering stripped, missing ladders, hose,etc.

This is in referance to the # 5 Hendrickson Tele Squirt
[quote name='jim kay' date='25 July 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1280106903' post='394544']

The side view of Sta.18 which is an identicle mirror image of Sta.13

[/quote]

Although I am not a fan of new firehouse construction, this doesn't seem too bad. Its modern, unique, and looks like they did a good job with its construcion. Plus it has bifold doors, which is what most of ours are here in Washington DC.
Roy J. Ward
DCFD
Sergeant
Tower 3 Platoon 2
A group of folks, mostly members of the Metro Fire Association of Atlanta are in the early stages of working on a book documenting the history of the apparatus of the Atlanta FD. At this stage we are only rounding up info on the rigs and trying to locate pictures, especially of the older pieces. Even if the book is never published, we will have a good data base of the apparatus operated by the City of Atlanta.
Keeping the topic alive...

Effective December 23, 2010, AFRD placed two EMS Supervisor units in service. "EMS-1" runs out of #23 in a 2006 Chevy Suburban similar to the rig that Division #1 is riding in. It was formerly the EMS Chief's take-home car. (EMS #1 got the better end of the deal!)

"EMS-2" runs out of #17 in a 200? Ford Excursion. It was formerly the Battalion #4 buggy.

These units are staffed by paramedic captains. The former "PS-1" was staffed by a captain and the "PS-2" unit was staffed by a lieutenant EMT.

Both units are fully equipped and licensed ALS first responder units. They monitor EMS operations throughout the city and respond at the discretion of the captain on-duty. They are dispatched on confirmed life-threatening and multi-casualty situations, public safety injuries or on-duty illnesses, and unusual EMS situations encountered by field crews. These units handle day-to-day operations involving Quality Awareness and Quality Improvement, documentation of patient care, pharmacy management and documentation, incident investigations, on-duty injury investigations and follow-up, Daily contact with Medical Director / Medical Control, Daily contact with transport services, Hospital liaison / equipment recovery, Field training and remediation, etc, etc, etc...

EMS #1 on the C-Shift is piloted by yours truly. Will post pics soon...
Awesome Shoe..... Hope you enjoy the new position, anything you can update us on as to new equipment, apparatus sta. responses etc. What is the update on Sq.4 staffed yet, what sta. etc...
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1281961581' post='397569']

At that time, Engine 23 was not in service and Station 23 wasn't open. As I recall, the crew from Engine 11 became Engine 23 at Station 23.

[/quote]

Close, but not quite...

Station #23 did not close from 1994 to 97. It was staffed by a 2 person "Med-Com" unit which ran out of #23. They maintained those payroll positions as "Company #23".

The crew and apparatus from Company #11 moved to #15 and became Company #15. They kept Truck #11 and Engine #15 as separate companies to maintain payroll positions. (?)

Company #15 moved with their ALF to #23 and became #23 in 1997.
[quote name='jim kay' timestamp='1295734666' post='421635']

Awesome Shoe..... Hope you enjoy the new position, anything you can update us on as to new equipment, apparatus sta. responses etc. What is the update on Sq.4 staffed yet, what sta. etc...

[/quote]

Squad #4 is still cross-manned with Engine #8. Engine #36 is still in service running out of 9's. We're hearing that may take place in February. Both Mini-Pumpers are in service. One is at #11 and the other is at #23. They are cross-staffed, but this did raise #23's staffing to 4 so they can split the crew and staff the mini.
Does anyone have any more pics of the Chevy rescues based on the dually pickup chassis or any more pics of the cars/suvs? I've been wanting to later this summer come out with a set of 1/24th-1/25th scale decals for Atlanta. The more pics for the sheet, the better.

Nic
[quote name='ScaleCentral' timestamp='1295816966' post='421766']

Does anyone have any more pics of the Chevy rescues based on the dually pickup chassis or any more pics of the cars/suvs? I've been wanting to later this summer come out with a set of 1/24th-1/25th scale decals for Atlanta. The more pics for the sheet, the better.

Nic

[/quote]

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not. This is a 1984 or 1985 photo of Atlanta Rescue 2's 1981 Chevrolet.

- Photo by Steve Skaar

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='firebuff55407' timestamp='1295927408' post='421964']

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not. This is a 1984 or 1985 photo of Atlanta Rescue 2's 1981 Chevrolet.

- Photo by Steve Skaar

[/quote]

Thanks, that will work great.

Nic
While passing through Atlanta this weekend, I managed to get a little shooting in, catching five rigs. Attached is Engine 11's new KME. The remainder of the photos can be found on our smugmug.

Attached Files Image(s)

Do you have any new info on the tele-squirt?

[quote name='bjfirepro' timestamp='1291749241' post='414057']

This unit ended up in West Point Va. Firefighter in Virginia bought it. He just this week sold to another party who is looking to fix it back up. Lettering stripped, missing ladders, hose,etc.

This is in referance to the # 5 Hendrickson Tele Squirt

[/quote]
Atlanta Update:
  • Squad #4 went back in service and moved back to Station #4.

• Engine #6 is still at 4.

• Engine #36 was decommissioned. It had been running out of Station #9 due to the trailer being shut down because of mold.

• Engine #9 is an ALS engine.

• Fulton County Engine #23 is now covering Engine #36's territory and is dispatched by Atlanta 911 for those calls. This territory was previously FCFD #23's before the annexation.

• GSAR #6 is still cross-manned with Company #21.

• Company #14 is still the collapse / GSAR company. Truck #17 had previously become Truck #14.

• The Collapse Rig is now housed at Station #13, but Company #13 does not run it.

• Station #7 is still closed.

• Engine #8 is now just a BLS engine company.

• The rescue boats are being housed at Station #11. Training is pending.

• The staffing for the mini-pumpers did not last long.

• The City is trying to obtain property for a new Station #22.

• Groundbreaking for the new Station #28 will be in the next few weeks.

• Station #29 is currently closed due to a maintenance problem with asbestos.

• Engine and Truck #29 are running out of Station #3.

• Sandy Springs Quint #4 is still covering Engine #39's territory and dispatched by Atlanta 911. This has been going on for several years.

• Engine #27 has a territory in Sandy Springs and can be dispatched by ChattComm.

Thanks for the update Shoe, was sitting here thinking about what if anything new was going on in the AFD, So Trk 17 is now officially Trk 14 ???...... BTW any news on apparatus replacement for the aging fleet of Engines and Trucks and I am glad to see that the Squad is back inservice at Sta.4
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
B/C Shoe

Is it my understanding that Truck 15 remained in service when Tower 11 was (re) established? And thanks for the down low on Ladder 14. I saw pictures of it and figured they relocated to Oakland city from 17