Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierce 100th Anniversary Parade 7-13-2013
Quote:Next up were a couple of Oshkosh badged rigs heading to China.  There were probably another 10 pumper and 5 rescues parked around the plant that were nearly, if not totally, completed.  Because Oshkosh is a recognized name in China, it was easier to sell that brand than try and introduce the Pierce brand there.

Did you or anyone happen to get a close up or shot of these with the compartments open or the inside of the cab was just curious what china fire fighters like of dislike on their apparatus
Quote:The original Quantum prototype, Job Number E-8847, did look different than the production models.  It toured the show circuit as a cab/chassis unit.  Prior to being sold, the nose piece was replaced with a production style version and a pumper body added, along with a white/red paint job.  It was sold to New Martinsville, WV and later sold to the Southwest Ranches FD in Broward County, FL.

The Belgium, WI Quantum carries Job Number E-9284 and was the first one sold and delivered to a customer, in 1995.  Several more early production models were built as demo's, E-8884, later sold to Vero Beach, FL, E-8947, E-9024, later sold to Cottonwood, AZ, E-9025, later sold to the Fox Valley Technical College in Neenah, WI, and E-9026, later sold to Reynolds Store, VA.  All of these were built in 1995, but not sold/delivered until 1996 or 1997.

Funny story, I spoke with one of the original Quantum design engineers at FDIC a few years ago. He told me the original grill was made from tubular closet hanging rods. He told me the purchased them locally at a hardware store and cut them down to make the Quantum grill. He stated this is why there was a design change before production. I would also imagine this is why the front clip was changed on the original Quantum before being sold. We both had a good laugh as I was shocked at the basic simplistic ingenious design.

Stay Safe,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Quote: 

Doc, I believe Pierce has only become a force in the fire apparatus industry nationwide in the last 40 or 50 years.  While there are many existing examples of 100 year old Mack, ALF's and Seagraves, I have never seen a 100 year old Pierce fire truck.  Anyone who knows more about Pierce can correct me if I am wrong.
Sounds correct, but for such a "celebration" you would think they'd have some more of the older ( from the 60s and 70s) apparatus there! As someone already mentioned there are still some older aerials/snorkels with Pierce bodies, even if they're not in the area, they could have spent a couple of bucks to bring them to/from Appleton, I'm sure Pierce/Oshkosh can afford it. As far as the photo "police," I think it's disgusting, either you allow photos or don't.  Sounds to me like it was p*ss poor planning all around, but also sounds like corporate America at its best.

Pierce manufactured cars long before fire engines
Actually there is no connection between the Pierce Arrow Automobile company out of Buffalo NY and Pierce Manufacturing, the fire apparatus manufacturer of Appleton WI.

Here's a link to Pierce Manufacturing's timeline:  http://www.piercemfg.com/en/pierce/100th...eline.aspx

A.J.

A.J.Ramming
I actually co-authored the Pierce Illustrated History book for Iconografix.  From our research; Pierce first built fire apparatus bodies for The Rural Fire Apparatus Company and FWD around 1939 and built their first complete fire apparatus in-house around 1947, but really didn't begin marketing a line of Pierce fire apparatus until the early 1950s.  When we did the book, I know several vintage units dating back to the 50s still survived, especially with some of the little towns surrounding Appleton, like Dale.  Most people don't know that Pierce was actually completing around two dozen rigs per year as early as the mid-1950s and most of them for rural Wisconsin.  There are also plenty of 60s and 70s vintage Snorkels still around.  I'm surprised there weren't more vintage rigs on display.  I wish I could have made it for the festivities.     

Kent Parrish
Quote:I actually co-authored the Pierce Illustrated History book for Iconografix.  From our research; Pierce first built fire apparatus bodies for The Rural Fire Apparatus Company and FWD around 1939 and built their first complete fire apparatus in-house around 1947, but really didn't begin marketing a line of Pierce fire apparatus until the early 1950s.  When we did the book, I know several vintage units dating back to the 50s still survived, especially with some of the little towns surrounding Appleton, like Dale.  Most people don't know that Pierce was actually completing around two dozen rigs per year as early as the mid-1950s and most of them for rural Wisconsin.  There are also plenty of 60s and 70s vintage Snorkels still around.  I'm surprised there weren't more vintage rigs on display.  I wish I could have made it for the festivities.     

Kent Parrish
Thank you Kent! More people should have your book! On pg.12, you mention that Pierce destroys their files after 50 years.
How terrible that Pierce ignores history, and destroys it too...
I appreciate the photos that have been posted here.  That said, I have to agree with some of the comments regarding the lack of older examples, especially the Snorkel.  The relationship between Pierce and Snorkel is the very thing that led to Pierce becoming the industry leader they are today, hardly something to be overlooked when celebrating your 100th Anniversary. 

Quote:Thank you Kent! More people should have your book! On pg.12, you mention that Pierce destroys their files after 50 years.

How terrible that Pierce ignores history, and destroys it too...
When I visited, that was the reasoning I was given for the lack of historical photos, true or not.  I was truly shocked at how little there was.  The biggest manufacturer in the US...and its early history was contained to a couple of file folders in the cabinet in the administrative offices.  I was even given free run of the old plant...and found nothing there either.  I've heard reports of the "mother load" of old photos floating from location to location...and now nobody knows that happened to them. But, I'll never forget doing the book or that visit.  Shane and I would spend hours at night messaging on the computer selecting photos.  As for the trip...Doug Ogilvie picking me up at my hotel and driving me (25mph) to Helen Haase's house.  She was in her 90s then, sharp as a tack, and could still outsell any fire apparatus salesman.  I listened to story after story, while Doug Ogilvie slept in the recliner next to me!  LOL.  Doug and Helen MADE Pierce.  I think that when corporate conglomerates take over...the history goes to crap.  Same thing with E\-One.  Federal Signal took over...and pushed Robert Wormser to the side...and nearly killed E\-One (and did Superior and Saulsbury) in the early 2000s.  There were even rumors of Oshkosh shopping Pierce late last year!  But...such is the fire apparatus industry!     

Kent Parrish

I always thought they were one in the same. Thank you for setting me straight
Great shots! Some nice rigs there.

Mmmmh. I must say, that I expected a little bit more for the 100th anniversary of one of the largest fire apparatus manufacturers worldwide.

On the other side, Rosenbauer International came out in 2011 with an exceptional well done 358 page hardbound history book with hundreds of crisp clear and large format factory photos from about 1900 to the 1960ies. I hope, that they do a second volume with the apparatus from the 70ies to present.

Juergen Kiefer

Juergen

I'll have to agree with you on this.  The Pierce parade consisted mainly of brand new rigs that were awaiting final customer inspection and delivery with just a few antiques thrown in for good measure.  In comparison, I attended the 125th Anniversary and assembly plant opening at Seagrave back in September, 2006.  Their parade was filled with classic and historic Seagrave rigs, most of which were also on display inside the new plant building after the parade.  I also attended the new Charleston South Carolina American LaFrance assembly plant opening in 2007.  ALF also had a large display of privately owned historic and antique rigs on display inside the new plant, as well as making the ALF Historical Museum, which was located about 10 miles away, open to visitors the entire weekend of the plant opening.  Ironically, both Seagrave and ALF offered plant tours guided by employees who were both knowledgeable in their company's history as well as the current plant operations.  I went on tow tours at each plant.  No one at the Seagrave or ALF plants told me I was "taking too many pictures" either and their tours included the entire assembly process from building the chassis through the delivery process.  It really appears that this celebration was intended to be an employee / retiree open house and not geared to the company's past accomplishments.  Ironically, Pierce didn't even have a merchandise shop or area set up to sell things like caps, calendars, shirts, collectibles, etc.to visitors.  Not to come off as being disappointed, I just thought that Seagrave and ALF did a better job in meeting the interests of their employees and visitors alike at their events.

A.J.

A.J.Ramming
Did anyone catch the back of the body on the new Clearwater (FL) Impel Heavy Rescue (Rescue Squad 51)? Looked like a tribute to Emergency! Will post a pic if I can scale one down, but was pretty tight quarters - right across from a new Palm Beach Gardens engine. Also interesting to see that there was only one forward-facing seat in the rear cab, so guess the Squad runs 3-man?
How about a photo of the new PBG truck?

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Here's the new Palm Beach Gardens Impel engine...

Attached Files Image(s)

And here's the Clearwater Squad. Sorry for the angle - it is very long and was just inside an overhead door with quite the crowd passing through.

Attached Files Image(s)

Palm Beach Gardens appears to be going away from the "rescue engine" style bodies... shame! What's the story with the one oddball Saber with steel wheels?

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Kent the Pierce Book was top notch! One of my favorite Iconographix books

Worth every penny

Quote:Juergen

I'll have to agree with you on this.  The Pierce parade consisted mainly of brand new rigs that were awaiting final customer inspection and delivery with just a few antiques thrown in for good measure.  In comparison, I attended the 125th Anniversary and assembly plant opening at Seagrave back in September, 2006.  Their parade was filled with classic and historic Seagrave rigs, most of which were also on display inside the new plant building after the parade.  I also attended the new Charleston South Carolina American LaFrance assembly plant opening in 2007.  ALF also had a large display of privately owned historic and antique rigs on display inside the new plant, as well as making the ALF Historical Museum, which was located about 10 miles away, open to visitors the entire weekend of the plant opening.  Ironically, both Seagrave and ALF offered plant tours guided by employees who were both knowledgeable in their company's history as well as the current plant operations.  I went on tow tours at each plant.  No one at the Seagrave or ALF plants told me I was "taking too many pictures" either and their tours included the entire assembly process from building the chassis through the delivery process.  It really appears that this celebration was intended to be an employee / retiree open house and not geared to the company's past accomplishments.  Ironically, Pierce didn't even have a merchandise shop or area set up to sell things like caps, calendars, shirts, collectibles, etc.to visitors.  Not to come off as being disappointed, I just thought that Seagrave and ALF did a better job in meeting the interests of their employees and visitors alike at their events.

A.J.
The merchandise shop was in the blue room.