Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Trip 2013
Quote:Maui Ladder 3 - 2003(?) Pierce Dash 1500/300/100' RMA w/All Steer (they actually said it works pretty well now that it's finally been fixed), S/N #14411

Named Keka'a, which stands for black rock, a famous lava outcropping at Ka'anapali, just north of Lahaina.

[Image: attachicon.gif]Maui Ladder 3 (3), cropped.jpg

This is indeed a 2003 chassis John
All photos contained in this post are © Steven "Ash" Lindquist unless otherwise noted.

[url="http://usafirepix.net"]My Photo Collection Website[/url]
Maui Engine 14 - 2002 Pierce Dash 1500/1000(?) S/N #13111  Named Ho'oikaika, which, as near as I can tell, means bodybuilding or exercise.

Quote:[Image: attachicon.gif]Maui Engine 14 (4), resized.jpg

I show the pump/tank(s) as 1500/1000/30A

All photos contained in this post are © Steven "Ash" Lindquist unless otherwise noted.

[url="http://usafirepix.net"]My Photo Collection Website[/url]
The Peterbuilt tanker was I believe a Marco rebuild out of Pa. Unknown where it served prior. It's amazing to see where rigs that are for sale end up. Thanks for posting these photos. Hawaii has always been a neat place for rigs.
Quote:The Peterbuilt tanker was I believe a Marco rebuild out of Pa. Unknown where it served prior. It's amazing to see where rigs that are for sale end up. Thanks for posting these photos. Hawaii has always been a neat place for rigs.
Thanks for the feedback,  everyone.  I'm glad to be contributing photos that aren't often seen...

I'll update the postings later to reflect the correct information you've all given me.

When I get a chance I'll post the rest of Maui and O'ahu.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
O' Neil Seagrave was the dealer for the rigs. They were located in California back then. Los Angeles City F.D. bought many rigs from O' Neil Seagrave, back in the days......

Quote:Next stop was the island of Hawai'i, more commonly known as the Big Island.  Hawai'i is 4,000 square miles, making it the largest island in the U.S and comprising 62% of the land area of the State of Hawai'i.  The population is about 185,000. 

Best as I can determine, the Hawai'i County Fire Department has 20 stations (10 paid, 10 volunteer), covering the island.  They also run the EMS service out of the fire stations, too.

I stayed on the Kona (west) side of the island but unfortunately had very little time to pay any station visits.  So, the best I could do was visit a couple of stations (6 and 12) and grab a few quick shots.

Station 6 - Captain Cook

This station had no front ramp to speak of, the back was crowded with police and it was raining, so I didn't even ask to pull the rig out.

Engine 6 - Pierce Arrow XT

Medic 6 - Ford F-550/Braun Northwest
[Image: attachicon.gif]Hawaii Station 6 - Captain Cook (4), resized.jpg

Appears to be a Pierce Dash, the last cab style made before doing away with the Dash.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
I missed a couple of other Maui stations (10 in Kahului, for example), but I did my best.

Last up from Maui is the one that I absolutely had to get to:   Station 7 in Hana.    If you're not familiar with it, the Road to Hana (ie. the Hana Highway, Hawai'i Route 31) is a 2 1/2 hour drive covering about 40 miles, with something like 59 single-lane bridges, and 600+ turns!  It gets really crowded, so we left Kapaa at 6:00am to get to Hana before the traffic really got going.

The crew at the Hana Fire Station was absolutely great.  These guys do a 3-on, 6-off schedule (!) because Hana is so remote.  About 1/2 of the Station 7 crew actually lives in Hana; the others commute.   There is no such thing as help.  They have to handle everything that comes their way (averages about 1 call a day), including the Hana Highway 45 minutes west and east/southeast about as far.   To handle this they run an Engine, 4x4 Tanker and a Mini. 

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Maui Engine 7 - 2007 Pierce Arrow XT 1500/750 S/N #18984-02 (this is the twin to Engine 1 in Wailuku, posted earlier).

An interesting note is that the rollup compartment doors are starting to bubble from corrosion under the paint - It's that wet and salty there.  Not sure why they went with an aluminum body...

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Maui Tanker 7 - 2010 IHC/Classic Fire (E\-One) Pumper/Tanker 500/1800,  S/N #135613.

This is a great rig - So I need to post several pics

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Maui Tanker 7 - I forgot to mention that this rig is named "Kawaiola", which means something like "Water for life".   Definitely appropriate for a tanker.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Tanker 7 starting to flow water from the top monitor and side nozzles.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Fully flowing, now.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Showing the 2100 gallon port-a-tank.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote:Maui Engine 7 - 2007 Pierce Arrow XT 1500/750 S/N #18984-02 (this is the twin to Engine 1 in Wailuku, posted earlier).

An interesting note is that the rollup compartment doors are starting to bubble from corrosion under the paint - It's that wet and salty there.  Not sure why they went with an aluminum body...

Great shots as usual, John.  That body looks Stainless to me, although I'm sure the rollups are aluminum.
Quote: 

Great shots as usual, John.  That body looks Stainless to me, although I'm sure the rollups are aluminum.

That makes sense.  The body didn't appear to have any corrosion showing.  When he said "Aluminum", I figured he meant the whole thing, not just the rollups.

Thanks!

John
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote: 

Nice shots...

Firehouse Magazine did a piece on the fire apparatus of Maui.

http://www.firehouse.com/article/1046402...aui-county

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Firehouse Magazine did a piece on the fire apparatus of Maui.

http://www.firehouse.com/article/1046402...aui-county
Yeah, I saw that a couple of weeks ago.  Also, FAJ did one a couple of years ago.  I need to dig through my back copies to find it.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote:More than likely a reference to the clothing manufacturer that lots of surfers utilize would be my thought. Wetsuits, board shorts etc
Thanks Ash - I'll update the postings as I get a chance!  Glad to have the info.  Kauai was great - Lots of interesting apparatus to see, and really easy to find!
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801