Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Behind the fence rigs
Logan Aluminum

Russellville, Kentucky

1989 E\-One 1250/500/40F

This unit was replaced a couple of years ago with Rosenbauer Central.

Attached Files Image(s)

Air Unit 50

Logan Aluminum

Russellville, Kentucky

201? Saulsbury Ford 750/200/20F

This rig started out as Alcan Fire Dept. Oswego, New York 1983 Saulsbury GMC.  I do not know who did the refurbishment.  It runs as a brush truck and air supply unit. Photo by Tim Anderson, Logan Aluminum.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 55

Logan Aluminum

Russellville, Kentucky

201? Rosenbauer Central ?/?

This unit replaced the 1989 E\-One.  I have not seen it so don't have the specs.  Photo by Tim Anderosn, Logan Aluminum

Attached Files Image(s)

Alcan Jamaica Company

Port Esquivel, Jamaica

1991 E\-One 1500/750/75F

This rig has an interesting story.  Port Esquivel is an industrial port where we handled a lot of Bunker C and gasoline off-loaded from ships into storage tanks and then transferred to tank cars.  We wanted a foam pumper and had purchased three engines from E\-One in 1981 for Alcan Jamaica so we approached them again.  We did not want around-the-pump foam systems again but rather a balanced proportioning system.  At the time E\-One did not have anything to offer so approached National Foam,  National refused to supply them a system, which is understandable as why would they want to supply a potential competitor.  This rebuff by National was the catalyst for E\-One to approach Williams and ultimately develop their on line of foam pumpers.  This took some time and we could not wait.  So we decided to use Hydrachem nozzles and keep many barrels of foam on site. This unit was the first time we used 5 in. hose.  It was another first for E\-One as it was the first right hand drive custom they built.

An identical engine was acquired in 1996 for another Alcan plant in Jamaica and Alcoa Jamaica bought a similar engine in the late 1990's for their port which was across the bay from Alcan. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Ian, Thanks for posting all this stuff from your days at Alcan.  I have always been fond of Anderson's Engineering apparatus and knew of the existence of the engines they built for Alcan, but never got the chance to photograph them, so it is great to finally see photos of these trucks .

Schenley Distillery

Valleyfield, Quebec

1971 Pierreville Ford 625/500

Attached Files Image(s)

Logan Aluminum Air Unit 50 has a 1983 Saulsbury body.  Have not photographed it in its new form yet.

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY

Logan Aluminum Engine 55

2007 Freightliner/Rosenbauer-Central States 1750/500/50

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Kent,

Thanks for the update on Logan.  I spent a lot of time at Logan until Alcan sold off their interest in 2004.  While they did not have the biggest apparatus fleet in Alcan they set the bar very high for our industrial fire departments.

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec 

Engine 1

Ravenswood Aluminum

Originally Kaiser Aluminum and now Constellium

Ravenswood, WV

1978 Ward Lafrance Ford 750/500

Rebuilt in 1995 by Dill's Fire and Safety into 750/500/40F

When I was last in the plant in 2009 the rig was out of service and there was another Ford in the station which I understood was on loan from Ripley VFD.

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Imperial Oil Refinery

Montreal East, Quebec

1947 Lafrance 840/?F

The refinery, long closed, had two of these.  One was acquired by the Hudson, Quebec Fire Dept.

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Foam 1

Imperial Oil Refinery

Montreal East, Quebec

1976 Foam Boss CDN Ford 840/700F/55 ft. Squrt

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Churchill Falls Power Corp.

Churchill Falls, Labrador

1966 Thibault-IH 4 x 4 500/500

Churchill Falls is an underground hydro-electric generating station.

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Gulf Oil Canada Refinery

Montreal East, Quebec

1968 Thibault 1250/800F

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 4

Syncrude Fire Department

Fort McMurray, Alberta

1987 Anderson

Ian Stronach

Montreal, Quebec

Attached Files Image(s)

Ian, thanks so much for posting these awesome rigs!  What an awesome history lesson!

Great photos of some unusual trucks. Thanks for posting, Ian !

The Potash Corporation in their operations at Rocanville Saskatchewan Canada have this 2013 Hub built Freightliner M2 Compressed Air Foam System equipped pumper with a 840 Imperial GPM pump, 1000 IG water tank and 25 IG foam tank.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Three Mile Island in Dauphin County, PA operates this response vehicle for their property. I have no idea what it carries nor do I think I want the privilege. 

NDW Fire Department used to operate this KME Pumper at Bolling AFB in Washington DC.