Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Where are the Command Unit and Collapse Rescue Stationed?

Also can some post a list of what units are assigned where at the airport... I notice numbers dont seem to match up.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1340917196' post='490566']

Funny story about one of those Mini's. Not long after MP-44 was put into service, it responded to a car fire in one of the older decks that could be considered "tight". They used most of their water putting it out. When they tried to leave, they couldn't get out because the rig was taller without the weight of the water. They had to lay a supply line to refill where they were to get the rig out of the parking deck!

Did you drop your car off at CONRAC?

[/quote]

If CONRAC is the parking complex/garage in front of the passenger terminals then yes, I have no clue what CONRAC is.
[quote name='cml0774' timestamp='1346432489' post='496932']

Where can the year book be purchased;can you please post info

[/quote]

It's probably a bit too early for that. I'm sure info will be available when they are ready.
[quote name='Tim' timestamp='1346432859' post='496935']

Where are the Command Unit and Collapse Rescue Stationed?

Also can some post a list of what units are assigned where at the airport... I notice numbers dont seem to match up.

[/quote]

Last I knew....

Command @ Station 3.

Collapse @ Station 14.

Airport -

The engines are the only rigs that are assigned Station numbers.

The quints are at 24 and 40.

There are two Strikers at each of the five stations.

The two Strikers with Snozzles (ARFF-2 and 10) were at Stations 24 and 35.

MP-44 is at Station 32.

MP-50 and MP-51 were at the airport shop when I shot them, not sure where they are assigned.

Foam tanker was at Station 33.

Haz Mat is at Station 24.

Stair Truck was at Station 33.

Mass Casualty Unit was at Station 40 last I saw it.
[quote name='NJMedic' timestamp='1346433630' post='496936']

If CONRAC is the parking complex/garage in front of the passenger terminals then yes, I have no clue what CONRAC is.

[/quote]

CONRAC is a facility off airport property, west of I-85 where most of the rental car agencies store the cars they rent. You get there by an "automated people mover" (APM) train, similar to those that run between the concourses inside the airport. The location was once in the City of College Park, but then again, so was the entire terminal and the first two concourses! After you get your car, you drive back over I-85 onto the airport proper, then you can leave the airport. To return the car, you go to the airport and follow the signs that take you over I-85 and back to CONRAC. You then ride the APM back to the airport. The CONRAC facility also has auto servicing areas and filling stations, along with two massive parking decks that store something like 10,000 cars.
By Quints you mean the Towers right?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
[quote name='Tim' timestamp='1346469212' post='497013']

By Quints you mean the Towers right?

[/quote]

Correct.
Moving it back to the top. Atlanta placed an order with KME for 7 engines and 3 trucks! KME seems to be making alot of headway with their bids. I hope they turn out to be decent trucks.
Command is still at #3.

The Collapse Rig is normally housed at #13.

When #12 was closed for a re-renovation, Truck #12 was moved to #12 and the Collapse Rig was moved to #17.

I presume that it will be going back to #13. It is still operated by the crew from #14.

Not confusing at all, right?
Station #25 is currently closed for repairs. Engine #25 is running out of #17 and Truck #25 is running out of #5.

Quote:Station #25 is currently closed for repairs. Engine #25 is running out of #17 and Truck #25 is running out of #5.
Thanks for the update.  Have you seen the new pumpers yet?
Quote:Collapse Rescue

2009 International 4400/Interstate Truck Equipment

w/shoring trailer
Anyone have any additional shots of the Collapse Rescue and / or especially the shoring trailer?  I know, not the most photogenic rig - but always looking for ideas...

Thanks,

Gary
Wondering if there is any new station and / or apparatus updates for Atlanta

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Quote:Wondering if there is any new station and / or apparatus updates for Atlanta
AFD has taken delivery of several new KME pumpers that will go to Engines 6, 24, 28, 32, 36 and 40 (there may be more), but they are not yet in service.  They are all at the main shops and the Gestapo wouldn't let me in.  My spy at KME reports that the first of the TDA's should be leaving the factory soon.
Engine #28 is sitting in the new station, but it is not in service yet. Truck #14 has arrived. The MAB is also at the new Station #28. Division had their new Ford F-250, as well as Battalion 4 and 6. Engines 1 and 17 are also here but not in service.

While not Atlanta, Dekalb County awarded Pierce their bid for 9 new engines.

Thanks for the update Shoe... I have also heard that Sq.4 will be getting a new KME... and that Sta.7 will be opening up again.

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Quote:While not Atlanta, Dekalb County awarded Pierce their bid for 9 new engines.

That will be interesting.  I have always liked Dekalb's spec.  Nice simple Engines.  Look forward to seeing them.

On another Dekalb note, I see that they cancelled there bid request for a tower.  Wonder whats up?

Thanks

Johnny
Quote: 

That will be interesting.  I have always liked Dekalb's spec.  Nice simple Engines.  Look forward to seeing them.

On another Dekalb note, I see that they cancelled there bid request for a tower.  Wonder whats up?

Thanks

Johnny
The new bid should be posted soon.