Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Quote:Thanks for the update Shoe... I have also heard that Sq.4 will be getting a new KME... and that Sta.7 will be opening up again.
I don't know anything about a squad rig. 7 may open at some point, but don't expect to see an Engine #7.
Engines 1,6,16,17 and 28 are in their new rigs.

Quote:Engines 1,6,16,17 and 28 are in their new rigs.
Any idea when one of the new trucks will go into service?
Just got word that Engines 15 and 38 should have their new rigs in the next few weeks. Also, QIC 3 will be going into service at Station #17. The collapse rig will be moving somewhere. All three QICs will go 24 hrs on December 23, per Div. #1. If they follow the original plan, they will change the designations to QIC #4, QIC #16 and QIC #17. It doesn't appear that will be the case, but we won't know anything until it happens. I do not know what QIC #3(17) will be riding in.

QIC's ????

Quick Intervention Crew, from what I've read, it's basically a crew dedicated to more quickly arrive at emergencies in a smaller vehicle.

Credit to original photographer:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/99734256@N08/10355758636/

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:Quick Intervention Crew, from what I've read, it's basically a crew dedicated to more quickly arrive at emergencies in a smaller vehicle.

Credit to original photographer:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/99734256@N08/10355758636/
So basically, its a manpower squad?
Quote:So basically, its a manpower squad?
QIC = Quick Intervention Crew = EMS - ALS non-transport. Crew of two. Currently they are fill-ins from other units operating in peak time of 0700-1900. Word is that they will be 24 hours by the end of December. They are operating out of Ford Expeditions. I don't know what the third unit will be in. They are basically what the old "rescue" units were, just in an SUV.

They like their acromymns. I suggested "Medical Emergency Direct Intervention Crew", but they didn't go for it.

Quote:I don't know anything about a squad rig. 7 may open at some point, but don't expect to see an Engine #7.
I did hear discussion about a squad rig today. I also heard the Chief state that #7 will be open by June of 2014.
Nice update Shoe.... I had heard thru the grapevine that a new Squad was in the works. Also glad to hear tha 7's is opening back up.... The neighborhood deserves to have there engine company back..

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Engine 40

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Truck 14

Attached Files Image(s)

Squad 4

Attached Files Image(s)

I know they were turds but does anyone ever know what became of the 10wd Colets?

Attached Files Image(s)

I have a few questions regarding the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport stations. I know there are five current stations and they are staffed by Atlanta firefighters. Do they respond to areas outside the airport as well? How many crash trucks are currently in service? Are they busy companies?

Thanks

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
The Airport is Staffed by AFR they have responded off the field before but seldom happens, there ar 2 Strikers per Station so 10 of them total and there wer plans to order a spare this year.
In addition to the ten Striker's, those five stations house four engines, two quints, three medic units, three mini pumpers, a haz-mat unit, a stairway truck, a foam tanker, and a mass casualty unit.  Any and all of those apparatus are subject to responding to calls on the Interstates and Loop Road, which surround the airport, depending on the nature of the call and how it comes into their dispatch.  I have worked numerous incidents with them on I-85 and Loop Road, as well as training excersizes on the MARTA rails and the APM trains to the CONRAC facility.  In addition, they are responsible for response to the CONRAC facility for all incidents, which is located west of I-85 inside the City of College Park, but only accessible from the airport.  Airport units will also respond Mutual Aid to assist surrounding departments.  

Sounds like a good station assignment..thanks

Jeffrey W. Shippey

Frederick County, MD
Station #23 is currently closed for asbestos abatement and mold remediation. Engine #23 and Mini-Pumper #23 are currently running out of Station #8. EMS-1 is currently running out of Station #3. It is unknown how long the work will take.

Quote:QIC = Quick Intervention Crew = EMS - ALS non-transport. Crew of two. Currently they are fill-ins from other units operating in peak time of 0700-1900. Word is that they will be 24 hours by the end of December. They are operating out of Ford Expeditions. I don't know what the third unit will be in. They are basically what the old "rescue" units were, just in an SUV.

They like their acromymns. I suggested "Medical Emergency Direct Intervention Crew", but they didn't go for it.
The QIC units have been re-numbered since converting to 24 hour units. The unit number correlates to the engine company that they are quartered with, not necessarily the station. QIC 4 (Station 4) could have easily been confused with Quint 4 (Station 39 / Sandy Springs Station 4).

QIC #6 - Ford Expedition - Engine #6

QIC #16 - Ford Expedition - Engine #16

QIC #17 - Chevy Suburban (Formerly Batt. #4) - Engine #17