Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Does anybody have photos of the yellow tiller that was at the airport?  I tried searching for it, but couldn't find anything.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

I do!
I do.  I'll email you.

Quote:Does anybody have photos of the yellow tiller that was at the airport?  I tried searching for it, but couldn't find anything.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
There were two of them and I have shots of both.  Latest rumor is that they are planning on retiring the two Pierce platforms and getting two new TDA's.
Quote:Does anybody have photos of the yellow tiller that was at the airport?  I tried searching for it, but couldn't find anything.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
Shoop it may have been repainted. If you look at the pics of this one on this auction site the interior is green http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction...uc=1090513
That's the reason I was actually asking for photos. Waiting to see what the price is at, closer to the end.
Yellow 16, Atlanta, GA

1991 Spartan Gladiator/Simon-L.T.I.

0/0/110'

Attached Files Image(s)

Yellow 18, Atlanta, GA

1999 Spartan Gladiator/Simon-L.T.I.

0/0/100'

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow very interesting Dave... any reasoning behind going back to tiller's at the airport.. which I was surprised they went away with them in the first place...

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Quote:Wow very interesting Dave... any reasoning behind going back to tiller's at the airport.. which I was surprised they went away with them in the first place...
A lot of it has to do with the people who make those decisions, which changes more often than most folks realize.  The platform quints were brought in by someone who had plans of eliminating two of the four pumpers, which could reduce staffing.  At that time, AFD was talking about closing more companies.  He has since retired and staffing issues have relaxed.  His replacement does not share those ideas and is making the change back to separate engines and trucks.

Has there been any update on a possible replacement for Squad 4
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
at Fire Rescue East in Daytona I talked to the Regional Sales Director for Kovatch, he told me it was in the pipe to be ordered in April along with a couple more tillers and a couple more engines
at Fire Rescue East in Daytona I talked to the Regional Sales Director for Kovatch, he told me it was in the pipe to be ordered in April along with a couple more tillers and a couple more engines
Per a briefing from interm AFD Chief Baker (former ATL Airport Chief) at last week's buff meeting, they are going to order two more med units for the airport,  I would guess they will be Braun Superchiefs on Intl chassis.  The airport battn has also received permission to keep two existing Striker units when the replacements show up.  Not sure what the new rigs will be.  There were a some issues with parts availability on the Strikers, so the chief felt that they needed spares.  Also the current airport station 40, just south of 27L / 9R will be replaced.  New station 40 to be built right next to existing station, which will then be demolished.   The airport is also trying to keep one of the current quints as a spare for the new TDA's.

Not a great shot, but here is EMS-1. There are two EMS supervisor units and three Quick Intervention Crew ("QIC") units. 

The "Medical First Responder" lettering is required by state law. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Here is another photo of a squad unit running out of sta.1 in August of 1986.Not sure what there were called during this era.
That's Rescue #1.
Quote:Atlanta Ladder 39, 1975 TCM/Pirsch 85-foot MM aerial.

- 1984 Photo by Steve Skaar
This is actually Ladder #26 in front of Station #26. I could be wrong, but I don't think that there ever was a Ladder #39. They may have intended on putting it at #39 when it was lettered. Station #39 is now known as Sandy Springs Station #4. 

Quote:Atlanta Engine 21, 1982 Seagrave WB 1500/500 pumper.

- 1984 Photo by Steve Skaar
This is taken in front of Station #39 / Now Sandy Springs #4.
Quote:Atlanta Engine 15, 1983 American LaFrance 1500/500 pumper.

- Photo by Steve Skaar
This is taken in front of Station #29. 
Quote:Not a great shot, but here is EMS-1. There are two EMS supervisor units and three Quick Intervention Crew ("QIC") units. 

The "Medical First Responder" lettering is required by state law. 

Does the QIC units replace apparatus on medical runs? or just added to higher priority calls in addition to apparatus and EMS transport?

Drew
Drew James
GA Paramedic