Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keystone State Relics
Quote:Because here in western PA the forecasts are hardly correct.  After a snow storm and after the public works crews clear the streets, it may be days before the alleys are clear.  Better to have the chains on rather than need them and they were dropped.  Many departments will leave theirs on for  quite a few days just to be sure.
WHAT???  Your weathermen make mistakes???  OMG!!! Fireman

I grew up in western NY, along the shore of Lake Erie.  I was a member of a VFD there from 1982-1986.  During the winter months (Nov. - Mar.), we kept chains on one of our pumpers 24/7.  If the roads were bare, it sat and we took the other pumper, but if it was a big fire, the one with chains would roll as well.
Chains were also a necessity in far Western Maryland, I have a few rigs photographed with chains on and no snow evident. Considering what a P.I.T.A. to get them on, far better to leave them on than to have to go to the station at 2 A.M. to put them on in a "surprise" storm.
4WD engines and ON-Spot systems have certainly helped lessen this chore, along with warmer winters.
Quote:Chains were also a necessity in far Western Maryland, I have a few rigs photographed with chains on and no snow evident. Considering what a P.I.T.A. to get them on, far better to leave them on than to have to go to the station at 2 A.M. to put them on in a "surprise" storm.

4WD engines and ON-Spot systems have certainly helped lessen this chore, along with warmer winters.
Thanks, at least I know we are not the only ones.  All of our front line engines have auto chains.  Once the snow is over 3", we chain ALL of our rigs up and leave them chained until the streets and alleys are bare and no snow in the forecast.  Then we drop them.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Quote:WHAT???  Your weathermen make mistakes???  OMG!!! Fireman

I grew up in western NY, along the shore of Lake Erie.  I was a member of a VFD there from 1982-1986.  During the winter months (Nov. - Mar.), we kept chains on one of our pumpers 24/7.  If the roads were bare, it sat and we took the other pumper, but if it was a big fire, the one with chains would roll as well.
ONLY IN BASEBALL AND WEATHER FORECASTING CAN YOU FAIL 70 PER CENT OF THE TIME AND STILL HAVE A JOB.
In the DCFD we use Chains. When I was the Driving Instructor I taught the Rookies how to put them on. Most of the Rookies had never seen them . I learned my Chain instillation technique from some very wise Firemen at the Rockville VFD back in the day. I don't think On Spots will ever take the place of a set of tire chains.

Cosgr Stirpot ve

[color="#ff0000"][size="4"]Get In, Sit Down, Hold On and Shut Up[/size][/color]
Our rigs have 3 types of chains. automatic chains such as rudd. cable chains for 2 or 3 inch snows. and heavy chain chains for heavy snow and ice conditions.
Quote:In the DCFD we use Chains. When I was the Driving Instructor I taught the Rookies how to put them on. Most of the Rookies had never seen them . I learned my Chain instillation technique from some very wise Firemen at the Rockville VFD back in the day. I don't think On Spots will ever take the place of a set of tire chains.

Cosgr Stirpot ve
Cos, Angle~Cut 4x4??
Quote:Our rigs have 3 types of chains. automatic chains such as rudd. cable chains for 2 or 3 inch snows. and heavy chain chains for heavy snow and ice conditions.
Now Bob, you will never need them where you are, HaHa.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Quote:Now Bob, you will never need them where you are, HaHa.
You never know Ed they tell me they seen snow here in the 50"s LOL
Quote:Cos, Angle~Cut 4x4??
Angle
[color="#ff0000"][size="4"]Get In, Sit Down, Hold On and Shut Up[/size][/color]
Armstrong County

Kiski Township

August, 1973

no other information

Attached Files Image(s)

Allegheny County

Ross Township - Keating Fire Company

1974 Hahn

1500gpm

February, 1974

no other information

Attached Files Image(s)

Philadelphia

Truck 9

Seagrave KT

100FT TDA

November, 1972

no other information

Attached Files Image(s)

Allegheny County

Highland Hose Company - Tarentum

Squad 1

1972 Chevrolet/Reading

December, 1973

no other information

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Angle
OLD school!!
Quote:You never know Ed they tell me they seen snow here in the 50"s LOL

When my parents were alive a few years ago, they told me about the freeze and icing on roads. Wasn't the right way to get frozen orange juice fresh..... The "Yankess" did ok riding on the black ice. Some not used to it didn't..

Stay safe, Brothers.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
Quote:Allegheny County

Highland Hose Company - Tarentum

Squad 1

1972 Chevrolet/Reading

December, 1973

no other information
Still in service at Highland Hose.  The piece behind it is the old Tarentum Squrt.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Allegheny County

CITIZEN HOSE #2 VFD - NATRONA HEIGHTS

Dodge Power Wagon

no other information

Attached Files Image(s)

Lancaster County

Stevens

Chevrolet/Pirsch