Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Trip 2013
Quote:The Peterbuilt tanker was I believe a Marco rebuild out of Pa. Unknown where it served prior. It's amazing to see where rigs that are for sale end up. Thanks for posting these photos. Hawaii has always been a neat place for rigs.
You're absolutely right, Shoop.  It has Mar Co on the hood...  I wonder if anyone can track down the original Department and has photos?
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Quote:Some of you may recognize this rig - I sure did.  x-Honolulu Tanker 26. Peterbilt chassis with Westates (I think) bodywork.  Looks like Kauai bought it from Honolulu and looks to put it into service.

[Image: attachicon.gif]Kauai tanker (x-Honolulu) (3), resized.jpg
I'm thinking that Darley (note the Darley badge on the pumphouse) built this as I have a picture of one at the old Melrose Park plant being loaded for delivery. I will try and find it and scan it when I get home.
Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
Quote:I'm thinking that Darley (note the Darley badge on the pumphouse) built this as I have a picture of one at the old Melrose Park plant being loaded for delivery. I will try and find it and scan it when I get home.

FAJ did an article on Honolulu a few years ago. I'll go back through my archives; I bet it says in there, too. Thanks.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

I did the FAJ profile on Maui - one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I was actually on my honeymoon, so I didn't push it too far to photograph apparatus all week.  I got a nice mixture.  Even with making prior arrangements, getting POSED shots was difficult.  The crews were very friendly, but the whole "buff thing" and posing apparatus for photos is foreign to them.  Plus, most stations had no room to work with.  In their defense, their response times/distances are outrageous, so they need to eat/exercise/train/rest while they can and prefer not to jockey rigs around to where they can't get out quick.  We did not make it to Molokai and Lanai...obviously, they are a pretty good boat or helicopter ride.  It was interesting that, then, just one Battalion Chief covered all 3 islands.  If a serious run for Hana, Molokai, and Lanai came in...he was heading to the airport for a 'copter ride. 

Hana is an incredible location.  Jungle-like rainfall in between periods of sun.  Some of the most beautiful foliage and natural beauty I've even seen.  In fact, when we arrived, photos were out of the question.  By lunch, I had a ton of sun to play with.  We can't wait to go back...when the kids are older. 

Kent Parrish
Quote:I did the FAJ profile on Maui - one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I was actually on my honeymoon, so I didn't push it too far to photograph apparatus all week.  I got a nice mixture.  Even with making prior arrangements, getting POSED shots was difficult.  The crews were very friendly, but the whole "buff thing" and posing apparatus for photos is foreign to them.  Plus, most stations had no room to work with.  In their defense, their response times/distances are outrageous, so they need to eat/exercise/train/rest while they can and prefer not to jockey rigs around to where they can't get out quick.  We did not make it to Molokai and Lanai...obviously, they are a pretty good boat or helicopter ride.  It was interesting that, then, just one Battalion Chief covered all 3 islands.  If a serious run for Hana, Molokai, and Lanai came in...he was heading to the airport for a 'copter ride. 

Hana is an incredible location.  Jungle-like rainfall in between periods of sun.  Some of the most beautiful foliage and natural beauty I've even seen.  In fact, when we arrived, photos were out of the question.  By lunch, I had a ton of sun to play with.  We can't wait to go back...when the kids are older. 

Kent Parrish

Hey Kent - Thanks for the feedback. The crews were indeed great, even with my poor timing in a couple of cases. It's too easy to look at Maui and say "how far could it possibly be" to Hana, but if you actually drive it, it's no wonder there's no help. A 2 1/2 hour drive for backup isn't practical. I did note that it seems as if they have 2 battalions now. I saw one B/C Tahoe (Battalion 2, I figure) at Station 3 in Lahaina, but all I could get was a back-end shot. Battalion 1 was parked at Station 14 in Wailea, so I think they must have divided things up. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get Tanker 3's Tatra or the newer E\-One Typhoons they have, but like you said, you have to balance what the wife/kids will put up with (mine were great...this time Smile ).
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote:I did the FAJ profile on Maui - one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I was actually on my honeymoon, so I didn't push it too far to photograph apparatus all week.  I got a nice mixture.  Even with making prior arrangements, getting POSED shots was difficult.  The crews were very friendly, but the whole "buff thing" and posing apparatus for photos is foreign to them.  Plus, most stations had no room to work with.  In their defense, their response times/distances are outrageous, so they need to eat/exercise/train/rest while they can and prefer not to jockey rigs around to where they can't get out quick.  We did not make it to Molokai and Lanai...obviously, they are a pretty good boat or helicopter ride.  It was interesting that, then, just one Battalion Chief covered all 3 islands.  If a serious run for Hana, Molokai, and Lanai came in...he was heading to the airport for a 'copter ride. 

Kent Parrish

Kent - Did you happen to photograph Maui Rescue 10's IHC/Marion rescue when you were there?  I believe that rig is now on Kauai (see earlier in this thread), but I was unable to get a clear photo.  Let me know if you happen to have a photo.  I'd be very curious to see it.  BTW - I dug back through my FAJ's and found your article on Maui from 2008.  Great stuff!  John
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

John,

I really enjoyed the tour. I also had the opportunity to visit Maui back in 2011.

http://mnsand.smugmug.com/FireApparatus-...03_2T6bkj#!i=1332773084&k=gXWDCqh

This is a link to the Maui airport apparatus plus a few others.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, Va
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Quote:John,

I really enjoyed the tour. I also had the opportunity to visit Maui back in 2011.

http://mnsand.smugmug.com/FireApparatus-...03_2T6bkj#!i=1332773084&k=gXWDCqh

This is a link to the Maui airport apparatus plus a few others.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, Va
Great stuff, Mike - It was nice to see the elusive Tanker 3!   Thanks!

John
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Finishing up the trip on the island of O'ahu (i.e. Honolulu FD).

I only had a couple of days in Honolulu, and things were pretty busy, but I did my best.

Honolulu Rescue 1

2004 Spartan Gladiator Evolution/SVI - They had the boat trailer attached, but they had the boat out in the water.  Too bad.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Honolulu Ladder 2

20xx Pierce Quantum 100' TDA

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Honolulu Engine 7

<2005 Pierce Quantum

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

This photo has an interesting history.  One morning I woke up and saw a Honolulu Engine and Ladder parked amongst boom-lifts, cargo trucks, travel trailers, National Guard HUMVEES, etc... on the beach.  I gave my family a quick "I'll be right back" excuse and ran down to the car with my camera.  Driving over to where everything was parked, I quickly figured out it was a movie set.  So, I parked, got my camera and started wandering.  I didn't get far, due to the security.  Unfortunately, the Honolulu engine (E-10) had been moved into the secure area, but Ladder 43 was parked on the beach, ladder raised. 

I asked one of the headset-equipped people there "which movie is this" - my having noticed a set with destroyed-hotel-with-crashed-news-chopper-on-the-roof set, to which I got a vague non-answer (I looked it up later and figured out it is the remake of "Godzilla" (not sure if the bad Japanese dubbing will be included or not)). 

So, here is Honolulu Ladder 43 on the "set" of Godzilla.  Not a bad picture, If I do say so myself (they asked me to keep moving and not take pictures, so I'm lucky I got what I did...)

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

This classic Pirsch rig was parked adjacent to the Ford Island NAS Operations building/control tower at Pearl Harbor.

No info other than it's a 750gpm with probably a 200 or 300 gallon tank. It's in pretty good condition and probably lasted into the 60's or 70's, given the SCBA cabinets added above the rear wheels.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

I managed a couple of grab shots while on O'ahu.

First up is a brush unit on an IHC chassis.  Probably from the Navy base at Wahiawa on central O'ahu.  It was following one of the newer IHC/Pierce Contender Navy pumpers and was followed by one of the Ford F-550/Pierce mini pumpers.  But, this was the best I could do...

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Next up is Navy Engine 104.  Standard US Navy Pierce Contender pumper, stationed on Ford Island.  It was in a secure area of the base, so a long shot was all I could get.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Well, I hope you all enjoyed my tour of a few Hawai'ian Fire Departments.  I'm really pleased that I could shoot as many rigs as I did, and hope to get back there sometime. 

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

I liked the way the Ladder 43 photos came out, so I thought I'd put in another one, just for fun.   What better place for an apparatus shot than the beach with clear blue skies, eh?

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Here is a shot of the Rescue and Haz Mat when stationed on Maui. I was on the islands in 1994 and was married on Kauai in 1996. Was able to get multiple shots of Island, military and CFR apparatus on those trips. We used to have a Hawaii thread, (many moons ago) where most of my stuff and others had been posted. Maybe we need to resurrect it.

Scott

Attached Files Image(s)

Another of Maui Rescue when it was stationed on Kauai.

Attached Files Image(s)

One of the Seagrave running as Eng 2

Attached Files Image(s)