Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Forest Fire agencies
[Image: 031.jpg]

Vandenberg Hot Shot Crew Buggy. Quite a unique agency.
Quote:26 states have been represented so far.

Still missing are Alaska, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Don't forget Kansas we have three state forestry units and a full scale fire equipment loan program. Two units at the main office in Manhattan and one at Cimarron National Grassland in Morton County. Andy can post the photos. Here is the link to our site http://www.kansasfiretrucks.com/index.ph...estservice

Hutchinson Community College also has a wildland response team.

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I didn't forget Kansas, there is at least one post with the Kansas Forest Service. The list in my last post are the missing states.

Thanks for the link to Kansas Fire Trucks, it shows a lot more than the official Kansas Forest Service site.

Aaron Woods
I must say TN's rigs are rather boring looking as the are only pickups with a very small pump and tank.  Almost all of the forestry area in TN is covered by the USFS or local FD's.  I may have a pic somewhere for you though of one of the pickups.

Nic

I'd still like to see what you can turn up for Tennessee. Not every state has a large forest fire program, some simply provide money / equipment to local fire departments. I still find it intereting to see what each state runs even if it is only a sedan for an administrator who runs oversees the program.   

In addition to Calfire, there is the California Conservation Corps, a program based on the 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps to provide outdoor jobs for young people (18-25). These crews do a lot of local parks and forestry work, trail maintenance, small repairs of facilities etc.

They also frequently provide workers at fires and other emergencies. While they do have a handful of type 2 fire crews, most CCC crews work in fire camps as general labor supporting camp operation, directing traffic, picking up trash, running supplies in camp, setting up temporary fencing etc. Most of the time they are provided with pickup trucks when needed, but they do have a few specialized crew vehicles. Their fire crews are usually transported in a contracted bus like the federal on call crews.

Ford F550 crew buggy, there are a few seats in the box allowing 8-10 people (total) to be carried along with storage for equipment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
Another CCC buggy. This one looks very similar to those run by Calfire, so I assume it was either bought with a batch of theirs or provided second hand and repainted.

Aaron Woods
Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation crew truck.

This crew is part of an interagency Type 2 crew, part of the crew being provided by the state of Montana the other part from the USFS Helena National Forest.

Aaron Woods
Montana brings us to 27 states, 23 to go.

Among the missing are: 

Alaska

Delaware

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Mississippi

Missouri

Nebraska

New Hampshire

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Rhode Island

South Dakota

Tennessee

Vermont

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Here we have a Nevada Division of Forestry 1967 Ford water tender (ex US Navy fuel truck) and your's truly in my 1 hour -ish loan to the NDF as a tender operator circa 1999. 

Aaron Woods
This is about all you'll find for Indiana, unless the DNR program counts for anything

http://indianafiretrucks.com/Station.aspx?StationId=492

I have to dig up some photos from Tennessee of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park Service truck that I took a few years ago.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Based on the state website it would appear Indiana DNR - Forestry is one of those support the locals with training and equipment states, rather than field their own stuff. It would appear that takes the form of grants and surplus Federal equipment. So a DNR pickup or something is probably about all that can be expected (still welcome though) unless they have a program like Texas (TIFMAS) or California (OES) identifying it as DNR provided. 

NPS is Federal, nice website though. When I worked in Yosemite we had a couple of old Schwinn bikes we marked like the fire engines, even had a big basket on the front. Guess we were not the only ones to think of that. In many of the parks due to the high volume of tourist vehicle traffic a bicycle really is the best way to get around in a hurry.

Aaron Woods
You are correct in the aspect of skid mounted pumps in the back of pick up trucks, they are all over the place around here, as well as surplus military 6x6s.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
I have better pictures but in order to represent, here is a older South Carolina Forestry Commission unit.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 1393858514_zpse5a6a52b.jpg]

North Carolina Forest Service Unit

Shot at an Advance VFD event in Davie County.
Here are a couple of shots from Louisiana's Department of Agriculture and Forestry, Division of Forestry Protection

[Image: 14320018946_d6d1a32da4_b.jpg]

[Image: 14156654277_ede48df434_b.jpg]

[Image: 14320019276_48b822e778_b.jpg]

[Image: 14320019766_ffac12487a_b.jpg]

[Image: 14169420428_23cb8b139b_b.jpg]

Quote:Here are a couple of shots from Louisiana's Department of Agriculture and Forestry, Division of Forestry Protection

[Image: 14320018946_d6d1a32da4_b.jpg]

[Image: 14156654277_ede48df434_b.jpg]

[Image: 14320019276_48b822e778_b.jpg]

[Image: 14320019766_ffac12487a_b.jpg]

[Image: 14169420428_23cb8b139b_b.jpg]

Thanks. Never seen anything from Louisiana. Any idea how many "offices" they have?
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Not sure how many offices they have but I get the impression it's not many, judging from their website.

South Dakota Department of Agriculture Division of Wildland Fire Suppression Crew truck

Aaron Woods
Washington Department of Natural Resources H5S Type 5 fire engine. Shop built by the DNR.

100gpm 4 stage aux pump (Wajax BB-4), 600 gallon tank

Aaron Woods
Wyoming State Forestry Division type 6 engine.

Aaron Woods
Louisiana, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming brings us to 31 states, only 19 to go.

The missing include.

Alaska

Delaware

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kentucky

Maine

Mississippi

Missouri

Nebraska

New Hampshire