Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private contract fire equipment
Thanks for the heads up guys, I do believe those are it. Surprisingly, I thought the open tank would be the easier find, I actually heard about that from more that one employee (lived 20 mins from S&S when in Fairmount) that had no connection to each other...

As far as practicality, remote locations that air tankers can't get to

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
If you can get a water tender there, it isn't that remote. It is possible someone did spec out the trucks with an opening lid, but I doubt it was used operationally, as it would be a high risk operation to both equipment and personnel. Even from a very low drop height the water leaving a helicopters bucket has a lot of force that has a lot of potential to damage a standard tank. The chances of the bucket snagging on the truck would be significant as well (they would have to almost put the bucket in the tank). 

There is a piece of equipment out there now that will do the same job though, the Klump pump. Check out the construction of the tank, quite a bit beefier than your standard portable tank or even fixed tank on a vehicle. Also a nice wide area with a relatively low base height making the pilots job a little easier.

http://www.uni-engine.com/gallery.html

Aaron Woods
When you have really big trees it is common to bring out commercial tree felling teams. Here is a rig from Spar Tree Forestry of California.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
Not a really exciting piece of equipment but Hand washing and shower units require a lot of potable water.

Here is a potable water truck from Ben Fire Support Equipment of Gridley, CA

Aaron Woods
In Country Engines (ICE) of Burns, Oregon operates this engine with a 1000 gallon tank. Like the Champion engine posted earlier this configuration allows the contractor to meet the specs for a Type 3 engine or Type 3 water tender.

Aaron Woods
Many of the timber companies in Oregon and Washington state operate contract type 2 crews. Their preferred transportation method is a pair of 10 person vans with tool racks on top.

Operator unknown. Sorry for the blurriness, it was an early morning shot and the light wasn't that great.  

Aaron Woods
Red Rock Fire is based out of Forst Lake, MN

E-5  2003 International 4400/Tom Conway 120/1000/20   I believe this is classified as a Type 4.

E-8 is classified as a Type 3 and was built on an International 7400 chassis with fabrication done by Red Rock Fire.

2010 International CXT/RRFD  500/600/20.  From the website, the pump will put out 250GPM @250 PSI.

Based on the specs you posted, then yes, the first would be a type 4, the second a type 3.

Not familiar with the company, but nice looking trucks.

Aaron Woods
Quote:Does anyone have any photos (or even know what I'm referring to) in looking for, I think, 2 Blue Kenworths built by S&S years ago, I believe as tankers, for a private contractor? Now comes the part where I may be getting my stories mixed up, there is also 1 or 2 tankers built by them, that apparently the top of the tank opens up, and on the floor of it is a Bullseye for air tankers to drop water in from above.

Sound remotely familiar to anyone?

Trav!
S&S built these tenders on Kenworth 6x6 chassis for North Tree Fire in California. I have a S&S brochure, showing these units.
Thanks! If you ever want to get rid of that brochure, let me know!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
A type 5 engine with a 600 gallon tank built on a Ford F550. Operated by Osborn from Oregon.

Aaron Woods
Shot from the rear showing the tank better. That is a lot of water for an F550.

Aaron Woods
Type 2 water tender built on a GMC Brigadier, operated by Sierra Water Shuttle of California. 

Aaron Woods
Type 6 engines operated by AAA Thunderbolt of John Day, OR

Aaron Woods
Wheeled Skidgine operated by Outback Wildfire of Prineville, Oregon.

50 gpm aux pump, 850 gallon tank.

Skidgines are (generally) retired tracked or wheeled logging skidders with a pump and tank replacing the logging equipment. They have excellent mobility getting into places more traditional fire apparatus can't reach. They are primarily found in the Pacific Northwest but are becoming more common in other heavily forested parts of the Western US.

Aaron Woods
Tracked Skidgine operated by Outback Wildfire of Prineville, Oregon.

50gpm aux pump, 950 gallon tank.

Aaron Woods
Great pics and info thanks Aaron
2002 Ford F-800 extended cab Type 4 engine.

100gpm 4 stage aux pump, 800 gallon tank.

This is one of the more interesting contract engines I've run across, the operator is also the owner and builder.

The chassis was a salvaged utility company truck, the cab from the firewall forward is from a 1986 Ford F-800, from the firewall back an extended cab Ford F-250. All new motor (Cat 3208) and running gear, the utility body was purchased second hand from another utility company, and the space created by the removal of the boom equipment fit the 800 gallon tank perfectly. Due to the extreme rebuild the Department of Motor Vehicles allowed it to be registered as a new truck when completed (2002).

The pump and controls are located inside the front drivers side compartment, a remote start and throttle are located in the cab.

Aaron Woods
Tactical water tender and Skidgine operated by Obadiah's Wildland Firefighters of Yaak, MT.

The tender doubles as a tow vehicle for the skidgine.

Aaron Woods