Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maryland photo's
    [quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='280166' date='Feb 8 2009, 15:06 ']1950's Chevy/Oren? 500/?

5TH District VFD of Clarksville, Howard Co.

was this purchased from Ellicott City?

Jenkins collection[/quote]

1948 Chevrolet/F L Anderson Company Baltimore. 250 gpm pump, unknown tank. later sold to Lisbon VFD, also of Howard County and painted white over red using the diagonal style on the door seen on many American brand pumpers. I will check the Lisbon book tonight for exact dates and more info.
1948 Chevrolet/F L Anderson Company Baltimore. 250 gpm pump, unknown tank. later sold to Lisbon VFD, also of Howard County and painted white over red using the diagonal style on the door seen on many American brand pumpers. I will check the Lisbon book tonight for exact dates and more info.

[/quote]

Thanks, always good to know about another F.L. Anderson rig!

Here's another from Walkersville,MD., I have this as a 1952? Chevy COE/F.L. Anderson 500/1000, corrections welcome.

J. Woods photo, Jenkins collection

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='280595' date='Feb 9 2009, 20:36 ']1948 Chevrolet/F L Anderson Company Baltimore. 250 gpm pump, unknown tank. later sold to Lisbon VFD, also of Howard County and painted white over red using the diagonal style on the door seen on many American brand pumpers. I will check the Lisbon book tonight for exact dates and more info.

Thanks, always good to know about another F.L. Anderson rig!

Here's another from Walkersville,MD., I have this as a 1952? Chevy COE/F.L. Anderson 500/1000, corrections welcome.

J. Woods photo, Jenkins collection[/quote]

I believe that this is a 1955 Chevrolet. GM changed to the single piece windshield in 1954 and kept it for the "early" 1955 Pick-ups and all year for the 1955 COE's.

Hope this helps.

A.J.
A.J.Ramming

Lisbon had two F L Anderson Company pumpers in service at one time.

This 1948 REO front mount pumper illustrates the paint scheme that the 5th District piece would be painted.

The bell from the REO still hangs on the wall in the Lisbon station.

F L Anderson Company archive photo.

In 1973 the Lisbon REO ended up a the famous (infamous?) Jack Slagle's in South Boston Virginia.

You gotta love all that old brass in the showroom window!!

My photo from 1973.

1964 International/F L Anderson Baltimore brush truck.

Long Green Volunteer Fire Company, Baltimore County.

250gpm/200 gal? tank.

F L Anderson Company photo archive.

Long Green VFC 1964 International/F L Anderson rear view.

F L Anderson Company photo archive.
1955 Dodge/F L Anderson

500GPM

Powhatan Beach VFD AACO E-152

Anyone have a list of F.L. Anderson rigs?

Here's another little-known maker; Southern Fire Apparatus of Roanoke, VA., owned by Charles Baker.

He delivered this 1945 Ford 500/500 to Smithsburg VFD, Washington Co., where it is still owned by a vfd member.

Warren Jenkins photo

[quote name='maxwell48098' post='280745' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:48 ']I believe that this is a 1955 Chevrolet. GM changed to the single piece windshield in 1954 and kept it for the "early" 1955 Pick-ups and all year for the 1955 COE's.

Hope this helps.

A.J.[/quote]

Walkersville VFD offered this Chevy for sale in July of 1978. The ad states that it is a 1954 with a new motor in 1976

and had less than 2000 miles on the odometer. Pump and tank were 500/1000.

Lisbon purchased the Chevy from 5th District in September of 1964 and paid $1000.00. They list the tank size as 500.

The unit remained in service until 1971.

The F L Anderson Company produced about 55 pieces of apparatus between 1939 and 1964 in addition to selling Maxim.

The Anderson units included brush trucks, midship and front mount pumpers, rescues, tankers and even a airport crash truck as well as a few rehabs. Deliveries went mainly to Maryland, but there were some to VA and PA.
Pleasant Valley had this nice 1960 Chevy C 80 with bodywork from American LaFrance, 750 gpm/ 500 water. Virginia McLaughlin photo

The Upper Montgomery Co. FD operated this interesting 1972 Diamond-Reo with bodywork from Oren, 750 gpm/ 500 water. Chuck Madderom photo

Engine 171 from Laytonsville was this 1981 Autocar Construcktor with bodywork from 3-D Fire Apparatus, 1000 gpm/ 500 waer. Virginia McLaughlin photo

Truck 27 in Long Meadow was a 1956 Pirsch with 750 gpm/ 200 water and 75' ladder. Virginia McLaughlin photo

Squad 322 in Pikesville was a 1981 Peterbilt with Swab bodywork. Later in it's life it was in service in PA. Virgina McLaughlin photo.

Squad 19 from the Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad was this rather well known 1982 Kenworth with Saulsbury body. Virginia McLaughlin photo

Squad 2 in Ellicott City was a 1984 GMC Astro with Ranger bodywork. Virginia McLaughlin photo

Squad 29 from the Wheaton Vol. Rescue Squad was a 1986 Pemfab T-942 with Ranger bodywork. Virginia McLaughlin photo.

Is this truck still in service ?

[quote name='kieferfire' post='281007' date='Feb 11 2009, 14:09 ']Squad 29 from the Wheaton Vol. Rescue Squad was a 1986 Pemfab T-942 with Ranger bodywork. Virginia McLaughlin photo.

Is this truck still in service ?

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=43595][/quote]

This truck is/was serving the Horry County Rescue Squad in SC now.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Woodland Beach VFD AACO Eng 2-3

1948 International KB-7 /Southern Fire Apparatus 500/600 American Marsh Pump

I thought this was an American Fire Apparatus for many years but I got recent documentation that confirms Southern Fire Apparatus. The salesman was Glenn D. Culbert who went on to form his own company selling American Fire Apparus and Pirsch and maybe others in College Park, MD.

Attached Files Image(s)