Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Here is the (older) E\-One Air Cascade Truck parked behind Station 7 next to the Shops.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Here is the (older) E-One Air Cascade Truck parked behind Station 7 next to the Shops.

And just to clarify, this is the SCBA shops, not the apparatus shops.
Great thread! Did the department get any apparatus for the Olympics that they still have now, or was that all temporary stuff?
Dave, nice job!

To add a little to what you said: The AFD is currently divided into 6 Battalions:

Battalion 2: Stations 8, 9, 16,22, 28, and 38

Battalion 3: Stations 1, 4 (companies 4 &6),12, 15 and 23

Battalion 4: Stations 5, 7, 14, 17, 20, 25, 31, and 36

Battalion 5: Stations 2, 10, 13, 18, 30, and 34

Battalion 6: Stations 3, 19, 26, 27, 29 and 39 (Fulton Co.)

Battalion 7(Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport): Stations 24, 32, 33, 35, and 40

Battalion 1 was disbanded in about 1995 (I don't remember exactly when). Since it covered the center of the city, some of the other battalions just extended their territory to cover it. For the record, I was the Battalion Chief's aide on Battalion 1 for the last 2 years it was in existance.

Of course, all of this is subject to change, as I understand that Battalion 1 will be re-instituted on July 1st.

Dave, the Air Truck has been called "Air 7" for the last several years. In fact, all of the "car" designations have been done away with - for instance, the Deputy chief who used to be dispatched as "Car 102" is now simply "Chief 102", and "Car 727" is now "Investigator 727" etc.

As far as the Olympics, as far as I remember, all of the additional aparatus that we got for them was loaners - mostly from the DoD.
Talk about span of control issues. It would seem that from an administrative stand point alone that is too many station/companies. Factor in fire ground span of control and it is way out of wack.

Love the details, thanks.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Quote:Did the department get any apparatus for the Olympics that they still have now, or was that all temporary stuff?

Quote:As far as the Olympics, as far as I remember, all of the additional aparatus that we got for them was loaners - mostly from the DoD.

There was an article published in FIRE SERVICE DIGEST years ago, that told the story about the "Olympic Fire Department". I'll post that article tomorrow, after I dig it out and copy it, along with some pics of AFD apparatus.
Oh, and thanks, Tom2e, for the updates on Air 7 and Engine 36. Gotta get out there and get some pics!
Just a couple photos this morning then off to work.Here's aphoto of Engine 6

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
The old Light truck at Sta.10 did not get the specifics on it yet...

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Thank all of you for all the info. Atlanta and the area are departments that I don't know much about. The span of control issue does seem large but it seems that managment has faith in thier company officers. I did visit one of the Stations at Hartsfield in 2001. I will post the photos of it this weekend if I have the time.
Interesting thread. For the Brothers on the job in Atlanta, what was your take on Dennis Rubin as chief? I see that he's since left to become the new COD in D.C.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Quote:The old Light truck at Sta.10 did not get the specifics on it yet...

It's a 1963 Chevy T-60 with a 1940 AFD shop-built body that carries a 12 Kw. generator. The body was originally mounted on an International K Series chassis. It carries cord reels and both mounted and portable lights.
Engine 51, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1980 PemFab/Fire Trucks, Inc.

1000/500/50F

Naval Weapons Station, Yorktown, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 52, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1996 Simon-Duplex/Ladder Towers, Inc.

1500/250/75'

Factory Demonstrator

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 62, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1980 PemFab/Fire Trucks, Inc.

1000/500/50F

U.S. Army, Fort Stewart, GA

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 72, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1983 Spartan/Fire Trucks, Inc.

1000/500/50F

U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, FL

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 73, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1986 Pierce Dash

1000/750/100F

Naval Air Station Willow Grove, PA

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 81, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1986 Pierce Dash

1000/750/100F

Great Lakes Naval Training Center, IL

Attached Files Image(s)

Truck 81, 1996 Olympic FD, Atlanta, GA

1996 Simon-Duplex/Ladder Towers, Inc.

2000/250/102'

Factory Demonstrator purchased by Carolina, Puerto Rico.

Attached Files Image(s)