Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crown Firecoaches
Ford / Crown / Pierce squirt

San Francisco FD, still in use by the SFFD as a special call unit.

It was built by Pierce but sold through Crown so has Crown markings

Photo by Aaron Woods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aaron Woods
[quote name='Aaronw' date='05 January 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1262741569' post='356672']

1966 Crown

Ex Felton FD (California)

Now privately owned

Photo by Aaron Woods

[/quote]

For anyone who thinks this may look similar to the Crown my family owns, this is the the older sister. The Crown was first purchased by Live Oak/Santa Cruz Cnty-Central Fire District and then sold to Felton, CA along with our Crown F-1627
[quote name='Aaronw' date='05 January 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1262741819' post='356673']

Ford / Crown snorkel

Avalon FD (Catalina Island, CA)

Now privately owned and used to promote a firefighter themed BBQ in Big Bear, CA

Photo by Aaron Woods

[/quote]

This rig recently was for sale on Craigslist but not sure if it was ever sold.
[quote name='Aaronw' date='05 January 2010 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1262741996' post='356675']

Ford / Crown / Pierce squirt

San Francisco FD, still in use by the SFFD as a special call unit.

It was built by Pierce but sold through Crown so has Crown markings

Photo by Aaron Woods

[/quote]

San Francisco had three of these 1974 Ford C/Crown/Pierce 54' Squrts. The were originally assigned as Attack-Hose units at Stations 1, 5 and 7. I've never seen any Crown serial #'s for these, but they are Pierce #'s 8099-C1 thru -C3.
If anyone has info on the Avalon Ford/Crown Snorkel for sale, please contact me.

Thanks!!

Scott
[quote name='firebuff55407' date='05 January 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1262752044' post='356720']

San Francisco had three of these 1974 Ford C/Crown/Pierce 54' Squrts. The were originally assigned as Attack-Hose units at Stations 1, 5 and 7. I've never seen any Crown serial #'s for these, but they are Pierce #'s 8099-C1 thru -C3.

[/quote]

Steve,

I know you have pictures from all over to share, with real good details and unit information. You wouldnt happen to have San Fran would you, and if you do would you post them, or redirect me to were you might have already did that.

Many Thanks.
Quote:San Francisco had three of these 1974 Ford C/Crown/Pierce 54' Squrts. The were originally assigned as Attack-Hose units at Stations 1, 5 and 7. I've never seen any Crown serial #'s for these, but they are Pierce #'s 8099-C1 thru -C3.

According to the book "Crown Firecoach History" by Ed Hass, they did not have F numbers.
There is a General Motors commerical running here in the NYC area that features a Crown engine. The plot is that by using On-Star emergency services are just a few minutes away.
[quote name='NJMedic' date='06 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1262792600' post='356753']

There is a General Motors commerical running here in the NYC area that features a Crown engine. The plot is that by using On-Star emergency services are just a few minutes away.

[/quote]

Correct! It is the same rig that's posted earlier in the thread as E-89 with LACoFD. It is currently owned by a gentleman who supplies fire apparatus to the studios in Southern California. I had the opportunity to take that rig for a little spin last summer while on vacation.
[quote name='NJMedic' date='06 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1262792600' post='356753']

[/quote]

Saw it down this way too.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
F-1627

1970 Pumper

Photo Credit: Chris Arnold

An in service shot in its early years. Added to my thread in the members rig section too.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Aaronw' date='05 January 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1262741569' post='356672']

1966 Crown

Ex Felton FD (California)

Now privately owned

Photo by Aaron Woods

[/quote]

An early in-service shot of this rig.

Photo Credit: Chris Arnold

Another view of the SFFD Crown / Pierce, you can make out the Crown logo on the back, just below the squirt boom.

Photo by Aaron Woods

Anyone have any photos of Oakland's Crown Snorkel or know where it ended up?

Aaron Woods
[quote name='Aaronw' date='06 January 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1262812596' post='356816']

Another view of the SFFD Crown / Pierce, you can make out the Crown logo on the back, just below the squirt boom.

Photo by Aaron Woods

Anyone have any photos of Oakland's Crown Snorkel or know where it ended up?

[/quote]

While this isn't the best photo, I believe this is a Bob Allen photo of Oaklands 1962 Crown 1250/85'Snorkel, Crown #F-1283, that is part of the Paige Van Vorst collection. I have no idea where this ended up.

Attached Files Image(s)

I took this picture of a Crown engine almost 10 years ago. I don't have many details about it except it was a reserve engine in the Marysville/Snohomish County Fire District 12 (Washington State) at the time.

Brian Birmingham

[url="http://www.bbirmingham.com"]bbirmingham.com[/url]
Corvallis,OR

1956 Crown

1000/500

Madderom photo/Commish collection

Attached Files Image(s)

Multnomath County,OR

1975 Crown 75'

C Madderom photo/commish collection

Attached Files Image(s)

This truck is alive and well and is in good hands with his brothers

[Image: PK9.jpg]

[Image: PK11.jpg]
How come west coast fire trucks seem pretty boring, no bells and whistles ( mars lights, roto rays, chrome bells) not saying they are ugly just plain.
[quote name='gileng4' date='11 January 2010 - 03:07 PM' timestamp='1263239266' post='357863']

How come west coast fire trucks seem pretty boring, no bells and whistles ( mars lights, roto rays, chrome bells) not saying they are ugly just plain.

[/quote]

They seem like pretty standard, good work trucks. Your info says you live in MD in the center of "bells and whistles" territory. The trucks in your area are definitely well equipped with appearance-oriented warning lights and options that make for beautiful parade pieces.I think you will find that once you leave the mid-atlantic states and Long Island the amounts of these types of options decrease dramatically. I think this is a cultural, in addition to financial, thing. I am dreaming of the day I can build a truck with a B&M siren, Powercall electronic siren, twin Mars lights and a roto-ray, but the likelihood that will happen with the differences in culture is slim as in my area these are considered frivolous and "whacker" items.