Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Here is a photograph of the main station at Pennington Gap. The building is old and needs some work, however I was very impressed with the dedication I saw. If the two gentlemen who helped me out were any indication of the committment at Pennington Gap, they have a bright future.

I was told Pennington Gap has another substation that runs an engine, but they were not able to tell me the make/model.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
It was a bit on the warm side when I left Pennington Gap to get to my second meeting. I did not have time for lunch, however the two gentlemen at Pennington Gap equipped me with two Pepsi's to send me on my way. After my second meeting in Pennington Gap, I started heading back to Norton for another nights stay. I had to travel through Big Stone Gap, Virginia. However, with the sun trying to come through, I decided I might as well attempt to find the Big Stone Gap Volunteer Fire Department and see what I could find. Glad I made that decision.

The guys at Big Stone Gap were just terriffic. I was warmly welcomed by the Chief and when I told him I wanted to get photographs of the apparatus, he asked all of the drivers to grab a truck and head up towards a good photo location. However, before he did that, he had to make one phone call. The area we were heading to was up the mountain to the Wallens Ridge State Prison. He called the prison to let them know a group of fire trucks were on the way but there was no concern and no need for a lock down. The Chief told me that there is a larger parking lot in the front of the facility with the mountains in the background. He thought it would make a good location. Once we got up the mountain and I saw the location, I told him he was hired.

Big Stone Gap purchased two 3D Metal fire trucks in 1998.

Engine 2 is a 1998 Freightliner 80/3D Metals with a top mount 1250gpm/1000gwt. It carries serial number 2893.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Big Stone Gap's Engine 3 was built right after Engine 2 at 3D Metals and carries serial number 2894.

1998 Freightliner 80/3D Metals

1250/500

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This was another nice find on my trip.

Big Stone Gap purchased this 1989 Spartan/Boardman with a 1000/1000. In 2005, the department did work on the truck and added a four door enclosure.

1000/1000 with Boardman serial number F2805.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is a different angle on the Boardman cab enclosure.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
You might have noticed from the Big Stone Gap photos the darker clouds in the background. My entire three days in SW Virginia was like this. I expected to have rain at any moment, and the sun would come through. Or, the sun was out and just gone. It was totally unpredictable weather.

Not far from the prison, the Big Stone Gap VFD operates a substation. I was told that this station helped lower the ISO rating and it was good for the FD to have a station close to the prison in the event that an emergency occurs. Several of the members live near the prison (not in it). There have been no major incidents at the prison and the FD has held drills to prepare for any incidents.

Two pumpers at kept at the substation. A 1959 American LaFrance was not operable and could not be moved for photographs. The other engine is this 1974 Ford C/Oren 750/750 (serial number 14157-0) that operates as Engine 4.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The only fire truck from the main station that did not make the trip up the mountain and to the prison was this mini pumper.

Engine 157 is a 1979 Dodge Power Wagon/E-One with a 300/250. It carries E\-One serial number 1176.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the main station at Big Stone Gap located in town.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The final photograph from Big Stone Gap is the sub station located near the prison on the mountain.

By the way, just prior to leaving Big Stone Gap and heading back to Norton, the Chief at Big Stone Gap made a phone call to Norton asking if someone could meet me at Norton to move around apparatus for photos. Sure enough, someone would meet me there. Yet another example of the incredible southern hospitality I received.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='131723' date='Jul 21 2007, 17:05 ']Truck 4 at Pennington Gap was neat for me because it is the first "TASC" apparatus that I have photographed in the many years I have enjoyed this hobby. I will need some help from our TASC experts (I know we have one on here) on where this truck previously served.

Pennington Gap, VA

Truck 4

1976 International Fleetstar/TASC

1000/2500

serial number 259

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Ex Cassville Vol. Fire Company - Jackson Township, NJ
Jay Kormann
The final visit of my SW Virginia trip ended at Norton, Virginia. By the way, Norton has the unique priviledge of being the smallest city in Virginia.

I had made an attempt to see the station at Norton the previous evening however it was raining and the department had two trucks out on calls.

I left Big Stone Gap, climbed yet another huge mountain, and made my way to Norton to see about some photos.

I will throw a non-fire photo in the thread here. I had to stop off at the scenic overlook on the mountain between Big Stone Gap and Norton to take this photo. The photo does not do justice to the beauty of this area.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
At Norton I met Todd, who frequents firepics. Todd was fantastic and took the time to move all of the apparatus around for photos. We had another one of those situations where there was a good rain storm in the area, and I was not sure how (or if) the photos would be done. Todd understood, and got busy moving apparatus around one by one.

Norton purchased a pair of 3D Metals pumpers in 1993.

Engine 30

1993 Spartan Gladiato/3D Metals

1250/750

serial number 2408-A

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Just about identical to Engine 30 is Engine 31 at Norton.

Engine 31

1993 Spartan Gladiator/3D Metals

1250/750

Serial number 2408-B

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here was another unique and interesting find in SW Virginia.

Rescue 37 at Norton is this interesting 1993 Volvo/E-One with serial number 12359.

I was told it previously ran at Radnor, PA. Norton purchased the squad in 2005.

Would anyone have a photo of it at Radnor?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Norton's Engine 30, Engine 31, and Rescue 37 run from the main fire station.

I did not know that the FD had another facility just down the road that houses three additional trucks. Todd and another Norton firefighter drove me down and pulled equipment out.

Norton had a good year in 1992 and 1993 with the delivery of Engine 30, Engine 31, and this aerial:

Aerial 32

1992 Spartan/3D Metals/LTI

85'

1250/300

Aerial 32 replaced an American LaFrance Aero-Chief that was sold to Lebanon, Virginia.

Note the sky in the background of Aerial 32 - storms to the left and white clouds to the right.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mini Pumper 34 from Norton was originally had a Chevrolet cab. It was replaced in 1995 with a Ford F cab. As a result, I could find no serial number on this truck.

1995 Ford F/1983 E\-One

250/290

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Unit 33 is a 1988 Chevrolet that serves a variety of functions, including HAZMAT duties.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Norton also has restored a 1929 American LaFrance that is stored in a facility next to the main fire station.

This is Norton's main station and will be the last photo from my three day visit down in SW Virginia.

My thanks to the great people and departments who allowed me to photograph the apparatus. I hope that I will have the opportunity to visit again.

I will continue to post Virginia apparatus (and some others) to this post as I get them.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='131562' date='Jul 21 2007, 06:58 ']Mike, the Nippenose Valley VFC is listed as Lycoming CO.,PA. Sta.6, although a map search for the station indicates that the station is actually in Clinton Co. at 4453 Pine MT. Rd. This area looks to be a fairly isolated rural area along PA.RT.880 south of Jersey Shore and Antes Fort,PA.

Further research from Dave Bowen's catalog that he went there many years ago and photo'ed a 1975 Chevy C/FMC/Bean that had a Bean HP pump and a 1000 gal. tank, so the rig could have been modified by them after Dave's visit. Perhaps Shoop,SR. or Darin Smith would know more about this VFC.

I'm becoming very envious of your new job! Nice work!

Warren Jenkins[/quote]

Warren....it looks like you found it. I really appreciate the research. The guys at Castlewood were real close with Nippenose.

Thanks again,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='Engine 2524' post='131773' date='Jul 21 2007, 17:59 ']Ex Cassville Vol. Fire Company - Jackson Township, NJ[/quote]

Thank you Jay!!

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA