Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More NC Rigs
Quote:For the NASCAR fans, Level Cross is the hometown of "The King" Richard Petty.

Level Cross FD
Engine 431
1988 E-One Cyclone
1000/1000
How do you know this is a Cyclone chasis verses a Hurricane chasis?
Trey White
Level Cross FD

Squad 43

2010 Ford F-450/1998 3D

Body is Ex-High Shoals,NC; the re-chassis was completed by Anchor Richey

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Quote:How do you know this is a Cyclone chasis verses a Hurricane chasis?

I need a spotters guide for the older E\-One chassis. What is the difference in the two cabs?
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Quote: 

I need a spotters guide for the older E-One chassis. What is the difference in the two cabs?
I just happen to know a guy that wrote one.....

The Hurricane cab is low-profile compared to the Cyclone.  The easiest way to see this is by looking at the distance between the top of the cab door and the drip rail above it.  If it is a few inches, it's a Cyclone, as this one is.  If it's only about a half-inch, it's a Hurricane.  The cab face on a Hurricane is shorter between the windshield and the bumper, but that is difficult to see unless you have a Cyclone sitting next to it.
Mongomery NC Rescue Squad. 2014 Custom Works Rescue.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here are a few shots I snagged the other day from the FD I work for.

Winston-Salem FD

Engine 1

2012 Sutphen 

1500/500

HS-5081

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Winston-Salem FD

Truck 1

2006 Sutphen

1500/300/100'

HS-4091

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
This unit is staffed by the 4th firefighter from Engine 1 or Truck 1 and responds to all working fires for rehab/SCBA bottle re-fills. If both E1 and T1 are on the assignment already, the next closest company will pick it up.

Winston-Salem FD

Air Resource 1

2007 Chevy 3500/Stahl

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Winston-Salem FD

Battalion 1

2011 Chevy Tahoe

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Winston-Salem

Reserve E14

1994 Spartan/Quality

1250/500

#M871

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Winston-Salem FD

Rescue 2 (kept at station 20)

1993 Spartan/Continental 

The cab came from Reserve E33 (1993 Spartan/Quality); the 5th wheel was added last year and the trailer was donated by Pepsi to the department. This truck is setup for collapse/technical rescue.

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
FYI. North RIver FD Co71 in Carteret Co. caught fire and was destroyed with all units inside early this morning
Quote:This unit is staffed by the 4th firefighter from Engine 1 or Truck 1 and responds to all working fires for rehab/SCBA bottle re-fills. If both E1 and T1 are on the assignment already, the next closest company will pick it up.

Winston-Salem FD

Air Resource 1

2007 Chevy 3500/Stahl
Is there a cascade system onboard or do they take them back to the station to switch the bottles out for fresh full bottles?
John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
Quote:Here are a few shots I snagged the other day from the FD I work for.

Winston-Salem FD

Engine 1

2012 Sutphen 

1500/500

HS-5081
Which company got the twin to this one (HS-5082)?  Actually, I could use a list of all the Sutphens at WSFD.......
Quote:Is there a cascade system onboard or do they take them back to the station to switch the bottles out for fresh full bottles?

The truck itself carries just carries extra bottles; AR-1 will also tow an enclosed trailer which has a cascade system/compressor if needed.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Quote:Which company got the twin to this one (HS-5082)?  Actually, I could use a list of all the Sutphens at WSFD.......

Engine 3 got HS-5082. I will email you a current WSFD Sutphen roster. The problem with keeping up a roster for WSFD is they are constantly moving rigs. Historically, the department will replace E1,3,4 & 6 every 3-4 years since these companies are the busiest in the city. The slower companies will then get 1,3,4 or 6's hand-me-down rig.
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Quote:FYI. North RIver FD Co71 in Carteret Co. caught fire and was destroyed with all units inside early this morning

Just an update: Central Davidson VFD in Lexington,NC donated a 1985 Kenworth L700/FMC engine to North River. More info can be found here  http://www.firenews.net/davidson-county-fd-donates-engine-north-river-fire/
Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
Quote:FYI. North RIver FD Co71 in Carteret Co. caught fire and was destroyed with all units inside early this morning
Jon and I photographed this FD several years back, but I don't believe any of those rigs were still in service there at the time of the fire, or I would post them.  I have found a few photos of the remains of the station and it contained an International Fleetstar and a Ford C, along with what appears to be a pumper with a four-door cab, none of which were there back when we visited.  My condolences to their membership.

Quote: 

Just an update: Central Davidson VFD in Lexington,NC donated a 1985 Kenworth L700/FMC engine to North River. More info can be found here  http://www.firenews.net/davidson-county-fd-donates-engine-north-river-fire/
Engine 137, Central Davidson FD, Davidson County, NC

1985 Kenworth L-700/F.M.C.

1250/1000

Claremont FD (Catawba County)

Engine 71

1993 Spartan/3D

1500/1000

Due to be replaced soon

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator