Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Trip 2013
Big Island Kona Airport Ford C3

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Big Island Kona Airport Ford C3

Great set of photos! I like the variety.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
On Friday, October 10th after just arriving in Honolulu, and while driving along on the Kalanianaole Highway near Hawaii Kai, I noticed Rescue 1 - with boat attached - and the Battalion responding at high speed.  Luckily we caught up with them several miles down the highway at Maunalua Bay Park as Rescue 1 was setting up to back down on the boat launch.  When their boat was launched it was evident that another boat was leading them on a path toward the south end of Koko Head and what turned out to be the beginning of a four day rescue/recovery operation.   As it turned out two hikers had reached the tip of Koko Head, a restricted area, via a foot path stretching high above Hanauma Bay, a popular State/County Park.  The two hikers, hikers both 34 years of age apparently were planning to camp out on a ledge above the ocean, but both were swept away by a wave.  The body of the male hiker was recovered on Friday afternoon, but the female hiker was not found after an extensive search conducted by fire, police, Coast Guard and life guard personal.

Also responding, Hawaii Kai engine 34 using a spare rig.

Rescue 1 standing by.

When we returned on Monday, Oct 13th, Air 1 was at the boat launch preparing to make one last sweep of the search area.

Hawaii Kai Station 34 engine was on the scene with their assigned apparatus.

GREAT PICS!!

At Kailua station 18, the engine was using a spare while their "new" Pierce Arrow XT was at the shops.

Kailua's Quantum ladder was also at the shops, and were using a new ladder marked for the new East Kapolei station 43.  The new station in East Kapolei currently has a first response area that is mostly vacant land and apparently the ladder won't be assigned until a proposed huge development moves forward.

Rescue 2 has been reassigned from Kalihi Kai station 31 on Nimitz Highway, to Mililani Mauka station 41.

Hey! Does TC know that HFD is using his chopper?

Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
Just returned from a vacation to Kauai and Oahu.  I have a few shots to and some news to share.  First from the Honolulu Fire Department:  More KME's are about to arrive from the mainland, at least two more tillered aerials and a an unknown amount engines.  Also a new Rosenbauer engine was slated to go into service next week at station 15. The first Rosenbauer engine ordered previously had to be returned to the mainland because it was declared "unfit for service". The six 2012 Pierce Arrow XT engines have all been placed in service after an apparent warrantee misunderstanding, all now have been warranted with a starting date of 01-01-2014.  I didn't realize it but they are equipped with fold-out-drop-down steps similar to the Quantum's.

A 2012 Pierce Arrow XT in front of Kailua station 18 

Engine 41 one of a series of KME units ordered by the HFD.

KME engine 27 assigned to the windward side of Oahu.

Why did they go KME?
On Kauai, I stumbled upon a multi unit drill being conducted with Engine 1, Brush 1, Rescue 3 and Air 1, while heading for a beach east of Princeville.

and...

Air 1

Well one thing is for sure the Pierce and KME rigs wont last as long as the Seagrave rigs have.