Engine 5, Hendersonville, NC

Ford C/American LaFrance

1000/750

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Engine 33, Franklin, TN

Ford C/American LaFrance

1000/500

Alright, I'm only 24, so when I say this, understand that it's in part to photos like those posted here, and also in part to some of these trucks still being in service and seeing them on their way out.  That being said, what happened to PRIDE, and variety?!?  What happened to every truck being a true custom, and being able to look at XYZ truck and know who's it is just because of the way it looks?

It seems like 60s/70s/80s there was a true pride in the appearance of apparatus- colors, wheel options, cab configuration.  I know there are obvious reasons for changes to open cabs and Dayton wheels, but it goes far beyond that.

Anyhow, off soapbox, thanks for sharing such a tremendous variety of photos!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Anne Arundel County, MD Eng 11 was at one time this 1980 Ford C/Emergency One 1000/500 assigned to Galesville.

Cabin John Park, MD Eng 102 was this 1963 Ford C800/Pirsch 1000/500.

Attached Files Image(s)

Collings Lakes, NJ Eng 232 - 1977 Ford C/Young 1000/1000

Oaklyn, NJ Eng 1832 - 1979 Ford C/Pierce 1000/500

Somerdale, NJ Eng 6523 - 1982 Ford C8000/Pierce 1000/500.

M

Quote:Alright, I'm only 24, so when I say this, understand that it's in part to photos like those posted here, and also in part to some of these trucks still being in service and seeing them on their way out.  That being said, what happened to PRIDE, and variety?!?  What happened to every truck being a true custom, and being able to look at XYZ truck and know who's it is just because of the way it looks?

It seems like 60s/70s/80s there was a true pride in the appearance of apparatus- colors, wheel options, cab configuration.  I know there are obvious reasons for changes to open cabs and Dayton wheels, but it goes far beyond that.

Anyhow, off soapbox, thanks for sharing such a tremendous variety of photos!

Trav!

There are a number of factors involved in the evolution of American fire apparatus.  Probably one of the single largest factors is what is spelled out in the idyllic minimum standards put forth by NFPA in their 1900 series for fire apparatus.  Unless the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) formally adopts these or any other NFPA standards, compliance with them is voluntary; but, it would be foolish for any apparatus builder not to comply should the design and build of any of their products contribute to the death or serious injury of a firefighter or civilian in our litigious society.  And there are number of other letters that get thrown into the alphabet soup of mandatory compliance such as DOT, EPA and OSHA.  

Cost is another huge factor.  Many smaller fire departments, whether career or volunteer simply, cannot afford the luxury of a chrome-laden-tractor-drawn-custom-built-piece of anything.  Todays pumpers cost at least 10 times what they were sold for when I entered the fire service over 30 years ago.  

It is my observation that most of today's big apparatus builders employ the same automotive design and marketing concepts as Ford or General Motors does in their product lines.  What might be an option on a Chevrolet would be standard in the Buick or Cadillac is similar (and not singly anybody out here on purpose) with Pierce's Impel and Velocity lines of apparatus.   Similarly, there may be desirable options only available on the high end model that are not even offered in the lower cost model.  

Juice, I agree with you a 1000%, there were many, beautiful pieces of fire apparatus, whether built on a commercial or custom chassis from what I consider the Golden Age of American firefighting and many of those builders are either out of business or have been absorbed by the larger apparatus manufacturers.  I learned my craft working from a Mack, Seagrave or Pirsch and others, many of whom closed shop decades ago for whatever reason.

Only time will tell what will be a classic from the 21st century.
Centreville, VA (Fairfax County) Wagon 17 - 1968 Ford/Young 1000/500 - Photo by Clark Martin (RIP)

Attached Files Image(s)

Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
Penn Daw, VA (Fairfax County) Reserve Engine 11 - 1964 Ford C/Oren 750/300

Attached Files Image(s)

Lorton, VA (Fairfax County) Tanker 19 - 1970 Ford C/Oren 750/1500

Attached Files Image(s)

Centreville, VA (Fairfax County) Tanker 17 - 1970 Ford C/Local 250/1500 - Photo by Clark Martin(RIP)

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Centreville, VA (Fairfax County) Tanker 17 - 1970 Ford C/Local 250/1500 - Photo by Clark Martin(RIP)
You have actually posted the 1968 Ford/Young 1000/500, which later went to Orlean,VA. Anyway,it's the correct type of rig for the spirit of this thread.

1984 Ford C-8000/ALF 1000/750

Bullskin Twp.VFD,Fayette Co.,PA.

2002 photo by WW Jenkins