Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fassy's Photos
Lancaster Township Fire Department, PA (Lancaster County)

Engine 66-2 (formerly Engine 66-1)

1993 Pierce Lance 2000 Dual Stage/1000 GWT

Ex-Winslow Twp, NJ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Engine 66-3 (formerly Engine 66-2)

1995 Pierce Lance 1500/628

Engine 66-3 (unit is now retired and for sale) 

1991 Spartan / American La France (Demo) 1500/750

Rescue 66

2006 Pierce Enforcer 

Ex-McCoole, MD 

Truck 66

1998 Spartan/LTI 1500/150 93'

Kinzer Fire Company, PA (Lancaster County)

Engine 45-1 (Pictured At Paradise Fire Company)

1996 International/E-One 1250/1000

Engine 45-2

2003 Pierce Dash 4x4 1750/500

Tanker 45

1991 Pierce Dash ??/3000

Quote:WELCOME to Firepics!

To answer the above statement, I would have to repeat something I've repeated for many years here on Firepics and it's predecessors.... Deadhorse Since you haven't been here to see it before, here goes:

This is a HOBBY. Whatever makes YOU happy is the important thing. There are folks here that think there is only one way to shoot a rig (their way), but if you are happy with your shot, that's all that matters. There are folks here that would want you to record all sorts of info, like production numbers and stuff, but there is no rule that requires it. Many people don't record any info, and that's okay too.

Now, if YOU are not happy with your shots and are asking for some technical pointers, here are a few things to consider:

1. Try to avoid clutter in the background, such as poles, wires, other vehicles, etc. whenever possible. If the rig had been positioned a couple feet back, you could have not had the tractor-trailer in the shot, nor the pole.

2. Shoot on days without clouds in your "home area" and when possible if you take trips. Many of my PA shots have overcast skies, but I live in Georgia!

3. Your shot seems to have a "wide-angle" look to it. This may have been the desired effect, but if it wasn't, try standing a bit farther away, then zoom in. Of course I have no idea what type of camera you use and it's capabilities and limitations, so you may not have the ability to change this. A 50mm lens is the standard for film cameras (don't use digital, don't know if it is the same). I use a 35-80 zoom, but try to stay at around 50mm when shooting, unless that puts me in the middle of a busy highway.....

Overall, I'd say your shot is just fine, but again, that's up to you.
Just to echo from the first page, GA Dave has it right, as long as you are happy with your shot.  But take whatever shot you can when you can.  I learned this a long time ago.  I know guys that will drive hours to get to places, and if the sun isn't out, they won't take the shot.  That's what they like and I respect that.  If I travel somewhere far from home, I will take whatever shots I can regardless.  The reason why is I shot a rig in Halifax, NS.  It was cloudy and not a great shot, but it was a shot nonetheless.  It was actually a really crappy photo.  The next week the truck was rolled and written off.  Now I am happy to have taken that shot.
let me know when you plan to shoot more, I would like to go with you! (if thats OK)

Quote:Just to echo from the first page, GA Dave has it right, as long as you are happy with your shot.  But take whatever shot you can when you can.  I learned this a long time ago.  I know guys that will drive hours to get to places, and if the sun isn't out, they won't take the shot.  That's what they like and I respect that.  If I travel somewhere far from home, I will take whatever shots I can regardless.  The reason why is I shot a rig in Halifax, NS.  It was cloudy and not a great shot, but it was a shot nonetheless.  It was actually a really crappy photo.  The next week the truck was rolled and written off.  Now I am happy to have taken that shot.
Do you still have a picture of the Halifax unit.
Stephen Taylor

Retired Volunteer Firefighter
Retired Career Fire Dispatcher
Yarmouth Fire Department
Yarmouth, N.S. Canada
Here's one I shot early in my apparatus photography career.

Goodwill Fire Company of Washington Boro, PA

Engine 7-8-1

1995 Freightliner/E-One 1500/1000

They have since sold this rig.

Witmer Fire Protective Association, PA (Lancaster County)

Engine 62-1

1998 HME/New Lexington

2000 GPM Darley Pump / 600 GWT

All-Wheel Drive

Engine 62-2

(formerly Engine 4-10-2)

2009 Pierce Arrow XT

2000 GPM Hale Pump / 2,500 GWT

Detroit Series 60 515 HP Motor

Tanker 62

(formerly Tanker 4-10-1)

1994 Peterbilt/New Lexington

1750 GPM Darley Pump / 3000 GWT

Columbia Borough Fire Department, PA (Lancaster County)

(formerly Susquehanna Fire Company)

Engine 802

(formerly Engine 804 & 8-4-1) 

2002 American La France

1500 GPM Waterous Pump / 500 GWT / 125 Foam

Detroit Series 60 430 HP Motor 

Columbia Borough Fire Department, PA (Lancaster County)

(formerly Susquehanna Fire Company)

Rescue 80

(formerly Rescue 804 & 8-4-1)

1997 Simon-Duplex/Saulsbury

22' Box

Detroit Series 60 430 HP

Spent some time in Wayne County, NC this week. The weather is crazy down here! Anyway, I was able to get out with a point-and-shoot camera I used for a wedding on the one day it was sunny. My personal favorite from the day is this rig. 

Mar-Mac, NC (Wayne County)

Tanker 2

1980 Chevrolet C60/EEI

250/1000

Dudley, NC (Wayne County)
Engine 1
1993 Pierce Dash
1250/1000
Used as a pumper-tanker

Does anyone have any information on this rig? I know it served the Florin Fire Company in Mount Joy, PA. When they merged with Fire Department Mount Joy, it became Engine 75-3. It then ended up in East Norwegian Township, PA. I don't have any specs or its current whereabouts. 

Thanks in advance!