Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas City area fire apparatus
That is a fine looking rig. High Rise rigs are not that common. I know Toronto runs one frontline and FDNY has a couple cross manned. I am not aware of any others.

Great looking truck!
Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Some have asked about the old Rescues. Here are photos that show the two differnt types KCFD had in service.

The first is just a man power Rescue no ground ladders. Note the lower box with no quartz lights. These were assigned to Rescues 11,12,31 replacing Pumper 11, 12, and 31.

Attached Files Image(s)

Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Here is what the rear body looked like. Note no ladder storage.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Here is the other type. This style replaced Tiller Truck 1,9 and Midi Pumper Squad 28, 16 they were designed as City Service Truck Companies. Note the quartzs lights meaning an on board generator and the higher box.

These were assigned to Rescue 1, 9, 7, 16.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Here is the inside of the Rescue's that were City Service Truck Companies.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Job # 21280

- Lance Chassis, 2 door Cab

- 24’ Pierce aluminum non-walkin HDR body

- Two under-body compartments with slide drawers

- 32 Ready Rack Safe-T System SCBA two-bottle carriers

- Nine (9) custom SCBA high rise stairway carts

- 75kW Winco three-phase PTO generator

- Two (2) 1000W Extenda-Lites w/ telescoping tripods

- Will-Burt Night Scan Powerlite NS 4.5-9000 OPT

- One (1) Hannay electric cord reel w/ 400’ of cord

- Bauer 6000psi breathing air compressor

- Four (4) bottle cascade system

- SpaceSaver breathing air fill station

- One (1) Low pressure air reel w/ 1000’ of hose
Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Now here is the odd duck out. This is what started the rescues in KCFD. It was built for Topeka, Kansas as a City Service Truck Company (four of Topeka's truck companies are city service trucks) and was rejected. At the same time KCFD Tiller Truck 9 a 1986 Seagrave was invloved in an accident and one of the reserve trucks ladder failed. The Chief liked the Topeka concept and saw a way to save money from pump testing for Pumper 11,12,31 all in double pumper houses and ladder testing for Truck 1, 9 and the Midi Quint concept was on its way out of KCFD in 1996. So this unit was purchsed as a trial, that is why it does not match any KCFD rescue. It has roll-up doors and no Federal Q2b siren both at the time Topeka trade marks. The two styles of KCFD Rescues were patterned after this rig.

1996 E\-One Cyclone II City Service Truck Company.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Rear of what I call the Topeka KCFD rescue, Note the ground ladder storage.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
[quote name='Russell' post='306656' date='May 18 2009, 17:42 ']That is a fine looking rig. High Rise rigs are not that common. I know Toronto runs one frontline and FDNY has a couple cross manned. I am not aware of any others.

Great looking truck![/quote]

Chicago has a High Rise support Unit that is housed at our Mask Service Fire Station on the North Side.It is not quite as large as the other cities High Rise Units that you had just mentioned.
The security is so the tools and equipment purchsed with Homeland Security money do not walk away since it responds metro wide. Some of the KCFD rigs get picked over when companies are looking for new or replament tools. I have been told it might serve as the spare Air Light Wagon for Air Light 1 at Fire House Forty-Seven (Fire Acadmey).

I Have posted some more KCFD photos under the Kansas City App heading.

Stay Safe, Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
KCFD Truck 13 at Fire House Thirty-Nine (far east side of KC by sports complex) ex Truck 6

1996 Sutphen 100ft Tower

This is the last of a long line of Sutphens in the KCFD and it will soon be replaced. The first Sutphen was purchased in 1979 at the KC IAFC confrence in lime-green later repainted white over red it was 85ft. It served Truck 6 its entire career. The second Sutphen was a 1990 100ft lime-green never repainted assigned to Truck 3. The next three were 1993 104ft sticks with no pumps or tanks and white over red assigned to Trucks 8,12,13 all three have been totaled in accidents. The last two was this 1996 rig and a 1996 little sister 75ft Sutphen Quint assgined to Quint 38. It had a very short life and was gone entirly by 1998. Qunits have never fared well in the KCFD. Truck 13 is well liked by its crew and they are sad to see it go soon. Most likly it will be disposed of since there are no other rigs like it on the KCFD and they are trying to have a simlar truck fleet for operational safety.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Thanks for the history on the Sutphen towers, good information!
[quote name='DaveYoung' post='306694' date='May 18 2009, 18:41 ']Thanks for the history on the Sutphen towers, good information![/quote]

Thanks for the photos of the Rescues and the Sutphen Tower Ladder. Keep it up! The Kansas City Fire Department has an impressive fleet of apparatus yet there have been very few photographs of their apparatus on this site.
That is weird that they have so many locks, in an emergency do they go around the truck unlocking all the compartments?
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' post='306631' date='May 18 2009, 17:18 ']KCFD Highrise 102 officers side

I took the photos at the Fire Acadmey and they told me only three people know the door combo. As luck would have it none of them were there. So only inside photos could be taken.[/quote]

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago when I was at the academy also. I had a perfectly sunny day and no one knew the combo otherwise I would have gotten it out in the sun......oh well.....next time I guess. Its definitely a nice looking rig.

Dennis
Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
[quote name='firepost' post='306696' date='May 18 2009, 19:02 ']Thanks for the photos of the Rescues and the Sutphen Tower Ladder. Keep it up! The Kansas City Fire Department has an impressive fleet of apparatus yet there have been very few photographs of their apparatus on this site.[/quote]

Glad to hear you are enjoying the photos, Engine 61 and I will keep posting away.

Stay Safe, Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
KCFD Fuel Wagon at the Fire Acadmey

1993-94 Freightliner

This is a better photo than the previous one posted.

This unit responds to mutiple alarm fires with Acadmey Store room staff. Fire Alarm will call them at home during the night and weekends for the Fuel Wagon.

The old fuel wagon was a 1976-77 lime-green International CO, last I knew it was near Drexel, Mo in private ownership. It was retired when the pictured wagon was purchased.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
[quote name='firepost' post='306672' date='May 18 2009, 19:00 ']Chicago has a High Rise support Unit that is housed at our Mask Service Fire Station on the North Side.It is not quite as large as the other cities High Rise Units that you had just mentioned.[/quote]

Got a pic?
Russell Pascoe

Brampton, Ontario

Canada

[url="http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/"]http://ottawafirepics.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://torontofire.blogspot.com/"]http://torontofire.blogspot.com/[/url]

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
KCFD Support 71 before Federal Q2b siren and decals

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
KCFD Support 71 rear

Attached Files Image(s)