Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of the Atlanta Fire Dept.
Ladder 11 was assigned this 1993 Spartan/Ladder Towers, Inc. 100' TDA until 2001. I think this one is still in reserve.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great thread and nice looking pics!
Last for tonight is Ladder 12's 1987 Duplex/Ladder Towers, Inc. 108' TDA. It was replaced in 2001 also, but was disposed of. Ladder 17 ran an identical twin, which I'll post later.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks GA Dave for the updates!
Awesome photos and history to all, and thanks for the photos from the Olympics, Dave. I was there for a few days in '96 to watch some of the baseball games at Fulton County Stadium and never knew such a "department" was active.

Sure wish I could go back in time to attend some of those Atlanta musters years back. I'll post my AFD collection in the coming days.
Drew James
GA Paramedic
Drew I too wish I could go back in time more so to 1986 when I visited and visited more stations and gathered more photos......I am on shift today,been quite busy can't wait to play catch up tomorrow.......
Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Alot of great information has been posted thus far thanks to everyone involved and much more to come.....In continuing with a few more today I will post some photos and info. on Fire Sta. N0.8

Fire Sta.8 was originally located at No.50 Church Street (Now Carnegie Way) which today would be the corner of Carnegie Way and Spring St. and opened in 1896. This location now serves as a parking lot....First up is the original stone of Co. 8

Attached Files Image(s)

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
What the site looks like today.........The building on the site has nothing to do with old Sta.8

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Today Fire Sta. No.8 sits at 1711 Marietta Blvd. NW which is at the intersection of Carroll Ave. Sta. 8 opened at this location on Nov.12,1969 and currently is the quarters of Engine Co.8, GSAR 6 and Batt.2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
And the Plaque on the front of the sta.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jim Kay

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
Engine 14 was assigned this 1990 Spartan/Quality 1500/500.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 16 ran this 1996 Spartan/Ladder Towers, Inc. 100' TDA until 2001.

Attached Files Image(s)

They previously had this 1985 American LaFrance Century 100' TDA. This was the last TDA to come off the line at Elmira before ALF closed down. It also served as part of the 1996 Olympic FD.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is Ladder 17's former 1987 Duplex/Ladder Towers, Inc. 108' TDA.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 21 ran the only Seagrave H cab in the AFD. All but two of the numerous other Seagrave apparatus purchased by Atlanta in the 70's and 80's had the older style P cab. This 1500/500 pumper was built in 1982.

Attached Files Image(s)

This 1994 Spartan/Ladder Towers, Inc. 100' TDA was assigned to Ladder 21 until 2001.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's predecessor was this 1984 American LaFrance Century 100' TDA.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 25 was assigned this 1983 American LaFrance Century 1500/500. It was one of eight similar rigs delivered in 1983 and 1984.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 25 operated one of four 1988 Spartan/Grumman 92' AerialCat platforms. Ladders 8, 29 and 34 operated the others. By 1996, Ladders 8 and 34 had been disbanded. Their rigs went into reserve. The other two were replaced in 2000.

Attached Files Image(s)

Prior to 1988, Ladder 25 was assigned this 1978 Seagrave SR 100' rearmount. It later served Ladder 38 for a while (1988-1991).

Attached Files Image(s)