Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Metro Airports Authority VA
[quote name='ARFF-FF' post='284640' date='Feb 25 2009, 08:02 ']Mike,

Just when you thought you had the airport figured out, we throw a wrench in the mix...but this makes more sense the the odd and even numbers. Engine 301 will be located at Station 301 and Engine 303 will be located at Station 303, E-303 will be taking the place of RE-324. We decided that all new apparatus will be labeled as the rest of the area does, our new medic is Medic 301, Dulles's second new crash truck is Foam 302 and so on. This was done to keep the quit confusing mutual aide companies and dispatchers.[/quote]

ARFF-FF. thanks again for all the great updates. Does that mean that RE-324 will become the reserve Engine for both Dulles and National?
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' post='284658' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:58 ']ARFF-FF. thanks again for all the great updates. Does that mean that RE-324 will become the reserve Engine for both Dulles and National?[/quote]

I do believe that is the plan for RE-324.
[quote name='ARFF-FF' post='284640' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:02 ']Mike,

Just when you thought you had the airport figured out, we throw a wrench in the mix...but this makes more sense the the odd and even numbers. Engine 301 will be located at Station 301 and Engine 303 will be located at Station 303, E-303 will be taking the place of RE-324. We decided that all new apparatus will be labeled as the rest of the area does, our new medic is Medic 301, Dulles's second new crash truck is Foam 302 and so on. This was done to keep the quit confusing mutual aide companies and dispatchers.[/quote]

I should have made the connection between the new unit numbers and existing station numbers. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Will somebody please give those MWAA Arrow XT specs to Fairfax County, so we can stop the Apparatus Abortion Project (i.e. the Velocity's)
[quote name='splinterhead' post='298375' date='Apr 19 2009, 21:39 ']Will somebody please give those MWAA Arrow XT specs to Fairfax County, so we can stop the Apparatus Abortion Project (i.e. the Velocity's)[/quote]

I don't know you but I'm beginning to think you might not like the Pierce Velocity chassis ! Don't forget Pierce said the Velocity is our best idea ever. If that ugly thing was my idea was my doings I would just quit.

Terry
Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787
[quote name='dawson_fire' post='298445' date='Apr 19 2009, 23:29 ']I don't know you but I'm beginning to think you might not like the Pierce Velocity chassis ! Don't forget Pierce said the Velocity is our best idea ever. If that ugly thing was my idea was my doings I would just quit.

Terry[/quote]

Scarily, I think the Velocity/Impel is one step up from the ugliest fire truck ever: Quantum.
And I was excited when I saw action in this thread that someone might actually have posted pictures of the new rigs.....what a let down.

For all you that dislike the Velocity....Pierce is by far the heavy weight in terms of market share and is laughing all the way to the bank. At least they don't go bankrupt and strand poor departments waiting for their rigs.

Personally I suggest you take your beef up with the apparatus committee directly if you have issues. Not liking the looks of something isn't a good enough issue in most books, so I will assume you have more than looks to back up your opinions, I would hope. You do seem to be talking more about functionality of the apparatus from a usability sense it sounded like. However, you gave no details.

I am more interested in where the new Engine is going, now if anyone can tell me that, this might not be a disappointing day in terms of the NOVA threads. I am glad you are happy with the MWAA's purchases, you will probably love the new Alexandria tiller!
Dave McClung

express permission.
Sorry to let you down dude, found this pic (New R411) posted in a few spots around this site.

Also, you are right about the function issue that is mainly what I am going for, but looks as well as function do play a part with morale of your firefighters, which is severely neglected as of late. I know I am lucky to have a job, but I have a vested stake in the department just as much as any apparatus committee member or senior staff member sliding some specs they were "given", in front of the apparatus committee. Why have a committee when certain somebodies have already made there mind up? Newest is not always the best, especially these days when national committees are stacked with industry folks looking to make a buck on the latest and greatest, conflict of interest sounds more like it. Alright, enough venting, I feel better.

Anyway, just take a look around the NOVA/DC Metro area and you can see something is up. Prince William's new TA engine, the Airport's new engines, Alex's new tiller coming in (thank god they stayed with a tiller), Montgomery's new Rescues (we won't mention there engine adventure), None are Velocities, mostly Arrow XT's and Dash's I believe. Hell, word is MWAA was getting pressured to get a Velocity, because it is "what they needed". Bravo for sticking to your guns MWAA. We are NOVA and COG and what not, we are suppose to communicate with each other and help each other out, not say oh we are getting Velocities, because we are Fairfax and have to test them out for someone. Venting again sorry.

So as for the new Fairfax rigs, T429 is getting a new one and the engine is anybodies guess. 9,15,27,32,35,38,39 all have older E\-One's so take your pick, unless they decide to do the engine shuffle like 41 and 24 did. HazMat unit and another Resuce is on order according to the Singer Sentinal [url="http://www.singerfire.com/documents/SentinelSpring2009.pdf"]http://www.singerfire.com/documents/SentinelSpring2009.pdf[/url]. I hate it when I get long winded too, hopefully the pics will make up for it. Peace.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice, and functional.

Attached Files Image(s)

I will be in town in just about a month and Engine 303 is first and foremost on my list for pictures.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='splinterhead' post='298375' date='Apr 19 2009, 21:39 ']Will somebody please give those MWAA Arrow XT specs to Fairfax County, so we can stop the Apparatus Abortion Project (i.e. the Velocity's)[/quote]

I'll admit i don't like the looks either, but from what i understand the guys at FS's 411 and 418 like the rigs becouse of thier wheelbase and visability. Personally if it's doing the job well and keeps them safe who cares what it looks like. Would like to see the roto-ray back though.
I know they have some nice features but why is it we have to make them so ugly! I think most of the inside the cab features could have been incorporated into any cab they were making at the time so why did they have to re-invent the wheel to get there. I do agree that Pierce is probably the most financially stable company out there (for all we know) and still is top of the mountain which will take them far. Sorry for the griping...

Terry
Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787
[quote name='bigbadred411' post='298862' date='Apr 20 2009, 22:44 ']I'll admit i don't like the looks either, but from what i understand the guys at FS's 411 and 418 like the rigs becouse of thier wheelbase and visability. Personally if it's doing the job well and keeps them safe who cares what it looks like. Would like to see the roto-ray back though.[/quote]

From what I see of the pictures that have been posted taken out at Pierce, it looks as if the specs for the pumpers is very similar to FFX Counties pumper specs. Common features, the speedlays, similar wheelbase, driver side ladder rack. The major difference other than the full depth rescue compartments on the officer side is the chassis.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Any truth that NAtional is getting ready to bid a Tower?
I heard from the guys from the airports dropping equipment off to be mounted that they are indeed spec'ing a tower. Still along ways off.

Terry
Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787
From MWAA's website about upcoming contract opportunities

RFP 1-09-C070: Fire Truck with Aerial Ladder Platform, National Airport

Description: The Contractor shall furnish and deliver a new fire truck with a 100 foot or higher steel rear mount aerial ladder platform and 400 gallon or greater water tank.

Estimated Issue Date: April 23, 2009
[quote name='FTLAUD' post='299127' date='Apr 21 2009, 21:32 ']From MWAA's website about upcoming contract opportunities

RFP 1-09-C070: Fire Truck with Aerial Ladder Platform, National Airport

Description: The Contractor shall furnish and deliver a new fire truck with a 100 foot or higher steel rear mount aerial ladder platform and 400 gallon or greater water tank.

Estimated Issue Date: April 23, 2009[/quote]

Thanks FTLAUD, you saved me from having to do that research.

Personally I would think that a Tower Ladder is a better addition to Dulles than National. Both Truck 105 and Truck 203 are Tower Ladders (I think Truck 105 is still an E\-One tower, corrections welcomed if I am wrong) and short distances from National. Dulles is the bigger airport with bigger planes and more buidings, etc. Now don't get me wrong both probably could use an aerial, just surprised National is getting one first. If there are other considerations I am missing, please post away.

Anyone want to bet against Pierce getting the eventual award???? If you do, pvt message me, I have a lot of cash laying around free and I like sure deals.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Dulles had a tower years ago, don't they still operate a truck company?
I believe it's Dulles Truck 338.
[quote name='bigbadred411' post='299326' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:01 ']I believe it's Dulles Truck 338.[/quote]

I believe that is a 75' Rear Mount Quint. I would think the 75' Quint would make more sense at National and the Tower at Dulles.

I don't remember if Truck 338 is staffed or cross manned. I believe cross manned as needed. I am assuming a National based Truck Company would be similarly cross manned.
Dave McClung

express permission.