Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
American LaFrance Apparatus
[quote name='camdenfirespfn' timestamp='1331762124' post='477462']

The Engine I am assigned to , City of Goose Creek SC Engine 2 is a 2006 American Lafrance Eagle, 2000 GPM Pump, 360 Water Tank, 30 Foam, 75 ft LTI Aerial, we also carry basic auto extrication tools due to our distance from HQ where Rescue 1 is housed.

[/quote]

Whatever happened to the 1977 CF Mack that was by from Arnold PA back in 1994?
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Engine 65, Nottingham Fire Company, Bucks County, Pa. Bensalem Twp.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 65. Nottingham Fire Company, Bucks County, Pa. Bensalem Township.

Attached Files Image(s)

When I can figure out how to upload my own photos, I thought I'd comment on the Clifton Springs rig.

This truck (L-3837) was delivered new to the Canandaigua Fire Department in Canandaigua, NY on March 24, 1949. In March, 1972 Canandaigua replaced this truck with a '72 Ford / Young / Pirsch ladder truck that is also on the Young portion of this webpage.

Upon delivery of the new 1972 Ford, this truck was sold to Ontario County for $900 and moved to the Clifton Springs firehouse for use as a 2nd in ladder truck for both Canandaigua and Geneva fire departments.

In the late 1970's, the Ontario County board of supervisors decided that they didn't want to be in the business of owning a ladder truck, so the truck was sold to Clifton Springs Fire Department for $1.

In 1982 the truck was sent back to American LaFrance where it received a total refurb. The truck had a fiberglass hard top added (which is now for sale), an Allison automatic transmission, a 671 Detroit diesel engine, and the ladder was upgraded from an 85' to a 100' ladder.

The truck responded to its' last call on September 21, 2008, and in November, 2008 it was replaced with a 1992 Pierce 100' elevated platform that was purchased used from Franklin Square, NY (Long Island).

On December 1, 2008 this truck was delivered to my father and I where we have owned this truck ever since.

This truck was in service 3 months shy of 60 years. It is the longest serving piece of active motorized fire apparatus in the history of the fire service in Ontario County.

Today the truck has somewhat changed. The top has been removed and most of the equipment and lighting has been replaced with period correct equipment. The modern mechanicals that Clifton Springs installed in the truck have remained, so aside from the air cleaner and the exhaust pipe, you'd never know that the truck wasn't totally original. This truck also shares floor space with the former Canandaigua engine #4 (1942 Ford / American Lafrance pumper).

Attached Files Image(s)

This is the same truck as it appears today....

Attached Files Image(s)

This is the truck as it appeared in May, 1971. The new Ford that replaced this truck is on order, but would not be delivered for another 9 months. This photo was taken by Tom Cooley.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow, I sure like the Federal Q on this rig, wonder where that came from ?
Some county mounty told some kid if he didn't get it off of his vehicle he was going to be arrested.

The Federal Q is gone, but the holes remain.....
Colorado Springs, Colorado was a loyal ALF customer through the years, many units were open cabs. Their Reserve Engine was a 1961 900 series, 1000/300.

Lt.Col. John Langley Photo, DanEvans Collection
The Fire Training Division's Engine was this 1957 700 series, 1000/300.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hose Wagon 2 was this 1966 900 series, 1000/300.

Engine 6 was a 1971, 1000 series? 1250/500.

Lt. Col. John Langley Photo, DanEvans Collection
Another Engine 6. This one is a 1980 Century series, 1250/500.

Truck 7 was a 1973 1000 series, open cab 100ft. Rear mount.    

It was wrecked and rebuilt with a new Century cab and became Truck 8.

Lt.Col. John Langley photos, DanEvans Collection.
Truck 10 was a 1970 1000 series, 100ft. Rear Mount.

Lt.Col.John Langley photo, DanEvans Collection

Attached Files Image(s)

Colorado Springs purchased 2 of these 1982 Century Cab 100ft pre-piped waterway ladder with 1000/500. I believe they were called Water-Chiefs.

Lt.Col. John Langley photo, DanEvans Collection
Reserve Truck 7 was a open cab 1951, 700 series, 100ft. Mid-Mount aerial.

Here's a 1957 open cab 700 series with the pump and booster equipment removed used by the Training Division. I would love to learn how to drive on this unit.

Lt. Col. John Langley Photo, DanEvans Collection

Attached Files Image(s)