Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
American LaFrance Apparatus
Westbury, New York on Long Island once ran this Century series, 100ft. rear mount.

DanEvans Photo
Camden-Wyoming, Delaware ran some ALF's. first up is this Century Cab pumper, Engine 41-3.

and this Century Cab Snorkle.

DanEvans Photo
It appears as though American LaFrance will be at the Firehouse Expo. This quint was parked at the Holiday Inn Express just south of downtown Baltimore at 7:00 AM this morning. It must have come in overnight. My crappy cell phone pic out my truck window.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='gfd1' timestamp='1342525962' post='492444']

It appears as though American LaFrance will be at the Firehouse Expo. This quint was parked at the Holiday Inn Express just south of downtown Baltimore at 7:00 AM this morning. It must have come in overnight. My crappy cell phone pic out my truck window.

[/quote]

I wonder how old that one is........
[quote name='GA_Dave' timestamp='1342543972' post='492466'] I wonder how old that one is........ [/quote]

I say 2 years old and the same one that was at FDIC
[b]I purchased a copy of this photo. Any one know what FD purchased the Aerial?[/b]
No idea, but it may also be a factory refurb of an older aerial. The one thing is that rotating lights were developed in 1949, where this truck has a Sterling Sirenlite and no grab rails on the turntable. I'm not saying this is definately a factory refurb, but it definately is no older than a 1958 truck, amd no newer than 1978 (when open cabs were banned).
Looks like a 900 series, which were produced into the early 70's. I knmow the town next to me had a mid 80's Pierce with a siren lite on it. Maybe this department brought the light over from an older apparatus
[quote name='grumpyFF' timestamp='1347415793' post='498216']

Looks like a 900 series, which were produced into the early 70's. I knmow the town next to me had a mid 80's Pierce with a siren lite on it. Maybe this department brought the light over from an older apparatus

[/quote] Boy I don't know....

Usually if someone did that, they'd mount the sirenlights on the front runningboard. I've never seen a case where a sirenlite ever was chosen over a rotating light on an in-service rig based on reasons of visibility (of course there is always a first time for everything).

With no lighting on the side or back of the truck, and no hand rail on the turntable, I'd still say that it's either an old rig, or a factory refurb where they replaced the cab with a newer cab and added the compartments.
[quote name='Frank B' timestamp='1347128775' post='497764']

[b]I purchased a copy of this photo. Any one know what FD purchased the Aerial?[/b]

[/quote]

No idea, but I believe another shot of the same rig can be found in Walt McCall's book "American Fire Engines Since 1900" on page 300 where it is identified as a 1960 ALF Model 4-100 Service Aerial. Another photo on the same page shows a 900 Series for the Pleasantville Fire Patrol parked in front of the same trees as Franks shot of the Service Aerial. I believe both are factory photos.
Didn't Greensboro, NC, have a bunch of 900's.
I put this in relics but figured I'd post it here too. 1973 ALF 1000? series. Bowling Green, OH, E-4. Now privately owned in Anne Arundel Co., MD.

Attached Files Image(s)

officers side.

Attached Files Image(s)

I took this picture at a stop in Lake Havasu for The Great Race years ago. I don't have any other info on it other than it's a 1916.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I found this one in LA a couple years ago. 1922, but I don't know where it came from.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anyone have pictures of former Maybrook, NY Engine 210? It was a 1970 ALF 900 Series.
I just encountered a couple of early 40s American LaFrance trucks at the balloon fiesta in albuquerque and was curious to the history. I will try to get the photos tommorrow as I forgot my camera.

I captured one serial number for now of L1588

Can anyone provide any info on this truck?
All photos contained in this post are © Steven "Ash" Lindquist unless otherwise noted.

[url="http://usafirepix.net"]My Photo Collection Website[/url]
[Image: 101_075a.jpg]

1956 American LaFrance 700 750-300 (Model 775-PCO; serial # N-72) Engine 4 Hale Center, TX (ex US Navy Engineers)

This unit is still in service and is second due at structural fires within the town limits. The Chief (who graciously assisted me by staging the apparatus) says it still runs and pumps very well.

Left Front View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 101_075b.jpg]

1956 American LaFrance 700 750-300 (Model 775-PCO; serial # N-72) Engine 4 Hale Center, TX (ex US Navy Engineers)

Left Side View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX

[Image: 101_075c.jpg]

Left Rear View

Lindsay D

Richardson, TX