Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
ATFagent,

1974 ALF/1983 Doerr Bro's. Originally assigned to truck 5, and later to truck 1.

Ladder68,

The hazmat kept at EMS Station 1 is in the City of Pittsburgh colors of White with black & gold stripes. There are actually three different color rigs in the city. All units fire department related are red/white, all units ems related are orange/white, all terrorism or specialty rigs for the city are painted white with black & gold stripes.

The Hazmat is operated by EMS. It is cross staffed by Rescue 1's crew, as far as a I know. The day I took photos the driver of Rescue 1 pulled it out. The Decon Units & Foam Unit in the City are operated by the Fire crews, and are cross staffed. There is also a Pierce/LDV Command unit that is available for use by fire/ems/pd.

There are actually two station 34's. I'm not sure why they split the two units up. Truck 34's house was built rather recently, and is one of the few stations in the city that has a nice ramp for pictures.

Mike,

I'm not to sure where the Scuba unit is being kept at these days. I'm not even sure where the MCU is kept at. I have been to both EMS houses recently, and neither were at them. There are multiple units kept at the City shops, and even a small rescue that is kept at Heinz Field, so your guess is as good as mine. lol

Hope this answered some questions.
[quote name='ATFagent' post='270430' date='Jan 1 2009, 20:32 ']Gentlemen,

I am sorry for the poor picture of this fine piece of equipment , but this ALF Tractor Drawn was at the Pechin's Auction. As you can see, it is painted in the Steeler/Pirates/Penguins black and gold. It was in a separate building that was not open to the general audience that day but I was able to lawfully gain entry. The label plate states the date of final manufacture as 10/74 and the VIN was C14 4067. It had a DD 8V-71N and an Allison 4 speed automatic transmission.

Many questions for the group:

1. Which company(s) did it serve at?

2. Who was the successful bidder?

3. Is it being well cared for now?[/quote]

I was at the second viewing and this truck was outside. I did not have the camera though. This truck did serve truck No.1. Not sure where it went and how much it went for.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Beautiful and thanks Shoop. Any idea why 2 Stations designated 34?

And I have seen a photo of a new '07 or '08 KME Predator assigned to Engine 15. You didn't have a Station #15 listed, does this company run out of another station by chance?

Thanks in advance for tolerating the questions and great info.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Ladder 68,

I must have erased it when I transferred the list somehow.

Here is the address and information.

St. 15 - 7024 Lemington Ave.

Engine 15 2008 KME 2000/500/25

You are more than welcome to ask away. I'll answer the questions to the best of my knowledge.
Here are a few more classics for ya. I had a request for the little Ford/Grumman engines. Here is a good shot of one.

[Image: PittsburghEngine21FordGrumman.jpg]

Engine 21

1982 Ford/Grumman 1000/300

Tom Bair Photo

[Image: PittsburghEngine24Seagrave.jpg]

Engine 24

1966 Seagrave 1000/300

John Schmidt Photo

Notice on the hose bed an item listed for E14. This photo may have been taken right before it was renumbered.

[Image: PittsburghTruck5ALF.jpg]

Truck 5

1974 ALF 100'

John Schmidt Photo

Note: Before being repainted to black/gold

[Image: PittsburghTruck1ALF.jpg]

Truck 1

1974/83 ALF/Doerr Bro.'s 100'

Denis Gardner Photo

Note: Not sure what was taking place at this time. Photo was taken at the Pittsburgh Fire Academy. It looks as if all of the City of Pittsburghs aerials are in the background.
[quote name='kieferfire' post='268686' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:59 ']Ex-Engine 19 was this 1978 Brockway with Maxim bodywork, 1500 gpm-pump, 500 gallon-tank. It was rebuilt with a crew-cab enclosure in 1997 by Doerr Brothers. John Schmidt photo

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=41799][/quote]

How was the crew seating in there? Was it a bench seat straight across or were there single seats facing outward toward the street?
Jay Kormann
[quote name='Jay Kormann' post='270543' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:44 ']How was the crew seating in there? Was it a bench seat straight across or were there single seats facing outward toward the street?[/quote]

There was one seat on each side with the seat over the rear tires facing forward.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='Shoop' post='270451' date='Jan 1 2009, 21:30 ']ATFagent,

1974 ALF/1983 Doerr Bro's. Originally assigned to truck 5, and later to truck 1.

Ladder68,

The hazmat kept at EMS Station 1 is in the City of Pittsburgh colors of White with black & gold stripes. There are actually three different color rigs in the city. All units fire department related are red/white, all units ems related are orange/white, all terrorism or specialty rigs for the city are painted white with black & gold stripes.

The Hazmat is operated by EMS. It is cross staffed by Rescue 1's crew, as far as a I know. The day I took photos the driver of Rescue 1 pulled it out. The Decon Units & Foam Unit in the City are operated by the Fire crews, and are cross staffed. There is also a Pierce/LDV Command unit that is available for use by fire/ems/pd.

There are actually two station 34's. I'm not sure why they split the two units up. Truck 34's house was built rather recently, and is one of the few stations in the city that has a nice ramp for pictures.

Mike,

I'm not to sure where the Scuba unit is being kept at these days. I'm not even sure where the MCU is kept at. I have been to both EMS houses recently, and neither were at them. There are multiple units kept at the City shops, and even a small rescue that is kept at Heinz Field, so your guess is as good as mine. lol

Hope this answered some questions.[/quote]

Prior to the PBF re-organizing in 1992, the fire station that Truck 34 is currently housed in was to be a new fire station for Engine 35 and Truck 35. When the re-organization took place and Engine 36 and Truck 35 were closed, there was pressure placed on the City by the residents to leave Engine 35 where it was. The building remained vacant for a couple of years until Pgh EMS placed Medic 10 there. Truck 34 was moved to this location a couple of years ago to provide better aerial coverage to the Manchester, Brighton Heights, Marshall and Shadeland areas where there used to be 2 trucks located.

MCU-1 is housed at Pittsburgh EMS HQ in Shadyside. The SCUBA Unit (Rescue 4) is housed with Rescue 2 and Medic 14 in Downtown (Blvd of the Allies). Another unit that Pgh EMS has is Rescue 5 which is a Collapse Rescue Unit. It's housed with Medic 3 in the West End.
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='270322' date='Jan 1 2009, 17:08 ']This was the Monessen FD HQ "storage yard" in 7/07. This is located in what appears to be an old RR Depot parking lot. MFD also has a warehouse to store the 69 Snorkel in, and there is also another garage that houses antique rigs.

L to R: the 89 Seagrave TDA, EX-?; the 76 Seagrave tractor with the boat tender; a reserve Seagrave engine, storage trailer, and the 79 Seagrave TDA.

Warren Jenkins photo[/quote]

For what it's worh, Engine 3, third from left, was purchased by Rostraver Central, Westmoreland County Station 105, for their new substation.
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
[quote name='mgk110' post='270578' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:12 ']Thank you for the info. What would Rescue 3 be?[/quote]

Rescue 3 was how the old Mass Casualty Unit was identified. It's now MCU 1. Rescue 3 was an old City Rescue Truck (88/89 Chevy/Doerr Bros.)
[quote name='LarimeSta1' post='270587' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:27 ']For what it's worh, Engine 3, third from left, was purchased by Rostraver Central, Westmoreland County Station 105, for their new substation.[/quote]

thats very interesting, didnt know rostraver was building a substation.
194FireGuy,

Thanks for the info on Pittsburgh EMS. I'll add those units to my target list in the spring.
[quote name='Shoop' post='270451' date='Jan 1 2009, 21:30 ']ATFagent,

Ladder68,

Mike,

Hope this answered some questions.[/quote]

The Hazmat truck

[Image: IMG_0050_1.jpg]

One of the decon units

[Image: IMG_0660.jpg]
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' post='270322' date='Jan 1 2009, 17:08 ']This was the Monessen FD HQ "storage yard" in 7/07. This is located in what appears to be an old RR Depot parking lot. MFD also has a warehouse to store the 69 Snorkel in, and there is also another garage that houses antique rigs.

L to R: the 89 Seagrave TDA, EX-?; the 76 Seagrave tractor with the boat tender; a reserve Seagrave engine, storage trailer, and the 79 Seagrave TDA.

Warren Jenkins photo[/quote]

The 1979 was the first tiller Monessen bought from the city. They bought it in 1991 or 1992. This was 24 Truck. The other that is the boat tender is a 1976. This one was 5 Truck and was purchased for parts. They still have the turntable and two ladder sections. The trailer was scrapped. The 79 has a bad aerial and there is a problem with the hydraulics. This truck was supposed to have been on E-Bay with no takers. Plans are for it to be scrapped in the spring.

As fpr the newer one with the American Flag painted in the grill, it is a 1989 and was bought on E-Bay for $13,500 from Malden, Mass. This truck has hydraulic outriggers and a pre-piped waterway. They put all new emergency and scene lights on this truck along with tires, bodywork and a complete new paint job. The ladder was refurbed by Seagrave. This truck is a nice looking truck. The 76 and 79 are available.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

I have scanned most of the Pittsburgh slides I have. I gotta get some more dustoff to finish the group. the majority are by Lou Kelter, with the rest by Tom Bair, and I believe John Schmidt. With the exception of Lou Kelter's slides, all had no photographer info on them, but seeing the way they were shot leads me to think the other two gentlemen I named were the photogs. some had almost no info on them, others have info I dont think is entirely correct, so if anyone has anything different, please jump in. here is the first. more later after soccer and wrestling.

first is Engine 4. slide was marked as a 1972 Mack R 1250/500 which I believe is R685F12-1034

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike,

Tom Bair marked all of the slides that he traded with the information, but not always his name. When you post the pics I should be able to tell, or even maybe have 1 of the same in my collection. Tom is a good guy, and has quite the collection. Everything I have from Schmidt is marked, but I never got anything directly. It would be neat to just see his whole Pittsburgh collection!
here are some more

Engine 3 1986 Pierce Dash 1500-500

Engine 4 1986 Pierce Dash 1500-500

Engine 6 1986 Pierce Dash 1500-500

Engine 8 1972 Mack R 1250/500 R685F12-1033