Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
This is reported to be the last Grumman fire truck built. I am wondering if anyone can confirm that for me.

Clifton Forge Engine 25 is a 1992 Grumman FireCat 1500/750 with Grumman serial number 18794.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Clifton Forge runs this unusual ladder truck.

Ladder 23 is a 1971 Duplex/Oren with a 75' Grove aerial. It carries Oren serial number 2952.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final photo from Clifton Forge is their station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Harrisonburg is located just off of I81 roughly half way between Winchester, Virginia and Roanoke, Virginia. They run some interesting apparatus and I have posted other Harrisonburg trucks in earlier posts. Here are a few more.

Station 2 is a smaller house that Engine 25 runs from.

Engine 25 is a 2003 Sutphen 1500/500 with serial number HS-3699.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Prior to Engine 25 running the 2003 Sutphen, this station operated this unique pumper built by LTI.

Old Engine 25, and now running as a reserve engine for Harrisonburg, is this 1985 LTI Olympian with a LTI body completed in 1986. It is a 1250/500 and has LTI serial number 8501328.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And the other side of old Engine 25.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The guys at Engine 25 were not exactly sure when this modification was made to the jump seat areas on Engine 25 to provide some additional protection to the personnel riding in the jump seats.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 25's home.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The downtown Harrisonburg station is unique in that it runs a Rockingham County station on one side (Hose Company 4) and a Harrisonburg city fire station on the other side. Unfortunately, the county crew was not home and some apparatus were gone but the guys at Engine 23 for Harrisonburg made a great quick visit.

Harrisonburg Engine 23 is a newer 2006 Sutphen 1500/500 with serial number HS-4148.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the back end of Engine 23 marked for protection.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I have been trying to get this ladder truck for quite some time. Although not in front line service, the Harrisonburg FD has kept this ladder on their roster and it does get checked out once a week.

Ladder 27 is a 1954 American LaFrance 700 series 85' midship. It has ALF serial number L5099.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I am including this photo of Ladder 27 - hopefully you can tell that it carries some wooden ground ladders.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
From Harrisonburg it was off to Elkton, Virginia in Rockingham County. This was my first visit to this station and the crew was very accomodating to me - they had been quite busy with fire calls that morning and had just returned from a brush fire.

The station is neat - located in the downtown area next to a railroad line. Several trains passed through while photographing the Elkton trucks.

First up is Engine 35, a 1992 Seagrave TB50DH 1500/1000. Serial number 78450.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another Seagrave at Elkton is Engine 36, a 2001 Seagrave TB70DA with a 2000/1000. Serial number 78A32.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Elkton's newest arrival is Squad 33, a 2006 Seagrave TW00DA with serial number 79A06.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker 30 from Harrisonburg has some interesting history.

It was originally a 1981 Duplex D-300/1982 Grumman/Howe. In 1996 it was rehabed by M&W. It has a 1250 gpm pump and carries 2500 gallons of water. Tanker 30 was assigned serial number 16374.

Information I was provided about this tanker a number of years ago was that it was originally ordered by Tyrone, Pennsylvania but was never delivered to Tyrone. It was stored at Grumman in Roanoke for about two years, when it was sold to Elkton in about 1984. Not sure anyone might be able to confirm that information or not.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Elkton runs two trucks to help with brush and outside fires.

Attack 37 is a 1997 Freightliner 70/1998 S&S with a 750/500. It carries S&S serial number 2980.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Brush 34 had just returned from an outside fire where one of the wheels got a flat. After a quick trip to a local shop where the spare replaced it and a new tire was ordered, it was back in service.

1999 Ford F350 280/250/15

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
My final posts for this installment is from Luray, Virginia in Page County. It can be difficult finding folks around during the day, however the station had a auto accident with a flyout earlier in the day and I called ahead and found the Chief willing to come back down to the station to meet me for photos of a couple of their trucks that I have wanted to get.

In my many years of fire apparatus photography, I have never photographed a fire truck built by the manufacturer RD Murray until the last several weeks. Both are in Virginia, both are rescue squads, and both came from New York state fire departments. The first one was posted earlier in this thread from Pennington Gap, Virginia (1992 International).

Luray recently placed into service their "new" Squad 1. It is a 1997 Spartan Gladiator/RD Murray that once ran at Carle Place, New York.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another engine I have wanted to photograph at Luray is an older Oren that was rehabed a number of years ago. Although not in front line service, Engine 7 is still used by the Luray FD.

Engine 7

1969 Duplex/Oren

1999 4-Guys rehab

1000/500

Oren serial number 2694

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA