Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
Can someone explain what a "light force" is? Thanks.
[quote name='bigbadred411' date='25 July 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1280084891' post='394498']

[/quote]

The Light Force is comprised of a Truck manned by an A\O Capt and 3 FF's the 200 Engine is manned by an Engineer and 1 Firefighter

So a Light Force would be T4 and E204 when Engine 4 is added into the equation they become Task Force 4 , Engine 4 is manned by 1 Engineer, 1 Captain and 2 Firefighter's at a Station with a Task Force the Truck captain is in charge

When on a response the task force will respond in the following formation with the truck in front station engine behind the truck and 200 engine behind the station engine
[quote name='bigbadred411' date='25 July 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1280084891' post='394498']

[/quote]

As I understand it, a Light Force is the ladder company. LAFD ladder companies are two piece companies, a Truck with a dedicated Pump, therefore they untilize the term Light Force. When both the Ladder and Engine respond from the same station (1 ladder and 2 engines) it is called a Task Force.

Check out [url="http://www.code2high.com/faq.htm"]code2high.com[/url] there is a good explanation there along with some other terms.
You guys have got it right. I've always considered the Light Force/Task Force an outstanding concept. I can probably count on one hand the number of departments nation-wide that utilize a 2-Piece Engine Company system anymore. What a shame...

Good stuff LA

Nate
You guys have got it right. I've always considered the Light Force/Task Force an outstanding concept. I can probably count on one hand the number of departments nation-wide that utilize a 2-Piece Engine Company system anymore. What a shame...

Good stuff LA

Nate
Great concept. Thanks all!!!
[Image: 122.jpg]

Truck 98 in a reserve LTI.
[Image: 231.jpg]

Fire 5.
[quote name='Monrovia1' date='25 July 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1280107902' post='394548']

[Image: 231.jpg]

Fire 5.

[/quote]

Monrovia, I can't tell from the picture there, perhaps you or Casey can answer....do the new Augusta's carry water tanks for water drops? If so is is internal or add on like on the older choppers. Doesn't look like there is much clearance under that bird. What is the tank size if they do have a drop tank?
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
dave , in answer to you question, yes both fire 3 and 5 agusta's have water dropping capabilities
[quote name='Dave McClung' date='25 July 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1280110630' post='394552']

Monrovia, I can't tell from the picture there, perhaps you or Casey can answer....do the new Augusta's carry water tanks for water drops? If so is is internal or add on like on the older choppers. Doesn't look like there is much clearance under that bird. What is the tank size if they do have a drop tank?

[/quote]

Dave, The AW139s have a Model 326 420Gal underbelly tank made by Simplex. They are just a bit larger than the ones on the Bell 412s You can just see it. The thin red line ends at the top of the tank. Good shots of the tank can be found here: [url="http://www.simplexmfg.net/brochures/SimplexManufacturingFireAttack326(2009)Brochure.pdf"]Simplex Model 326 Tank[/url]

Bill
The Light Force can function either as a Truck or Engine depending on the situation.
Copter 5 coming in for a landing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Copter 3

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[quote name='wskrayen' date='25 July 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1280115346' post='394561']

Dave, The AW139s have a Model 326 420Gal underbelly tank made by Simplex. They are just a bit larger than the ones on the Bell 412s You can just see it. The thin red line ends at the top of the tank. Good shots of the tank can be found here: [url="http://www.simplexmfg.net/brochures/SimplexManufacturingFireAttack326(2009)Brochure.pdf"]Simplex Model 326 Tank[/url]

Bill

[/quote]

Bill, I thought that looked like a tank but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
[Image: 336.jpg]

Fire 3 lifting off.
Back in Feb 2009, they were talking about replacing the 420gal tanks with a EXPANDABLE 600gal tank at somepoint. I have no idea if it got any further than the talking to Augusta point. [url="http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/for-lafd-aw139-choice-came-down-to-raw-power-19889/"]AINonline LAFD AW139 article[/url] I'm not sure how that would work.....
[Image: 360.jpg]

Engine 98.
[Image: 205.jpg]

Fire 1 coming in for a landing.
[Image: 006.jpg]

Truck 39 preparing to back into quarters.