Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
With the bodies appearing to be pretty much the alike, were the Spartan/Western States and the Spartan/E-1's laid out basically the same?
[quote name='WAGONMAN' date='12 December 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1292206713' post='414798']

With the bodies appearing to be pretty much the alike, were the Spartan/Western States and the Spartan/E-1's laid out basically the same?

[/quote]

I don't have any hose bed shots of the Spartan/Western States rigs, and mostly all have been sold and disposed. Maybe someone can find and post one.
Here is a pic of the rear end of one of the late 80's Spartan/Western States rigs that I took at a fire in 1991. I posted some images from this scene earlier in the thread. Sorry for the quality of the shot, but I was 14 when I took these, so I didn't really know what I was doing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

And then here is another pic taken of one of the Spartan/Western States rigs at a car crash at the south end of Queen Anne in the summer of 1994.

[quote name='Bryce' date='14 December 2010 - 09:10 PM' timestamp='1292388624' post='414980']

And then here is another pic taken of one of the Spartan/Western States rigs at a car crash at the south end of Queen Anne in the summer of 1994.

[/quote]

Thanks for the postings Bryce. It's interesting to see the sliding door access into the rear of the cab....never saw that before.
[quote name='Bryce' date='15 December 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1292388498' post='414979']

Here is a pic of the rear end of one of the late 80's Spartan/Western States rigs that I took at a fire in 1991. I posted some images from this scene earlier in the thread. Sorry for the quality of the shot, but I was 14 when I took these, so I didn't really know what I was doing.

[/quote]

Thanks. Bryce, if it wasn't for the 14 year old, we wouldn't have that shot. The slots are arranged a little different, but they're basically the same.
Many years ago,several of us were poking around northern Washington state and ended up in Burlington. The fire station had apparatus for both the city of Burlington and Skagit County Fire District #6 housed in the same station. The city engine, engine #611 was a 2003 Pierce Contender when we were visiting.

The County rig was a 2002 Pierce Contender as well, with a 1500 pump and 750 gal water tank.

The rescue truck at Burlington was a 1999 H&W Spartan Gladiator and was designated as rescue 617.

Burlington ladder 615 was a 1996 Simon Duplex LTI 105 ft rearmount.

The tanker stationed at Burlington was built on a 1980 Seagrave chassis and was finished by Sutphen. The tanker has a 1500 GPM pump and a 2250 GWT.

A little further south, King County Fire District 10 at Issaquah at one time operated this 1995 Seagrave with 1500/500 specs as E231.

King County Fire District 10 ladder 211 at one time ran with a 1992 Seagrave 100 ft. rearmount.

King County Fire District 10 at Issaquah also ran P/T 211 utilizing a 1988 Autocar chassis and bodywork by a local builder, Firehorse, and had a 500 GPM pump, 2500 GWT, 50 G."A" foam and 80 G."B" foam tanks.
King County Fire District 10 at Issaquah also ran P/T 211 utilizing a 1988 Autocar chassis and bodywork by a local builder, Firehorse, and had a 500 GPM pump, 2500 GWT, 50 G."A" foam and 80 G."B" foam tanks.

Twenty years ago, firepixers BIG DAVE, CDNARFF and I had the pleasure and opportunity to spend a day in Tacoma buffing. We were guided through Tacoma by Richard Schnieder who at that time was an active firefighter with Seattle, and Ralph Decker, a well known fire apparatus buff and strong supporter of the Tacoma Fire Department. Ralph and his dear wife Michelle were and still are very involved in the Tacoma/Pierce County Fire Buff Battalion, and help operate the canteen that the buff club runs to support the firefighters in Tacoma and parts of Pierce County. The first apparatus we photographed was Engine 1, a 1991 E-1 with 1500 gpm pump and 500 gwt.

Truck 1 in Tacoma was a 1989 Thibault Spartan 100 ft. rearmount.

Engine 2 in Tacoma in the early 1990's was this 1981 Mack CF 1500/500

At the time of our visit, Tacoma's truck 2 was a 1972 ALF 100' TDA

Rescue 2 was a 1989 Wheeled Coach Ford F350 when we visited.