Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
As a fire apparatus buff, it's always nice to photograph a variety of apparatus, and get to kick the tires and climb all over a truck you have not seen before and this next truck was one that I had only seen photographs of prior to our visit to Tacoma. Truck 4 was a 1970 ALF 80' Aerochief snorkel.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tacoma engine 6 at the time of our visit was a 1990 Grumman Spartan with 1500 gpm pump, 500 gal.water, and 100 gal. foam.

Tacoma engine 7 ran a 1970 ALF with 1500/500 specs at the time of our visit.

Engine 8 was another Thibault Spartan with similar 1500/500 specs.

The air truck ran a 1978 ford and was designated as Air 42.

Tacoma Engine 10 was another Canadian built rig. They operated a 1984 Thibault Pemfab with 1500/500 specs.

Another treat for me during our visit to Tacoma was photographing this next rig. There were no Mack CF's in the part of Canada where I lived, nor were there any fire trucks that had telesqurts mounted on them so engine 11, a 1982 Mack CF with a 1500 gpm pump, 500 gwt, and 55' telesqurt was a YIPPIE! moment for me. (I was also a novice at this buffing business at the time.)

Engine 16 operated a 1989 model Grumman Spartan, again with 1500 gpm pump, 500 gal of water and 100 gal of foam concentrate.

Another YIPPIE! moment for me on our buffing trip was seeing this 1976 ALF 1500/500/ 50' telesqurt, again something we would not see at home.

Another treat for us on our visit was a boat ride! Ralph managed to arrange a little cruise around the saltchuck in the fire boat DEFIANCE, a surface effect ship! Even 20 years on, I can still look on with enjoyment and appreciation at the events of the day, and the kindness shown to us by Richard, Ralph and the members of the Tacoma Fire Department. Many thanks again!

I haven't seen a Tacoma rig in yellow! I thought I saw a slime one once, but maybe it was just the sun setting. They're all a gorgeous yellow now. Any time anyone wants to come shooting, I'm down here!
The snow and cold has driven me indoors, so I thought I would scan and post a few more photos from Washington State. Anacortes at one time ran this 1990 Seagrave with 1250 pump and 750 gallon water tank.

Anacortes also ran this 1990 Seagrave with 1250 pump and 500 gallon water tank. One of these two Seagraves was purchased as a demo but which one now escapes me.

Snohomish County Fire District # 1 @ Lake Serene once operated this 1991 Spartan Darley with 1500/500 specs as E-23

Snohomish County Fire District # 1 @ Lake Serene also had this apparatus on the roster. E-23A started with a 1979 Hendrickson chassis and had a shops mounted 1974 Pierce built body with 1250 pump and 500 gallons of water. Pierce originally delivered 2 engines to the department on Ford chassis in 1974 but these turned out to be under powered, so the bodies were removed by the shops and the Ford chassis were sent to Anderson Engineering in Langley B.C. Anderson mounted aluminum bodies on the Fords and sent them back. The Pierce built bodies were then utilized using the Hendrickson chassis several years later.

Renton operated this 1978 Seagrave 100' rear mounted ladder with 1500 pump and 350 gallon water tank as L-16

At one time Renton had this 1979 Seagrave Western States 1500/500 engine running as E-12

King County Fire District 25 operated this 1973 Seagrave 1500/500 engine out of the Renton fire station as E- 161

Whatcom County Fire District 13 @ Birch Bay once had this 1977 Oshkosh Van Pelt 1500/0/85' rear mounted LTI ladder tower on their apparatus fleet.

Snohomish County Airport, AKA Payne Field at one point operated this 1991 Emergency One Ford F 350 as Rescue 26, and carried 500# Halon for firefighting.