Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
[quote name='JFong' timestamp='1298874929' post='427226']

I was walking across the street and I happened to see E97 and RA 97 come to the light behind me so I pulled out the camera and started snapping away. That was the best pic of E97 rolling.

Canon Rebel T1I, Shutter speed 1/125 and aperture F7.1 (camera set to Program mode).

[/quote]

thanks
Ed Harvey

[url="http://www.fireservicephotography.com/"][size=2]Fire Service Photography[/url][/size]

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

All fires will go out; and all bleeding will stop - eventually.

[url="http://www.facebook.com/people/Ed-Harvey/116300270"]My Facebook Page[/url]
Currently today there 22 fire companies 9 Ambulances 10 EMS District Captains, 2 Haz Mat Squads that are closed due to the dire financial situation the City of Los Angeles is facing.

Other than current apparatus already in production there will be no new apparatus coming in.
Any idea what formula or method LAFD uses to determine which companie/units are closed? By Battalion, Division, call volume, etc? Or do they simply throw a dart at a wall map? Ha.

AAnd are any companies/units guaranteed to always be open due to geographic consideration, call volume, target hazards?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
here's some more potentially bad news for lafd if it's true http://www.californiafirefighter.com/sho...php?t=5702
[quote name='joeyk46' timestamp='1301885236' post='432574']

here's some more potentially bad news for lafd if it's true http://www.californiafirefighter.com/sho...php?t=5702

[/quote]

I tried clicking on the link cannot read it, says you have to log in or register.
The Proposed City of Los Angeles budget calls for the closure one Division office, two Battalion offices, seven light forces, eleven Engines and four BLS ambulances. The Staff Assistants remaining will be re-termed Emergency Incident Technicians. The seven EMS Captains will be realigned with the non-SA battalions and become part of the Command Team. No stations will be closed, but some Light Forces will be moved. Ten new Assessment companiesd will also be created
Wow......are these permanent closures being proposed or just additional brownouts? And if they are permanent, will the brownouts continue in addition to these?

No matter what, hope the brothers and sisters in LA City stay safe and keep the faith.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Is LA County FD experiencing the same brownouts/cloures?
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1302148610' post='433199']

Wow......are these permanent closures being proposed or just additional brownouts? And if they are permanent, will the brownouts continue in addition to these?

No matter what, hope the brothers and sisters in LA City stay safe and keep the faith.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Is LA County FD experiencing the same brownouts/cloures?

[/quote]

These closures would be permanent and end the brownouts. LA County FD is not going through any brownouts. LA County FD is funded through there own special tax district which has spared them from having to brown out resources.
[Image: 146.jpg]

EMS 2.
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1301849702' post='432475']

Any idea what formula or method LAFD uses to determine which companie/units are closed? By Battalion, Division, call volume, etc? Or do they simply throw a dart at a wall map? Ha.

AAnd are any companies/units guaranteed to always be open due to geographic consideration, call volume, target hazards?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Generally units from Task Force house's are shut down from the day such as Task Force 89 some day's the Light Force is closed leaving the Engine and the ALS and BLS rescues open. Other days the Engine is closed and the Light Force is open, The Department won't brown out any non task force companies such as Engine 77 it's just them and rescue 77 and would leave 77s first in without an Engine.
[Image: 076.jpg]

Engine 14.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_17895309?IAD...lynews.com

Intertesting article on how the Fire Chief's new deployment plan.
Divison Chief 1 is slated to be closed

Battalion 3 located in South Central and comprised of Station's 14,51,21,26, 34 and 46 is slated to be closed.

Battalion 7 covering Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights and the El Sereno and made up of Stations 1, 2,16, 25, and 47 is also slated to be closed.
"Will the public notice the reduced staffing?" "I hope they don't" Really? How much does this guy get paid? Computer models dont work. When your house is on fire with people trapped and the nearest fire company was closed down based on a computer model, then what? People die, thats what. Not to get off subject here, but one big box home improvement store based their staffing on computer models and sales dropped because there were not enough people on the sales floor to assist customers. People were walking out based solely on not getting timely help. Maybe our fire service leaders should listen to thier "customers" (people they vow to serve and protect) instead of the bean counters at city hall.
Monrovia, you say Battalion 3 and 7, that means the Battalion Chiefs themselves and not the companies within each respective Battalion correct?

Any idea what companies are slated to be closed? They going after Task Force houses or single engine houses?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='firetrucknut' timestamp='1303563233' post='436378']

"Will the public notice the reduced staffing?" "I hope they don't" Really? How much does this guy get paid? Computer models dont work. When your house is on fire with people trapped and the nearest fire company was closed down based on a computer model, then what? People die, thats what. Not to get off subject here, but one big box home improvement store based their staffing on computer models and sales dropped because there were not enough people on the sales floor to assist customers. People were walking out based solely on not getting timely help. Maybe our fire service leaders should listen to thier "customers" (people they vow to serve and protect) instead of the bean counters at city hall.

[/quote]

Many big box stores are leaning more and more on these models... These companies have similar models that are used to tell dispatchers at warehouses what goods these location will be selling in next couple of days. What it leads too in empty shelfs, and the people who are at the store have very little input to override the build to, to what they could be selling if they had the product. Either case it the "Customer" who pays the price and they lose faith in them. They seek to get their services else where.
the companies which will be closed are engines 1, 209, 20, 35, 50, 69, 73, 74, 75, 92, 96, 105. light force 28 closed, assesment engine 28 opened. light forces 14, 17, 38, 47, 58, 72, all closed task force 4 and squad 4 swapping locations with engine and rescue 21 div. 1 and bc's 3 and 7 closed
That is a huge number of companies to close. Hope it doesn't happen.

Also going to create a lot more LF's versus traditional TF's. I know the LAFD CAD is based on LF deployment in conjunction with triples versus on TF's, but this will affect not only the specific companies, but neighboring ones as well picking up the load. All this adds up to a much wider impacted area than the public is probably aware of.

Are these companies relatively close, or pretty evenly spread out across the city?

Thanks for the information.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1303596381' post='436441']

That is a huge number of companies to close. Hope it doesn't happen.

Also going to create a lot more LF's versus traditional TF's. I know the LAFD CAD is based on LF deployment in conjunction with triples versus on TF's, but this will affect not only the specific companies, but neighboring ones as well picking up the load. All this adds up to a much wider impacted area than the public is probably aware of.

Are these companies relatively close, or pretty evenly spread out across the city?

Thanks for the information.

[/quote]

It's pretty much spread out you have units from all over the city that are being reduced or eliminated,
[quote name='firetrucknut' timestamp='1303563233' post='436378']

[/quote]

I think the bigger problem today is the public wants the service but are unwilling to pay what is required to have the service. Look at the tea party and the other "small government" types. Taxes are a dirty word but they are what pays for police and fire protection......
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.