[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1304032746' post='437220']

LAFD Truck 11

20xx ALF 100' TDA

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=73648]

[/quote]

2006 American LaFrance/LTI
[Image: 058.jpg]

Engine 12 Highland Park CA.
Here is what the Band Wagon originally looked like.

This rig was delivered in 1929. LAFD got a break on price by accepting the chemical tank. By "now" all the chemical tanks were being converted to water and a 75 gpm Oberdorffer rotary gear pump that operated off the drive shaft was added.

The hammered end 70 gal tank came from the factory and was originally installed on the Seagrave Triple's.

Eventually 165 gal. painted tanks would replace both the chemical and hammered end tanks.

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

High-Pressure Hose Wagons arrived in 1948. Yankee (LA) body work on a Mack chassis. Equipped with two-high pressure Byron Jackson pumps and a 400 gal. tank. 1 1/2" & 1" was carried in transverse beds with a split load of 2 1/2" and a bed each of 1 1/2" & 1" in the main bed.

These Wagons were paired with Pumps, engines of various manufacturers; Mack, Seagrave, Kenworth, and Pirsch.

1953-54 saw the first delivery of Crowns, engines (designated as Pump) and HP Hose Wagons. Many more were to follow over the years. The Crown's hjad the same specifications as the Mack HP's.

Shown here are two views of the Crown High Pressure Wagon. The Crown HP's were primarily paired with Crown engines.

John

Attached Files Image(s)

Wagon 9, in the downtown/industrial area, carried a split load of 3 1/2" and 2 1/2" in the main bed.

John
[Image: IMG_1528.jpg]

Restored LAFD ambulance.
Hey John,

Curious about apparatus with Byron Jackson's and what they were used for. Guess the dept wanted to try out new firefighting technology.

Looks like some came with only 2 Byron Jacksons while others had a regular fire pump in addition to the Byron Jackson. Also from looking at the apparatus archives, noticed that many were assigned to Downtown companies as well.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
The Byron-Jackson "Centrifog" booster pumps were two-stage centrifugal, rated 160 gpm and 160 psi. The "newer triple combination engines used one of them. The High Pressure Wagons had two each. The pumps could either be operated in high (600psi) or low pressure (300psi). In the high-pressure mode, discharge from one pump is delivered to all 1 1/2" outlets at 300psi and also into the second pump. The second pump boosts the pressure to 600 psi at the 1" HP outlets. Actually, due to hose limitations, 500psi is the maximum pressure and 250psi the maximum low pressure (1 1/2" outlets).

A little background. LAFD began using 1 1/2" attack lines in 1920. They found the flexibility and an aggressive attack made a great firefighting combination. Chemical propelled booster line's, later pump driven, fell out of favor by the end of the 1940's. They were replaced with 1" double jacketed cotton hose.

It was reasoned that the use of high-pressure pumps would increase the firefighting effectiveness. A kind of surgical approach. By 1959, 29 HP Wagons, paired with triple combination engines, were spread throughout the City. They had their place in the downtown or congested area's as much as anywhere else in the City.

A two-piece engine company can be very versatile and by adding the high-pressure and manifold concept (many lines from one piece of apparatus)made it even more effective.

Oldtimer's love to share stories of how well they knocked fires down with the 1" HP line, often before the balance of the assignment arrived. I should add that often there were a number of burned ears in the process. Thus the engine guys were all over the truckies to get the structure vented quickly.

The demise of hose wagons occurred when the AIA, now ISO, refused to give them credit.

Hope that answers your question.

John
Thanks for the LAFD history and vintage pics Luna!
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Monrovia1' timestamp='1304200533' post='437490']

[Image: IMG_1528.jpg]

Restored LAFD ambulance.

[/quote]

Any more pics of the rigs that are in the LAFD museum? I went to the museums website, but they don't have any pics of the apparatus that they have on display there. Or maybe they do and i'm just too much of an idiot to find them...........
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Crossbronx. I was out there a couple years ago & took a few photos that are posted earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, the museum is packed tight so getting good photos is hard to do. I will try to expand on the LAFD Station 27 thread that I started a while ago with some pics from the museum in the next couple of days.
Packed is a good word for the Old FS 27s museum. Then there is the second museum in the Harbor-Old FS 36. Not to mention the rusting collection behind FS 88's. Beyond this, sadly only six other rigs are under storage roof's.

If there is interest I can post regular photo's of the rigs you shot at the museum.

John
I'd love to see whatever photos are available from the museum and/or 88's. With the museum's limited hours, it's hard to get out to LA at the right time to catch it open. I was lucky to get to the LACFD museum when they were open in January.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
[Image: IMG_1527.jpg]
The following 800 EMT rescue's are slated to be closed.

840, 849, 824, 842, 808, 816 and 908 while the department would be placing back into service Rescue's 809, 821 and 865.
[Image: 161.jpg]

Engine 88's Pierce currently out of service due to mechanical reasons.
[Image: 177.jpg]

New Truck 88.
http://lafd.org/lafd-spotlight/136-spotl...yment-plan

New LAFD Deployment plan going into affect July 5th 2011.
Seems to be alot of double talk in the plan.