Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
PHILLADELPHIA UNKNOWN ENGINE ?

Attached Files Image(s)

Awesome shot !!!! Looks like Battalion 5's old station wagon next to the reserve engine
Reserve Ladder 228's former 1978 Seagrave 100ft Ladder Truck mopping up after a West Philadelphia warehouse fire a while back.

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 53's KME Pumper responding from quarters.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tower Ladder 18's former 1982 Mack/Baker 75ft Tower Ladder in service at a multiple alarm apartment building fire in the Germantown section of the city

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1321908224' post='464555']

[/quote]

Looks like it was at Engine (Squrt) 43's. This is at 2110 Market St. (21st & Market St). It is also the quarters of Ladder 9, Medic (Then called Rescue 7M), and Light Wagon 1.

It was not til the 70's I think that 43s got a squrt.
PHILADELPHIA UNIT ? FROM MY COLLECTION UNKNOWN PHOTOGRAPHER

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reserve Ladder 228's 1986 Seagrave 100ft Ladder Truck in service at a multi alarm church fire a while back

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1322687928' post='465568']

PHILADELPHIA UNIT ? FROM MY COLLECTION UNKNOWN PHOTOGRAPHER

[/quote]

Truck 4 Maxim Margirius Ladder
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1321908224' post='464555']

[/quote]

What is the bar running down the top of this engine, over the deckgun? It almost looks like the brake / handle off of an old hand pumper (which would be very cool).

Thanks,

Gary
[quote name='b9208' timestamp='1322717482' post='465637']

What is the bar running down the top of this engine, over the deckgun? It almost looks like the brake / handle off of an old hand pumper (which would be very cool).

Thanks,

Gary

[/quote]

It's to throw a tarp over for general protection of the hosebed and apparatus during the periods of civil unrest that were prevalent in the 60's.
Pipeline 49's former 1991 Seagrave 1500/500 Pumper in quarters a while back

[quote name='b9208' timestamp='1322717482' post='465637']

Thanks,

Gary

[/quote]

Philly and Camden had this as well as plywood over the open cabs. It was there attempts at what FDNY made in the the WAGON COVER. I never saw a photo yet of a tarp over it BUT sure if the tarp was in use, someone MIGHT not have wanted to been around with a camera in the area either...
Engine 68's 1996 KME Pumper in service at a multi alarm church fire a while back

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 15's 1998 American LaFrance 100ft Ladder Truck

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Fireman5230' timestamp='1322885369' post='465875']

Philly and Camden had this as well as plywood over the open cabs. It was there attempts at what FDNY made in the the WAGON COVER. I never saw a photo yet of a tarp over it BUT sure if the tarp was in use, someone MIGHT not have wanted to been around with a camera in the area either...

[/quote]

I'll have to check, but I think there might be a picture of a Philly engine with tarp in Walt McCall's book. I need to find the book first.

*Edit- found the book. Page 327, bottom left. Picture of a engine with a wooden pole structure, but not the tarp picture I was looking for. Caption does describe that the structure exists for a tarp. Lots of in-house modifications in those days for crew protection.
FOAM ENGINE AND I BELEAVE CHEMICAL UNIT

CHEMICAL UNIT

[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1323018928' post='466035']

CHEMICAL UNIT

[/quote]

Air Unit 1

1980 Chevrolet / Saulsbury
OK NOW I HAVE THE CHEMICAL UNIT