Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pennsylvania Fire/EMS Apparatus
Truck 204 ready for the cut job

Brand new Ford / Pierce Tech Rescue Support Unit. The compartments were still empty when I took these on 12/27/11 and the crew wasn't completely sure what was going in it or what it was going to be used for. The general idea is roll this solo or with Truck 204 on extrications, tech rescues etc.

Truck 204 is undoubtedly the BEST set up and equipped Ladder Co. I have ever seen (full inventory and photos on their website). Tip of the helmet Brothers!!
[quote name='HIT6' timestamp='1326279351' post='470854']

Truck 204 is undoubtedly the BEST set up and equipped Ladder Co. I have ever seen (full inventory and photos on their website). Tip of the helmet Brothers!!

[/quote]

I agree, and after looking at the configuration of E204 I'm quite impressed with it also.
Eden was really smart when they proposed this piece, they had an E\-One Hush rescue truck (sold to Lyons, NY) that was up for replacement. They also had a Simon-Duplex/LTI tower that was going to need replaced in a couple of years. They pitched the tiller idea to Manheim Township as a cost saving idea in that they could replace 2 pieces with 1, Manheim Township almost didn't go along with the idea due to the money it would cost up front but after looking at prices of the two truck seperatly they went along. Eden is very, very blessed with live in firefighters and has quite a large number of very well trained firefighters who run from home and so staffing for this piece is not a problem which was my first thought when I heard about this plan. It is very well set up truck and was very well thought out by the guys at Eden!
Chief Kane deffinately has his act together. Although he did tell me it helps to have access to good twp supervisors and money!
Yeah, you can't do anything without the funds to procure it!!
[quote name='Rheems1' timestamp='1326281704' post='470857']

Eden was really smart when they proposed this piece, they had an E\-One Hush rescue truck (sold to Lyons, NY) that was up for replacement. They also had a Simon-Duplex/LTI tower that was going to need replaced in a couple of years. They pitched the tiller idea to Manheim Township as a cost saving idea in that they could replace 2 pieces with 1, Manheim Township almost didn't go along with the idea due to the money it would cost up front but after looking at prices of the two truck seperatly they went along. Eden is very, very blessed with live in firefighters and has quite a large number of very well trained firefighters who run from home and so staffing for this piece is not a problem which was my first thought when I heard about this plan. It is very well set up truck and was very well thought out by the guys at Eden!

[/quote]

Here are the predecessors of Truck 204:

Rescue 24 was a 1990 E\-One Hush with 350 gpm/ 300 water.

Juergen Kiefer photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Truck 24 in Eden was a 1994 Simon-Duplex 9400 with LTI bodywork, 1500 gpm/ 200 water/ 102' tower.

Juergen Kiefer photo

Questions about Eden Truck 24 and Engine 204.

Is there seperate Companies joining together, and that is the reason for the different colors?

The Township purshased 4 identical pumpers. Are they assigned to different Companies?

Was the Truck designated 24 and then changes to 204?

Thanks

And nice Truck and very well planned out. The new Engine is no slouch either. Great design to keep the pumper small and easy to get around. In many situations (my opinion), Companies try and stuff everything plus the kitchen sink onto pumpers, when sometimes less is better. Plus with a Truck like that, who needs a lot on the Pumper.
[quote name='TECH20' timestamp='1326309788' post='470883']

Is there seperate Companies joining together, and that is the reason for the different colors?

The Township purshased 4 identical pumpers. Are they assigned to different Companies?

Thanks

And nice Truck and very well planned out. The new Engine is no slouch either. Great design to keep the pumper small and easy to get around. In many situations (my opinion), Companies try and stuff everything plus the kitchen sink onto pumpers, when sometimes less is better. Plus with a Truck like that, who needs a lot on the Pumper.

[/quote]

From what I understand 4 Fire Companies within Manheim Township merged into one operation in a sense. Joint training and purchasing to name the two that were mentioned while I was there. All the new rigs will be blue and the 4 engines purchased are actually rotated once every month or two to balance the miles... That's why there is a removable number plate on the new rigs. I think the Truck is radio designated as 204.
[quote name='Toneslider12' timestamp='1326327076' post='470917']

From what I understand 4 Fire Companies within Manheim Township merged into one operation in a sense. Joint training and purchasing to name the two that were mentioned while I was there. All the new rigs will be blue and the 4 engines purchased are actually rotated once every month or two to balance the miles... That's why there is a removable number plate on the new rigs. I think the Truck is radio designated as 204.

[/quote]

There are actually three fire companies in the township:

Eden

Neffsville

Southern Manheim

The four new engines will be rotated, with three in service and one in reserve. The three companies each have their own apparatus color scheme. Eden is white/chrome yellow/blue stripe; Neffsville is red and Southern Manheim is white/lime yellow/green stripe. Apparatus purchased by the Township are blue and white.
[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1326124431' post='470581']

THIS IS THE ORIGIONAL VERSON OF THE RIG. THE RED SHOT IS AFTER IT WAS REFFERBED AND NEW BODY BY KENCO. I WORKED FOR THIS F.D FOR 31 YEARS. STARTED 2 WEEKS AFER THE RIG WAS DELIVERED NEW.

[/quote]

Did they have a Ford c Hahn?
[quote name='TECH20' timestamp='1326309788' post='470883']

Thanks

[/quote]

GA_Dave has it correct, there are the three fire departments that operate in Manheim Township... orignally Lancaster County was set up in a zone format.. so Eden was company 2-4, Southern Manheim Township was Company 2-11 and Neffsville was Company 2-7. A couple of years ago when Millersville, Washington Boro, Highville and West Lancaster merged to become Blue Rock Fire and Rescue they petitioned for and got the company designation of 90 (which is way out of the old numbering set up)... since that time other companies are now going with that numbering scheme as mergers and such happen. Manheim Township renumbered thier stuff to reflect this new numbering scheme, some other changes including the Columbia Borough Fire Department merging Columbia #1 (8-1), Susquehanna Fire Department (8-4) and the Columbia Consolidated Fire Department (8-7) under the designation of 80 (so Truck 8-1 will now be Truck 801, Rescue 8-4 is now Rescue 804, ect). Also Rheems Fire Department (my old home) went from Station 7-11 to Company 70 to keep with the new numbering system, it appears that companies will now drop the dash and go that way (ex.. Elizabethtown will have Engine 741, 742 and Truck 74 at some point). I am glad I don't run in Lancaster County anymore, I would have things all screwed up LOL
Rheems, you would love it here now...lol..Change is coming to old Lanco County..All of the fire depts with a double digit station number will be changing. It has something to do with the new cad so they say. So far i know 2-12 is now 2-7..and 7-19 changed to 6-9. Also , down here in the east end we are making some big changes. 3-2 and 3-9 are merging....All of this renumbering reminds me of how Schkulkill co is...Just think of where we all were 10-15 years ago, and how far we have come.
North Apollo Fire Dept, Engine 170 (Before lettering was completed)

1995 or 1996 Spartan/Quality

Armstrong County Station 170

X- Monroeville #6, PA

[quote name='kieferfire' timestamp='1326298245' post='470874']

Here are the predecessors of Truck 204:

Rescue 24 was a 1990 E\-One Hush with 350 gpm/ 300 water.

Juergen Kiefer photo

[/quote]

Rescue 24 was the first "Heavy Rescue" in Lancaster County. At the time it was purchased it was considered a "huge" piece of apparatus. It replaced a 1976 GMC Topkick Midi-Pumper which served Eden's needs for rescue services. On May 19th, 1989 the GMC was involved in an accident responding to a working house fire. The accident killed Engineer J. Brian Harnly and injured three other fire fighters.

Since the delievery of Rescue 24, the size of these type units has exploded. Several years ago, Millersville Fire Company (now Blue Rock Fire Rescue), purchased the "biggest" rescue unit Pierce had ever built. It was promply out-done by Alert Fire Company in Downingtown. Now West Hempfield Fire Rescue in Lancaster County has the largest rescue vehicle in Lancaster County (and surrounding areas) with a 2008 Spartan/SVI
[quote name='Fassy' timestamp='1326514272' post='471179']

Now West Hempfield Fire Rescue in Lancaster County has the largest rescue vehicle in Lancaster County (and surrounding areas) with a 2008 Spartan/SVI

[/quote]

Isn't New Holland's new heavy rescue bigger?
William Penn Volunteer Fire Company of Bucks County's former Ward LaFrance Pumper