Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finger Extrication, Portland 5-2-2014
Around 6PM, May 2, Rescue 7 responded to report of a child who had a "finger stuck

in a wheel". Upon arrival, they found an 8-year old boy who had his finger in the

lug hole of a car wheel. The child had been stuck for approximately 45 minutes

while his parents tried to free him, unsuccessfully, trying oil and petroleum jelly.

After further attempts using an ice pack and more lubricant, Rescue 7 called for

Truck 7 to assist. Since the finger was swollen, Truck 7 used a piece of elastic strap

and wrapped it around the finger to reduce the swelling. Then the end of the strap

was pushed through the opening beside the finger. Once the strap was on the

other side, it was slowly un-wrapped. That action slowly pulled the compressed

finger back through the hole.

[Image: p935762035-5.jpg]

[Image: p681436985-5.jpg]

[Image: p552827352-6.jpg]

[Image: p1029106830-6.jpg]

[Image: p644314849-5.jpg]

Chris Fukai comforts the boy as the finger is slowly released.
[Image: p893363598-5.jpg]

Although the finger appeared to be uninjured, the family was advised to

go to a hospital and have it examined by a doctor.
[Image: p950332983-5.jpg]

amazing what those little green bands can be used for.  Great for getting a ring off a finger also.  Awesome photos!

Good photos, Dick!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Great photos!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Great documentation of the incident, Dick.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
When you think you've seen it all, they throw something like this at you.  Even though it was minor, what a neat call and good work on the Portland brothers for getting it done.  I will store this one in the memory file in the event I respond to something similar, as I would never have thought about an elastic.

Totally agree 13.. grt job dick. Unique call.
Quote:When you think you've seen it all, they throw something like this at you.  Even though it was minor, what a neat call and good work on the Portland brothers for getting it done.  I will store this one in the memory file in the event I respond to something similar, as I would never have thought about an elastic.

There is a video showing how to remove a ring using the same method. A Google search should find it.

And that was just the end of a crazy day. Around 2PM Sta 7 had a confined space rescue. A lady had fallen into the crawl space under her kitchen, covered by a trap door. It was about an 8 foot fall. She had a possible broken leg and the opening was very small - about 2 feet by 2 feet. Somehow they got a stair chair from the ambulance down there and got her on it for the removal, just as the special confined space rescue crew showed up. Of course, I was out of town.
Thanks for sharing Dick
Great job guys. Again one to put in the back of your mind. You just never know.
Another good trick for getting rings off is cut a rubber band and slide it under the ring and use dish soap and move the rubber band back and forth and around the ring and it will slide off. Just another trick for the back pocket

Nice work boys
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]