Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Los Angeles Fire Dept
thom2943,

I would love to get some pictures of this truck in action. (Hanging on the wall worthy) I cut that Ladder section by hand in my shop in Ephrata, PA and once it was built went out and actually got to do some more work on it. I love the LAFD on the seats inside the cab and how they had everything laid out.

I was told it was going to truck 4 when it left for California.

Pretty neat seeing your hard work.

Thanks man!

If you know anyone that has pictures of this beast in action let me know
Quote:Not the best shot, but the only one I have.
Truck 4 now Truck 21.
Monrovia1,

Any chance you got an updated picture?

[Image: 069_zpsfb88a76e.jpg]
Truck 9.
LAFD  The famous "Skid Row" House

For reasons not entirely known the bid for tiller's that had been awarded to Pierce had been scrapped and the bid process has been reopened.
[Image: 010_zpse732bf0e.jpg]

EMS 1.
Quote:For reasons not entirely known the bid for tiller's that had been awarded to Pierce had been scrapped and the bid process has been reopened.
Did somebody on the committee didn't like the bid?
Quote:Did somebody on the committee didn't like the bid?
\\

From what I heard essentially one of the manufacturers that bid had hurt feelings they didn't win and complained and the process was re-opened
[Image: 127_zps84869c82.jpg]

Ready Reserve Engine 475.
I know I'm not following the thread, but I have a request.

Back in the early 1970s, Los Angeles bought 2 or 3 tillers from Pierre Thibault in Canada.

Now I know that those rigs were almost never in service in their initial configuration. The ladders on them were eventually replaced.

Does anyone have any pics or remember the story behind those rigs ?

Thanks.

Quote:I know I'm not following the thread, but I have a request.

Back in the early 1970s, Los Angeles bought 2 or 3 tillers from Pierre Thibault in Canada.

Now I know that those rigs were almost never in service in their initial configuration. The ladders on them were eventually replaced.

Thanks.
Here's a link to an Ebay ad that has a picture of Truck 27.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Thibault-Fi...51a95d3d3c
the bid process for the new trucks since it has been questioned, will be investigated by the city. if no wrong doing has been found and the process was followed with no errors, then the city can proceed with the bid from Pierce. if some wrong doing is found, all the bids get thrown out and the process gets re-opened, keep in mind the city knows what manufacturer is questioning the bids ( not good for them). this not only cost the city additional money but time, instead of having new trucks arrive in the city in early 2015 you are now looking late 2015 as a new bid process can be opened for 30 days or more, then you need to open them, select a vendor and get the process rolling. since we are already in july, new bids probally won't be opened until September ans awarded in late sept/oct time frame

Quote:the bid process for the new trucks since it has been questioned, will be investigated by the city. if no wrong doing has been found and the process was followed with no errors, then the city can proceed with the bid from pierce. if some wrong doing is found, all the bids get thrown out and the process gets re-opened, keep in mind the city knows what manufacturer is questioning the bids ( not good for them). this not only cost the city additional money but time, instead of having new trucks arrive in the city in early 2015 you are now looking late 2015 as a new bid process can be opened for 30 days or more, then you need to open them, select a vendor and get the process rolling. since we are already in july, new bids probally won't be opened until September ans awarded in late sept/oct time frame

Yikes! I wonder if the "low bid" clause is what's in question here.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
the low bid clause should not really come into play here, unless you have a specific contract signed with the city for that particular type of apparatus, which la city has no contract tsigned with anyone for trucks, used to be the defunct alf. the fd can also ask the city council to throw out the  low bid clause or as most cities are doing now ask that the whole bidding process be waived in order to allow them to go with a specific vendor that meets all requirements

Quote:the low bid clause should not really come into play here, unless you have a specific contract signed with the city for that particular type of apparatus, which la city has no contract tsigned with anyone for trucks, used to be the defunct alf. the fd can also ask the city council to throw out the  low bid clause or as most cities are doing now ask that the whole bidding process be waived in order to allow them to go with a specific vendor that meets all requirements

Interesting insight on the bidding process.

Going back to the original point, I wonder who complained? With the demise of ALF, there leaves a few contenders.
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
Quote:I know I'm not following the thread, but I have a request.

Thanks.

http://www.crownfirecoachent.com/LAFD-St...ns/20.html

Here is a not so great shot of Truck 4, on scene of a fire near Downtown in the early to mid 80s. The ladder assemblies weren't worth anything and developed cracks. They were replaced by the LAFD Shops with Seagrave ladder assemblies.

Originally assigned to the following companies.

60257 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (closed cab) builder #457 Truck 26
60258 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (closed cab) builder #461 Truck 33
60259 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (closed cab) builder #462 Truck 98
60260 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (open cab) builder #469 Truck 27
60261 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (open cab) builder #470 Truck 93
60262 1972 Thibault 100' Aerial Ladder Truck (open cab) builder #471 Truck 10

Hope that helps.
[Image: 006_zpsa0cbaeaf.jpg]

Rescue 26.
Not sure if this was posted already, and forgive me if it has been...but....Any idea who submitted bids?