Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aurora, CO Defensive House Fire 5-11-14
At 20:40 Aurora Firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire in the area of an intersection near my house.  The RP reported black smoke from the front of a home under construction.  I was quickly out the door in the wind & freezing rain and arrived just behind the first due engine.  There was nothing showing on approach but when the crew made it to the front door they found the structure charged with smoke.  Engine 13 pulled an 1 3/4" and identified what looked like a small amount of fire on the first floor in the bravo / charlie corner. 

Engine 13's Firefighters advancing a line inside...

Battalion Chief 3 getting a face to face pass down from Engine 13's Lieutenant and assuming command.  As the Chief was completing a 360 he heard a loud noise from the bravo / charlie corner and identified that a basement fire had already breached the first floor.  A withdraw order was given to E13 and a defensive strategy was declared.

Command coordinating hose lines just after the defensive order.

Engine 13 hand laying supply line

Tower 6 taking the alpha / bravo corner and smoke conditions getting worse.

Fire venting out of the bravo side window wells

Two lines were operating into the bravo side basement and flames breached a larger path into the first floor

Engine 10 hitting a second hydrant to supply the Tower if needed

The Bronto set up

Flowing through the charlie slider into the basement hole

The wind was pushing smoke right at Engine 13 and the Engineer had to wear an SCBA at the panel

Lots of wind... a 2 1/2" was placed to protect the Delta 1 exposure but was never needed.

Engine 15 briefing Command about the basement conditions

Last one after going under control... Companies were there through the night for fire watch.

And some video....

http://youtu.be/S198KQpaC6o

Good photos

tHANKs

tHANKs
Nice work!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
I can understand taking the bulge out of the tires, but dose the truck need to be up that high?
I wondered that same thing.  The stabilzers are to level the truck and for extended/additional support (IMO, as I don't have experience operating an aerial device).  Plus, a salesperson once told me it is better to leave the tires on the ground that 10 points of support are better than 4.

NOT trying to criticize, just my "learned" opinion and thought over the years.  My department does not run an aerial device.

IIRC, the Bronto's are designed to be operated with the outriggers fully extended horizontally and vertically.  Corrections welcome.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:IIRC, the Bronto's are designed to be operated with the outriggers fully extended horizontally and vertically.  Corrections welcome.

I was inclined to think the same thing, but I Googled images of Bronto's in action, and the vast majority are not set up this way.  Odd. I could have swore that they were always set up with full extension.
Nice photos, they really do a good job of illustrating the operations.

I was curious about the truck as well. I'm not used to seeing them completely off the ground like that.

Aaron Woods
I was originally taught enough to slip a piece of paper under each tire, But I've also been told to go higher should the airbags re inflate for some reason.  Neither of these involved a bronto though.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
I'll ask AFD about it and see what they say.  Every time I've seen it in operation all the wheels have been elevated.

The few times I have been around a Bronto they have all been off the ground although not quite that high. I asked the dealer at the time and he stated the Brontos were to have all the wheels off the ground. 

A step ladder leading to the steps on the side of the truck, in full turnout gear, CANNOT be good. Not to mention, what happens if you have to get something from a top shelf in a compartment? Good luck!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:A step ladder leading to the steps on the side of the truck, in full turnout gear, CANNOT be good. Not to mention, what happens if you have to get something from a top shelf in a compartment? Good luck!

Trav!

Yeah its certainly not the most safe or convienent way to access equipment.  Prior to the Bronto AFD ran a mix of tillers and rear mounts.  All of the aerials since the Bronto have been replaced with standard rear mount aerials, one of them with a platform.  I don't foresee another Bronto in AFD's future.