Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
Where is that Asheville open cab and how old is that pic? I can use those lights on my Pomona CF.

Thank you.

Stay safe, Brothers.

Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
When you see rigs of the '80's-'90's & from NC/VA, and originally sold by Slagle (FMC, E\-One, KME or Slagle's own brand) or Atlas/EEI, think "Buddy Hall", Roxboro's chief, as the gold leaf lettering & curlique guy.  Not always, but very often.

Quote:I found this ALF this week at a used car/truck lot in Front Royal, Virginia (just off of I66).

It is "44-90". I believe it may be from New Jersey. Sorry, no other information. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The aerials kept the 700 Series designation when the 800 Series showed up, and this appears to be one of them based on the typical 800 Series script nameplate on the nose.
Quote:Th ALF from Hudson, NH is still across the street, only it is not visible from the road anymore. The woman in the store told me it was there, its behind a mound of dirt/ rotten apples
L-2396, Nashua, NH's 1946 600 Series 85' aerial.  The "L" indicates a Lycoming-based Continental engine. 
Quote:How many Centurys were made with an open cab?
Walt McCall, author of "100 Years of American LaFrance" uses the term "very few", and says ALF "delivered its last open-cab apparatus, a pumper for Monroeville, Pennsylvania, in 1982." 
Quote:Lastly outside of Front Royal Va we found this 48 ALF that I think came from Sea Grit NJ and had a 6-71 Detroit, Auto Trans and air brakes retroed into it.

Hope you enjoyed all the pictures

CosgrStirpot ve
7-75-AJO, shipped 2/14/57 - 700 Series (with 800 Series nameplates), 750 pump, originally with a J-engine.  Sea Girt, not Sea Grit. 
Quote:Lebanon Boro, Hunterdon County, NJ ran this 1941 Ford (Unknown Body builder) up to 1970. The rig was sold to the Tall Ceders of Lebanon, a non-profit group to raise money as seen by the sign. At some point after 1976 it got a GREEN and YELLOW paint job. About 2 years ago the Lebanon FC got this rig back and was going to restore it... AND back to RED!!!

As a side note - it was the first rig my father learned to pump with in 1960.
Based on the ALF Registry, this went to Lebanon 4/11/44 on a '42 Chassis with a 100-gallon water tank, Register Number F-2108.

Quote:You classic ambulance buffs will have to help me here because we were kind of rushed and could not get info on everything. I do remember Mr. Corriher saying this one was extremely rare but I don't remember what made it so rare.
It's a Packard, converted to an ambulance by the Henney Co.of Freeport, IL, which ceased production in 1954, and Mr. Corriher's is of that era. 
Quote:I think it is a Packard, probably a Packard Henney (spelling?)
The license tag appears to say "39", and this Packard/Henney is of that vintage. 
Quote:And this one was Mr. Corriher's pride & joy he kept at his house that he was nice enough to pull out into the sun. Check out the vintage mars lights on the hood that swivel from side to side.

1956 Cadillac/Superior
Swiveling (oscillating) is part of their appeal, but the reflector also moves, vertically, powered by a gimbel arrangement attached to a rod.  The photo shows the "innards" of the base, and two movements are shown from different sides to give an idea of the mechanicals.  I was fortunate to be asked to rebuild one that is mounted on the front of Chicago's ex-E10 Ahrens-Fox, formerly owned by the ex-chief of Blue Island, IL FD, now once again in Chicago.  Blue Island is the home of Federal Signal.  The chief told me that Federal would periodically show up at the FD with various new warning devices with which they wanted to experiment.  The good thing was that they just left the new goods mounted on the vehicles they'd used for the experimentation!

[Image: IMG_8844_zpsc10a31b6.jpg]
Quote:I think this one is Stillwater's old Engine 7, a 1947 ALF 1000/150. There are a few differences, but by comparing the photos, I think it's the same rig. The siren light below the windshield was originally on the front of the roof (you can see the bolts on the new picture), there was no rotating beacon and it was white. Other than that, they look the same.

Credit to original photographer:
[Image: attachicon.gif]Stillwater Engine 7, 1947 ALF 1000, 150.jpg
Tough call.  Stillwater got another in '48.  Some considerations:  different mirrors (could've been an early change - vibration of single-mount was nerve-wracking), white rig has front fender kick-plate, red one has step in jumpseat area (where extinguisher is on white piece) & 2-1/2" intake above running board (never seen that style).  Grab handle at rear of red rig's cab extends to just below roofline; white appears to end below jumpseat window.  Even more to consider about the warning lights.  Odd to see Federal's version of the siren-light combo on an ALF at that time.  ALF's "standard" was Sterling's Model 20; Model 30, optional, so Stillwater would've spec'd the Federal model if it's factory-installed.  Beacon didn't hit the street 'til '49 & the '48 pumper was shipped January 22, '48, so that, plus the aforementioned bolts, make it unlikely for factory-install.  On the other hand, nose-mounts are not easily installed in the field - inaccessible from under the dash.  And, the Federal's seem to differ:  the white one's appears to have a single rotor; the red one's is a DoubleTone.  Very interesting throughout.

[Image: Sterling3.jpg]

Found this old Pirsch engine on Highway 74 between Shelby and Kings Mountain, NC. Could not get to the truck due to the fences being locked. It is lettered Millington FD # 3.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Found this old Pirsch engine on Highway 74 between Shelby and Kings Mountain, NC. Could not get to the truck due to the fences being locked. It is lettered Millington FD # 3.

x-millington, tn 1974 Pirsch

Millington just took delivery of a 2013 Pierce Demo unit. I suspect that this rig was surplused with delivery of the new engine. Perhaps Kevin Lackey or Ryan Smith can provide additional information.
Quote:x-millington, tn 1974 Pirsch

Millington just took delivery of a 2013 Pierce Demo unit. I suspect that this rig was surplused with delivery of the new engine. Perhaps Kevin Lackey or Ryan Smith can provide additional information.

Looks to be in good shape...maybe a collector can save it!
Ex-FDNY Tower Ladder 14 (based on numbering underneath the gray paint), 2001 Seagrave.  Even the shop numbers were painted over this time

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No one could save the Seagrave Logo on the front grill. That sure would look nice in a collection.

Trey White
Quote:Ex-FDNY Tower Ladder 14 (based on numbering underneath the gray paint), 2001 Seagrave.  Even the shop numbers were painted over this time
Heading to the scrapper??
Quote: 

Even the shop numbers were painted over this time

It's because they know we've caught on, we can tell what truck it is if they leave the shop number on it

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
I don't understand.............Why did the city auction this rig off so fast?????   I don't think this rig spent ANY time in the spare pool, 14 was still using it as their regular rig up until recently.............and companies are wondering why there are no spare tower ladders.........

The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Not really sure myself. I was kind of shocked to see it there. It looked like it was in really decent shape, just some rust on the rear cab door. Not sure what the driver side looked like.