Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Forest Service
Custom tool compartment, officer's side.

Bob Lukas Photos

Attached Files Image(s)

Driver's side rear

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another...

Here's the right one, sorry about that

One more...

Crew Cab...

I was getting ready to leave as I noticed this Ford F-450.  Sorry no stats or information as to what type rig it is.

As a Patrol truck, I would guess it is a Model 20. 50-125 gallon tank, 85 gpm aux pump. The fact it is an F-450 instead of the more common F350, I'd guess it has the "large" 125 gallon tank.

The Model 20 has been around since the late 1960s and was a very common type 6 engine with a 200 gallon tank. Since about 2000 they have primarily been used as patrol trucks limited to a max of 125 gallons of water to discourage their use as an initial attack engine. 

Aaron Woods
1930s Chevrolet ex USFS

I found this in a small town on the Six Rivers National Forest. It has been modified and is in rough shape, but I knew what it was as soon as I saw it. I would have loved to take it home with me, but I'm sure it's restoration is out of my league. I was able to find the owner and he says he has all the original parts and plans to restore it.

Chevrolet used wood framing in the cab which is rotting away, but the sheet metal is actually in pretty good shape for an 80 year old truck. 

Aaron Woods
In it's prime it would have looked quite similar to this.

Aaron Woods
[Image: 037_zps4d1590af.jpg]

ANF Water Tender 11.
I spent a good part of the day scanning photos from the Mendocino NF archives. This one in particular caught my eye. In 1961 the forest conducted experiments using large truck mounted fans to influence controlled burns.

I'm definitely going to have to see what else I can dig up on these experiments.

Photo credit US Forest Service

Aaron Woods
Engine getting ready for the Lakeport, CA 4th of July Parade 1953

Credit US Forest Service

Aaron Woods
Great photos!

Ex USFS 1974 Ford F600, Model 50

Currently operated by a volunteer fire department in Cecilville, CA

Sorry for the blurry photo, one of those catch it with whatever you have handy moments. There is a bench seat behind the cab, the roll cage over the bench seat was not standard equipment and probably added at a later date.

Aaron Woods
The station I work at was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. While going through the forest's archives I found several photos of the station and crews.

Soda Creek crew posed in front of their truck in the 1930s.

Photo from Mendocino NF archives.

Aaron Woods
Soda Creek's Model 50 engine built on a Dodge truck, 1960s.

300 gallon tank with an 80gpm pump powered by a Waukesha 18hp motor. It would have had a crew of 5 or 6.

Photo from Mendocino NF archives

Aaron Woods
The current Mendocino Engine 343 stationed at Soda Creek. Parked in front of the original CCC engine bay. The trucks won't fit inside anymore so the building is used as a workshop and equipment cache.

IH / KME Model 326, 600 gallon tank, 350 gpm pump, 20 gallons foam. Crew of 5.

Photo by Aaron Woods

Aaron Woods
My father also worked in the Wisconsin CCC camp in the 1930's. For the rest of his life he could not eat chipped beef on toast...."$hit on shingle" as he called it. Got that several days in a row in the CCC.

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
1968 -1972 Ford with that cab style in post  #215