Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Church Fire 11/9/13 Schubert & Kostner
Around 0300 I took in the box at Schubert and Kostner...fire in a traditional style church. By the time I arrived the fire appeared to be completely under control with little to see from the outside. I thought it was pretty neat to see 2 aerials up, and members working on venting the steeply pitched roof. I don't believe I have ever seen any kind of roof work like this on a big church before. It appeared that out of my view there was a roof ladder in use as you can see the hooks, but it was on the opposite side of where I was shooting. It also looked that the large stained glass window had been vented, I'm thinking by the aerial ladder, but not sure. I could see members inside working streams up into the ceiling roof area, so it appears this was a well advanced fire.This could very easily have been a "water carnival".... It's not often you see a good outcome in a fire like this one. If anyone who was working can provide some details that would be great.....
Another perk for me was finally getting a picture of the squad spare lettered up as Squad 3 from the show Chicago Fire.....

Attached Files Image(s)

Not much to see from my vantage point

Attached Files Image(s)

First due 91 in a spare

Attached Files Image(s)

truck 58

Attached Files Image(s)

Eng 7 ...2nd due engine

Attached Files Image(s)

Big place....

Attached Files Image(s)

way up there

Attached Files Image(s)

not much in the way of a hole.....very steep pitch to work on

Attached Files Image(s)

too bad it was a spare

Attached Files Image(s)

Squad 2 with the squad 3 show rig....Smile

Steve

Attached Files Image(s)

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:Squad 2 with the squad 3 show rig.... Smile

By "Show Rig" you mean the one that is used in "Chicago Fire"?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote: 

By "Show Rig" you mean the one that is used in "Chicago Fire"?
yes
Wow! looked like "fun" on that roof! Great shots as always.

Srresquire, Is the " Squad 3 " actually the white over red Hazmat rig ? I heard that and if anybody would know the answer you would .  Thanks

Quote:Srresquire, Is the " Squad 3 " actually the white over red Hazmat rig ? I heard that and if anybody would know the answer you would .  Thanks

2 different trucks, however, this one does look a lot more accurate... imagine if the series continues in the next couple of years; the Ambulance might be accurate, the squad, the whole fleet!

http://chicagoareafire.com/blog/wp-conte...D_1842.jpg Spare Haz-Mat

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
The former Haz/mat 5-1-1 was repainted w/ a black roof for the show.  The rig they were last using as Squad 3 was assigned to Squad 1 for a while before becoming a reserve squad.

Now get ready for this......................The production company for Chicago Fire just purchased the Pierce squad from Antioch Fire District.  You will see this rig in some upcoming episodes after they make some modifications to make it look more CFD like.

please visit my website at www.karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com
I thought the Antioch squad was a Spartan 3D metals

FFPM571, it may very well be.  I thought it was a Pierce but I think your right.  I may have confused it w/ thte Pierce engine/tanker they have.

please visit my website at www.karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com
I also notice that the previous Sqaud 3 ( one used in the first season ) and the one in the picture above have a yellow stripe on them as well. I assume that was done by the TV show or is that a Squad thing ?