Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
Quote:I assume (and could be wrong) this is an answer to transportation problems after Sandy?

Correct...........Nothing like being Reactive...........
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
FDNY Communications Maintenance Truck 

#CM11013

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
FDNY Tower Ladder 124

"Tonka Truck"

2010 Seagrave Aerialscope 75'

Seth Granville
Seth, What is that on the side cab window between the doors of the 124 Truck ??
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Quote:Seth, What is that on the side cab window between the doors of the 124 Truck ??

Looks like an air intake
Shannon is correct.  A few years ago, Seagrave started putting air intakes on the sides of the cab.

Jesse Shutt

Fisherville Volunteer Fire Company #1 (Dauphin Company 216)

Upper Dauphin County Emergency Medical Services (Dauphin Company 6)

Past President Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Association

Upper Dauphin County Fire Historian
All the new rigs have there intakes there our ferrera ladder has it there
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
From what I understand it's an FDNY requirement for the air intakes to be high so the rigs can run in high water and snow. 

Thanks all who responded. It was hard to tell by the photo.  It looks like a piece of cardboard on it. LOL

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Quote:FDNY Communications Maintenance Truck 

#CM11013

[Image: attachicon.gif]fdnycommt.jpg
Are these civilian employees or injured firefighters who cannot return to full duty?
Quote:Are these civilian employees or injured firefighters who cannot return to full duty?

They are civilian employees, the job title is "Communications Electrician".  They maintain above and underground cables that support various equipment, such as city fire alarm systems, house voice alarms and printers.

The title originated when the division maintained the network of street callboxes (Gamewell-type system).
Seth Granville
Here's another one of their newer Communications Division underground wire maintenance trucks.

Seth Granville
I thought the Spartan Scope was purchased pre-9/11......Wasn't it assigned to 105 when it was delivered????

The Spartan Aerialscope was aquired post-9/11, not sure if it was purchased or donated. I was aquired only a few months after 9/11. It was orginally placed into service at Tower Ladder 105. Once ladder 105 received a new Seagrave Aerialscope, it was then assigned to Tower Ladder 53 on City Island in the Bronx. Ladder 53 has since received a new Seagrave Aerialscope. I heard the Spartan was damaged in Sandy. I don't know if the damage caused FDNY to scrap it, or remove it from all service since it was a non-uniformed FDNY Aerialscope.

Quote:Anything special about the cargo area in the back, like equipment storage, boarding ladder / steps, seating, etc or is it just an open bed cargo area?

Thanks,

Gary

Seth Granville
Quote:The Spartan Aerialscope was aquired post-9/11, not sure if it was purchased or donated. I was aquired only a few months after 9/11. It was orginally placed into service at Tower Ladder 105. Once ladder 105 received a new Seagrave Aerialscope, it was then assigned to Tower Ladder 53 on City Island in the Bronx. Ladder 53 has since received a new Seagrave Aerialscope. I heard the Spartan was damaged in Sandy. I don't know if the damage caused FDNY to scrap it, or remove it from all service since it was a non-uniformed FDNY Aerialscope.

A little over 3 years ago, I got detailed to 53 Truck one night tour.   They still had the Spartan, and what a piece of junk that thing was..........
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Quote:Seth, What is that on the side cab window between the doors of the 124 Truck ??

Here is a close up of the aforementioned air intake:

Seth Granville
Quote: 

[Image: attachicon.gif]hwb.jpg

[Image: attachicon.gif]hwc.jpg
Thanks Seth - Looks like a simple and practical design.  Hope they get used for something other than "once every couple of years" type flooding, since lack of use is sometimes almost as bad as overuse.

Thanks,

Gary
Seen this other day ago, An album with a few pictures of New Units purchased for Post Hurricane Sandy. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fdnyhome/se...133411574/

PA Fire Apparatus Rosters & News:
https://www.facebook.com/fireapparatusnews
After watching a video I saw on youtube I was curious as to what the function of the SOC Rescue Battalion is and when and what types of responses would he respond on?