Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
Quote:Already has diamond plate covering the rust? LOL
Yhea because no other manufactors trucks rust
Quote:Yhea because no other manufactors trucks rust

I think your missing the point, those trucks haven't even been delivered yet. I don't know about you but if I was on either end of the table, I wouldn't want a truck to show up with rust

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
I forget that sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet(if you look at the Seagraves, a lot have parts of the cabs patched with diamond plate) Diamond plate is there to protect the body with the front connections.
Quote: 

It used to be considered a fine thing in this hobby that a new fire engine was "different" from any other.

I wholeheartedly agree, from department to department, but not inner-department. You have to remember I come from a region where large fleets are few and far between, so matching each and every truck really isn't that hard, but it seems as if even that is too hard for some. With a fleet the size of NYC's, I don't realistically expect each truck to match, especially when companies are given free-range to change things as they want, it's the way that they're spec'd differently that I was referring to.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Saw this today. Looks good, looks like its put together decently. I didn't understand why the diamond plate needs to be on the front at first but it makes sense with the cab tilt hinge. Anyways, appearance doesn't matter, only time will tell how these work out.

Ed, you forgot Kermit the Frog, from the FDNY slime green vs red testing that showed color makes almost no difference in accident rates. There are only a handful of departments in the US with the fleet size and run numbers that could have turned out a meaningful apples to apples test on the red vs yellow argument.

I hope KME puts their best foot forward on these rigs. From my first experience I was not a fan, but the KME rig I currently work off of has impressed me. They have come a long way from the '87 that first introduced me to their brand.  

Aaron Woods
Found this on Facebook posted by the brotherhood foundation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPtXb_F16Nw

Zamboni-Man photo:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Honestly in my opinion, what makes the truck look "different" is the striping when it breaks and bends at the front of the cab.  If they could readjust it, I think it would look way more normal.

Okay-here you go for comparison.....I kind of like the little angle way they did the stripe.....but what do I know? :-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks much better, that angled stripe just doesn't look right..

Jim Kay

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic

Fire Historian

Fire Buff

Photographer
where was that taken? looks like a fire expo

Long Island Fire, Rescue and EMS Mega Show, last week at the Nassau Coliseum Long Island, NY

FDNY Ladder 109 getting some work done
2005 Seagrave 100'

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Honestly in my opinion, what makes the truck look "different" is the striping when it breaks and bends at the front of the cab.  If they could readjust it, I think it would look way more normal.

actually I think it looks better the new way but thats just my opionion. Over all I think the truck looks sharp.The diamond plate on the front of the cab is probably to protect it when reloading the hose things flop around I think its a nice addition.

I just saw photos on the Ferrara site of what appears to be a rebuild of the mitigation unit for haz-mat 1. New Cab and Chassis, Old Box. Anyone know the story behind this?

Thomas Whittemore

East Greenbush Fire District #3

LT. Fire Police

Air Pack Services

ex Safety Officer

ex Quartermaster

[Image: EGFD.png]

[Image: 095f5266ec.jpg]

[Image: ffxuser.png]

[Image: vol-fire.gif]
Quote:I just saw photos on the Ferrara site of what appears to be a rebuild of the mitigation unit for haz-mat 1. New Cab and Chassis, Old Box. Anyone know the story behind this?
From the guys at haz mat 1 said they are getting a second one of this to use as a spare/reserve piece.

Looking to understand why the original unit built in April 2013 was probably rejected either by the dealer or FDNY and is being rebuilt at Ferrara.

Thomas Whittemore

East Greenbush Fire District #3

LT. Fire Police

Air Pack Services

ex Safety Officer

ex Quartermaster

[Image: EGFD.png]

[Image: 095f5266ec.jpg]

[Image: ffxuser.png]

[Image: vol-fire.gif]
I read that the one that was delivered the windshield kept falling out. Dont know why the cab is off the orginal one; maybe it was a bigger problem.

Is the mitigation unit the 2nd piece?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]