Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Canada Eh?
Here are a few more photos from sunny Ontario. Most were taken while travelling to the convention with fellow board member BIG DAVE. Sault Ste. Marie has this 1999 E-1 Superior Cyclone 11 with a 1250 pump,500 gallon water tank, foam tanks of 10A and 25B, and a 50 ' ladder. This was a treat to see for me, as there are none of these E-1 built rigs with 50' ladders in my neck of the woods.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sault Ste. Marie P-3 runs this Smeal built pumper with 1050 GPM pump and 600 gallon water on a Spartan Diamond chassis.

Dave and I spent several hours chasing the paid crew in Dryden Ontario to try and shoot some of their apparatus, and managed to finally empty two of the stations. Here are two of the trucks we managed to photograph. Unit 25 runs out of their main station and is a 2006 Holland built rescue on a GMC C5500 4x4 chassis.

For a short period of time, many Western Canadian apparatus builders used Volvo chassis as the basis for some of their pumpers and rescues. Dryden got a 1996 Superior built Volvo FE 42 pumper with 1050/800/35F stats.

We were fortunate to shoot this aerial in Bradford-West Gwillimbury as it has since been replaced by a shining new Pierce ladder tower. L-1016 is a 1992 E-1 Hurricane with 1050GPM pump, 200 gallon water tank, and 110' ladder.

Bradford West Gwillimbury runs this 2009 Rosenbauer Spartan Metro Star 1050/500/30 spec'd pumper as Unit 1011.

We went searching for a newly delivered Sutphen aerial in Ramera, Ontario, the photo of which Big Dave posted a couple of pages back, and while at the Ramara station also shot this 1990 Superior Ford LN8000 pumper with an 840 GPM pump and 1000 gallon water tank. Not everything we looked at was built on a custom chassis, and for an old guy like me, trucks like this were typical of what you saw when you squished your nose on the bay door window.

Went on a side trip to Ottawa and managed to stumble across Station 13 while strolling around. Ottawa P-13A is a Carl Thibault Spartan Metro Star 1250/500 spec'd engine.

I was hoping to meet and introduce myself to fellow firepics member "ladder 13" but he was not there. I did however take a picture of the ladder at 13 station, and it was a 2003 E-1 Cyclone II with a big 1750 GPM pump, 300 gallon water tank and 100' ladder.

The city of Kingston, Ontario has several penitentiaries in the city and they house a bunch of really notorious bad guys in Canadian history. Kingston Pen, the federal prison, is right in the city, right on the lake shore with pretty nice views, but the 18' high concrete fence around the prison probably impairs the view from within. Kingston R-231 is a 1998 Superior International S Rescue.

I was told Kingston had a Canadian built Ahrens Fox N-S-2 piston pumper as a parade piece so went looking for it, but found it unable to start and a little neglected and tired looking so I shot the active engine at the station instead. Pumper 261 is a 2002 Almonte HME with 1050 GPM pump, 500 gallon water tank and 25 gallon foam tank.

Seagrave Canada built R-2 for Barrie, Ontario., using a Spartan Gladiator with 1050 GPM pump, 600 gallon water tank 20 gallon A foam and 40gallon B foam tanks.

We also photographed Squad 1 in Barrie, a 2005 Seagrave Canada Spartan Metro Star. Big truck!

Barrie Tower 1 is a 2004 Smeal Spartan Gladiator with 1750 GPM pump, 200 gallon water tank and 100' ladder tower. This truck also has a small tribute to FDNY on the front grill.

Here is the front of Barrie T-1. Quiet and understated, but a classy touch.

Dave and I cruised through Sudbury and shot a few trucks there as well. We shot this 1995 Dependable Freightliner FL 106 which runs as Hazmat -1.

We sat around drinking coffee for quite a while before a driver came around to position this pumper for us. Turned out to be one of the District Chiefs! It pays to be polite to the receptionists for they hold a lot of power! Sudbury P 10 is a 2009 Sutphen Shield with 1250/800/20 specs.

We stopped off in Orillia, where we shot a 2011 ladder tower and this 2004 Rosenbauer Spartan 1050/750/20 spec'd pumper. It wasn't until the driver parked the pumper back in the station that Big Dave mentioned that the truck we just shot ,the same one he shot the last time he was in town, had an officer side pump panel. Too embarressed to ask for the truck out again so here you have it, the rare off side photo. Big Dave has posted the ladder tower on this thread earlier on.

We did manage to finally shoot an Orillia pumper on the pump side. P-1 is a 2011 Crimson Spartan Gladiator with a 1250 GPM pump and 630 gallon water tank.

We toured Innisfil and found some more red trucks to photograph. Pumper-1 is a 2008 Fort Garry Sterling with a 1050 GPM pump, 760 gallon water tank and 30 gallon foam tank.