Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
F.D.N.Y.
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1351025026' post='501356']

This was a Spare 1996 Seagrave formerly used by E270 then SQ270. I dont remember who was using it on 9/11.

[/quote]

Wasn't 252 using it on 9/11?
I was notified by the folks at the museum and it was being used at 252 on 9/11
I found this video today, not sure who made it but the statements made in the beginning are pretty interesting regarding the Ferrara's and "possible" KME's...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relat...58rCbFnWRw
[quote name='ffemtwakeman' timestamp='1351184590' post='501520']

I found this video today, not sure who made it but the statements made in the beginning are pretty interesting regarding the Ferrara's and "possible" KME's...

[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=D58rCbFnWRw"]http://m.youtube.com...d&v=D58rCbFnWRw[/url]

[/quote]

THE RIGS TO SPARE WILL NOT OPEN
Saw this article on another website, ex-FDNY 'Spirit of Louisiana' Ferrara that was sent to New Orleans is now being sent back to New York State. This time it will go to the City of Long Beach which suffered during Hurricane Sandy.

http://m.wafb.com/autojuice?targetUrl=ht...ong-island
[quote name='goon16' timestamp='1350371369' post='500768']

Yea they do have more room but that doesnt mean it functions better or anything I would rather have a stronger rig and more sturdy ladder than room.....we had no complaints about our Seagrave...the ferrera on the other hand where do u want to start....

[/quote]

Talk to the guys in Chinatown who use the Seagrave Tillers and they will tell you that the last batch they got in 2005 are the biggest pieces of garbage they have. Issues with paint peeling off and compartment doors falling off. So the Seagrave's aren't perfect either. Everyone can build a bad truck even Seagrave who I know have built more than a few so the most important thing is the service just about anything you put in FDNY the way they are run will have some issues.
Body issues are a little different than mechanical issues. Like I said our Seagrave ladder was sturdier and just felt stronger. But it seems like I can't tell you anything that's wrong with them because you tell me that I'm wrong or that our Seagrave wasn't as good as there tiller is. I haveto work on this rig every time I go in to work and I want a rig that I know is sturdy and can with stand the abuse we put it threw I have first hand experience with these rigs. If you want more explanation I will be more than happy to tell you. I do understand that all rigs will have issues just not as much as we all are having with these ferreras
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
[quote name='goon16' timestamp='1352335792' post='502583']

Body issues are a little different than mechanical issues. Like I said our Seagrave ladder was sturdier and just felt stronger. But it seems like I can't tell you anything that's wrong with them because you tell me that I'm wrong or that our Seagrave wasn't as good as there tiller is. I haveto work on this rig every time I go in to work and I want a rig that I know is sturdy and can with stand the abuse we put it threw I have first hand experience with these rigs. If you want more explanation I will be more than happy to tell you. I do understand that all rigs will have issues just not as much as we all are having with these ferreras

[/quote]

I never said you were wrong just explaining that issues aren't confined with Ferrara's we have two in our neighboring departments one is junk the other is just fine just the same with Seagrave (the name doesn't make them perfect) our mechanics have said on several occasions that our Pierce engines are much better built that the newer Seagrave's they work on and we have has some issues with Pierce also. Just stating a point if you feel safer by all means go out and buy one if your dept can afford it, but no sense in bashing Ferrara when the problems may not there fault. If its a newer Ferrara ladder then it was built by smeal anyway which makes it a smeal problem.
I won't argue your point, because ALL manufacturers put out a turd once in a while - some more than others. But as far as I know, Ferrara buys their aerials from RK, not Smeal. I imagine we will see some other OEMs begin to purchase aerial ladders from LTI now that American LaFrance has figured out that there are people out there that want their aerials and Squrt devices and not their chassis.
Ferrara has been using Smeal aerial devices since at least 2007. RK's may have been used on some rigs as well through that period, but at some point Ferrara started using the Smeal aerials exclusively for the Ferrara product line.
[quote name='DaveYoung' timestamp='1352864054' post='503036']

Ferrara has been using Smeal aerial devices since at least 2007. RK's may have been used on some rigs as well through that period, but at some point Ferrara started using the Smeal aerials exclusively for the Ferrara product line.

[/quote] They have been using Smeal aerials since 1999
I find it kind of funny that people who have never ridden a day on an FDNY rig are arguing with a guy who rides one every day about the issues he is having on his rigs.....
Thanks for the back up haz31mat everyone thinks there an expert when no one has any first hand experience riding in one and decide to argue with me who works in a very busy company with a ferrera again thanks bro

NEVER FORGET 343

The fault is also on ferrera not just smeal and there aerial so i can go ahead and bash them it's a whole circle of problems. it is ferreras problem they put the smeal ladder on it and thats there problem for using a shitty ladder I just can't tell my department to buy a different rig the FDNY doesn't exactly work like that.

NEVER FORGET 343

[quote name='goon16' timestamp='1352925010' post='503088']

The fault is also on ferrera not just smeal and there aerial so i can go ahead and bash them it's a whole circle of problems. it is ferreras problem they put the smeal ladder on it and thats there problem for using a shitty ladder I just can't tell my department to buy a different rig the FDNY doesn't exactly work like that.

[/quote]

Goon, there are a number of departments in my area that love their Smeals but they're all suburban and use the heavy duty aerials. I've never worked off one so I can't and won't offer an opinion, sucks your job is having so many issues with the ladders. I was wondering if you knew what kind of maximum tip load yours has, also, they only have the rear set of jacks right? stay low and keep finding a way to work around the problems.
EX-Ladder 30

SL9401

1994 Seagrave 100'

currently at Brookfield Auto Wrecker waiting to be cut up

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Former Tower Ladder 7 in a very sad shape

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='anesti' timestamp='1353288172' post='503370']

Former Tower Ladder 7 in a very sad shape

[/quote]

The boom is worth saving.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1353290386' post='503377']

The boom is worth saving.

[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing, maybe we're both wrong? Also, with everything taken off... not the box on the roof.

Question of curiousity here, I understand painting over the logos, probably just as easy as peeling them off, but why take the time to go all the way down the truck over the stripes when it's de-commisioned? You can tell it's an FDNY rig, stripes or not, and if someone wants to restore the truck and put the stripes back on they will. More work for a truck that's going to the wayside.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
[quote name='HAZ31MAT' timestamp='1352897984' post='503055']

I find it kind of funny that people who have never ridden a day on an FDNY rig are arguing with a guy who rides one every day about the issues he is having on his rigs.....

[/quote]

To quote a friend of mine....BING FREAKIN' O!!!!!
Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI