Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 Inch Gas Line Break, Littleton CO 1/10/13
Around 09:30 multiple callers reported a gas line rupture along C-470 between Santa Fe Drive & Platte Canyon Road. First arriving Engine 15 observed a large gas cloud and rocks being thrown over 100 feet from the hole. Construction crews on site advised the Engine Captain that they'd hit a 20 inch and a 4 inch gas line. Several more companies were requested including hazmat and a 1 square mile area was evacuated with a reverse 911.

Approaching the scene on westbound Colorado 470

With a strong wind pushing the cloud away from the highway, command left traffic open with the ability to immediately shut it down if needed. It was a little close for comfort but provided a great view for photos.

In the neighborhood about 1/2 mile away the cloud was so think it obscured visibility. I caught up with Engine 17 assiting a day care center with evacuations.

Some tense moments for the staff at the day care center. Thankfully Xcel Engergy was able to shut the line off within 2 hours.

About 1 mile from the incident Haz-Mat 17 was doing remote air monitoring of the evacuation area. Additional haz-mat teams were responding with more AreaRae's but canceled while enroute when the situation went under control. No injuries were reported but several ill parties called 911 because of the fumes and were field released.

Great Photos!! Not sure I would have stayed in the area, or run uphill upwind!!
Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
nice work
Ken LaBelle

Capt Town of Lincoln Fire/Rescue 4
NRIFirePhotos.com
Nice Pics
Nice pics!
Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Great Shots.

Thanks for sharing
I know we're not supposed to critique here, but the highway is still open? WTF?
Great pictures and great job on the part of all involved.
Dave
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1358299713' post='507583']

I know we're not supposed to critique here, but the highway is still open? WTF?

[/quote]

Command kept is open as long as the 20 + mph wind kept blowing it away from the road. I was quite surprised to see that though, there weren't any traffic signs up either so nothing to really prevent someone from throwing a lit cigarette out the window at it. There is a lot of pressure from the Colorado State Patrol to keep major highways open at all costs which may have been a factor also.