Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wildland Interface Fire, Castle Pines CO 1-21-13
Around 1 pm a multiple 911 callers reported a brush fire off of Oak Briar Way in Castle Pines. Crews found several acres burning with homes on all sides of the open space. I was responding from home about 20 miles away and took this shot on the way in...

Upon arrival I ended up assiting our Field Com Unit and couldn't get to taking photos until it was under control.

South Metro Brush Engine 43 working the east flank

Brush Engine 39 and Red 3 working in the scrub oak

Red 3 (used for ARFF at Centennial Airport & wildland) mopping up the east flank

Brush Engine 43 & Brush Engine 39 working with one of the threatened homes in the background... Also note the snow still on the ground.

Brush 40 mopping up the west flank

First Due Brush 36 working

Tender 45 & Tender 46 providing water supply

MetCom IDT2 (field com unit) and Battalion Chief 34's Suburban at the command post

Incident Dispatcher Rystrom working at the ICP

Last one... Truely an odd sight... The fire burned completely around a patch of snow without melting it off.

Just goes to show you can have a brush/grass fire anytime.....obviously these are quick burning fires and not all that hot so as not to melt the snow....it just skims over the top of the grass but is a strange phenomenon....I can remember having our first brush/grass/duff fire in February last year, mostly due to the lack of snow making for a dry spring. Great shots!!!!
Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
Great Shots. Interesting thing about that snow. Haven't seen that before.

Thanks for sharing
Great Pics
Great pics. In my patch winter/spring is our wildfire season due to having a dry winter wet summer. Are there manty unimogs in operational FD's

Quote:Great pics. In my patch winter/spring is our wildfire season due to having a dry winter wet summer. Are there manty unimogs in operational FD's

Our wildland season has become basically year-round.  Actually, South Metro has the only Unimog that I know of in Colorado. 
Quote: 

Our wildland season has become basically year-round.  Actually, South Metro has the only Unimog that I know of in Colorado. 

Doesn't PFA have an older one or am I crazy?
Quote:Doesn't PFA have an older one or am I crazy?

PFA sold their Unimog to Glacier View Fire and I don't think it's in service anymore but I'm not 100% positive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ral11us/254...0660644613