Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington County MD Co 12 Shut Down
As of today Co. 12 Fairplay Vol. Fire Department in Washington County MD has been forced to suspend operations effective immediately due to a 26.3% failed response rate until further notice.

Boonsboro, Williamsport, Funkstown, and Sharpsburg will now cover the area until further notice ( All companies listed already respond to call in the area with Fairplay )

Articles can been seen here

[url="http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-washington-county-commissioners-may-suspend-fairplay-volunteer-fire-cos-operations-20120729,0,287434.story"]http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-washi...7434.story[/url]

[url="http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-commissioners-vote-to-suspend-fairplay-fire-company-operations-20120731,0,523487.story?page=1"]http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-commi...ory?page=1[/url]

[url="http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-critics-say-fairplay-volunteer-fire-co-needs-to-improve-20120731,0,6949764.story"]http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-criti...9764.story[/url]
John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
A sad (but inevitable) story, time will tell if this outfit gets it together. IMO, the county's response is laughable, no support really for the surrounding vfds. The county special ops rig should be relocated down there, along with the paid crew. I feel sorry for Dale Hill, he really has his hands full.

Unfortunately, with this case and the troubles with an Allegany County vfd last week, time is running out for the all-volunteer vfds in Western Maryland...

Just my opinion,

Warren Jenkins
Warren;

There is some light at the end of the tunnel for the Allegany County, MD Company... Relocating to another building and letting the bank foreclose on the present station and land has already been decided. In this case the Department chose to put itself out of service until funding could be stabilized and a secure home could be found to run out of. Right now surplus equipment and the utility rig are being sold.

After a meeting last night they received some bad news from their community special taxing district but on the other hand a potential buyer has come forward that is interested in purchasing the station who would allow the department to run out of the portion the new owner would not need.

Merging and becoming a sub-station with another department is being actively discussed also. The only real issue at this point is the number of volunteers the station needs. With the loss of the school and good jobs overall, the town has become nothing more than a convenience store stop between two cities with a transient population.

Time will time.......
Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
[quote name='YeOldeEnjine' timestamp='1343842347' post='493864']

Warren;

There is some light at the end of the tunnel for the Allegany County, MD Company... Relocating to another building and letting the bank foreclose on the present station and land has already been decided. In this case the Department chose to put itself out of service until funding could be stabilized and a secure home could be found to run out of. Right now surplus equipment and the utility rig are being sold.

After a meeting last night they received some bad news from their community special taxing district but on the other hand a potential buyer has come forward that is interested in purchasing the station who would allow the department to run out of the portion the new owner would not need.

Merging and becoming a sub-station with another department is being actively discussed also. The only real issue at this point is the number of volunteers the station needs. With the loss of the school and good jobs overall, the town has become nothing more than a convenience store stop between two cities with a transient population.

Time will time.......

[/quote]

Tim, thank you for your update, I can imagine how the emotions can be, I wish the best for all involved.
I don't understand why you would suspend the department because of this,but rather back them up with another company which I'm sure was being done any how! Now if they only got out 26% of the time then maybe it would be worth talking about. Maybe the powers that be could get them some help now that would be an idea....

Terry
Terry K.Dawson

dawsonfire@hotmail.com

dawson_fire@yahoo.com

Taneytown,Maryland 21787
As far as Wash co CO.12, there is also a unhealthy dose of politics and personalities involved,lol. Interesting to read the public comments in the paper. Has there been a fire yet in Wash CO. at which the response is the paid drivers at each vfd, plus a couple odd ambos with paid medics/emts? Doesn't sound like a unlikely scenario in the future...
[quote name='YeOldeEnjine' timestamp='1343842347' post='493864']

Warren;

Time will time.......

[/quote]

What fire dept in alleghany is that? Is it McCoole? I understand they were having some problems.
[quote name='ldrco195' timestamp='1343934161' post='493948']

What fire dept in alleghany is that? Is it McCoole? I understand they were having some problems.

[/quote] Yes, it is
As of 2030hrs. August 1st. McCoole Fire & Rescue Department has placed themselves back in service.

Surplus EMS equipment along with Utility 23 (Former Ambulance 323) has been sold securing sufficient funds to reinstate the insurance for the next year.

Two potential buyers for the land and station have been identified and proceeding forward. Alternate station location arrangements have been made.

Leasing a smaller station and downsizing equipment and apparatus will put us in a financial situation that should allow us to operate within the limits of the funds as provided by ALLEGANY County. Additional Fund Raising will be the next step.

Other operational and organizational changes will be taking place in the near future.

T. Wilson, Asst. Chief

McCoole Fire & Rescue

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
[quote name='YeOldeEnjine' timestamp='1343944492' post='493961']

As of 2030hrs. August 1st. McCoole Fire & Rescue Department has placed themselves back in service.

Surplus EMS equipment along with Utility 23 (Former Ambulance 323) has been sold securing sufficient funds to reinstate the insurance for the next year.

Two potential buyers for the land and station have been identified and proceeding forward. Alternate station location arrangements have been made.

Leasing a smaller station and downsizing equipment and apparatus will put us in a financial situation that should allow us to operate within the limits of the funds as provided by ALLEGANY County. Additional Fund Raising will be the next step.

Other operational and organizational changes will be taking place in the near future.

T. Wilson, Asst. Chief

McCoole Fire & Rescue

[/quote]

That is good news, Tim. Are you just running ER23, the 99 Pierce? Anybody using the pre 1984 station?
Warren;

Our first station from the 1940's was purchased by a group that builds dentures and dental implants. They extensively remodeled the bays for their business and remodeled the upstairs into two apartments.

The 1999 Lance, (one of the non-twins) is the only remaining piece of apparatus. Hoping that after the situation stabilizes we can find a good used Brush / Utility type vehicle......

After going thru what we did these past 3 weeks I really feel for the folks at Washington station 12... I wish them the best.

T. Wilson

Does Fairplay have a new tanker on order? I thought they were in the process but not sure where they stood. Anyone?
[quote name='LCFR16LT' timestamp='1344190587' post='494204']

Does Fairplay have a new tanker on order? I thought they were in the process but not sure where they stood. Anyone?

[/quote]

That I do not know, but I did get a chance to talk to my cousin tonight and he said that Fairplay has been suspended for 3 months with a review period to follow for an unknown amount of time, before reinstatement can be thought about for the company.

I have the tanker as a 1980 and I dont think it gets ran much so I dont know if a new one would be worth the purchase.
John Fauble

I am interested in all of the equipment and apparatus used in fire fighting and ems service.
Update: Contentious task force meetings as old regime tries to hang on... details in heraldmail.com
The ruling came down today http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-washi...1361.story

We will see if at all the company will come back, or if there is even any chance for a come back.

I don't think we have heard the last of this, I see a lawsuit coming in the near future as the company had all there " ducks " in a row and about 85 + persons interested in joining the department.

John Fauble