Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/16/13 3rd alarm 22 Hickory Drive Amherst, NH
<span><span><span>This is a cell phone photo taken shortly after arrival at a structure fire in Amherst Saturday morning by our pump operator Keith Hines. This home was about 2 or 3 miles from our station (Merrimack E-2) just over the town line. We were on the initial dispatch along with Amherst E-3, E-5, T-1, A-1, C-1 </span><span><span>. Myself and my Captain advanced a  1 3/4" line through the front door (approximately 20 feet down the D side) up the stairs and toward the C side into the open living room/ kitchen area. Prior to entering, we noted a well involved rear deck fire extending into this living area. While trying to advance the line we had near zero visibility with building heat. Initially we could hear but not see the flames. Our stretch was hampered by multiple pieces of furniture. While making our way to the fire room we observed flames beginning to roll over our heads. I opened the line which, according to our pump operator, caused the rear slider to explode and expel a large ball of flames off the rear of the structure. </span></span></span></span>

<span><span><span><span><span><span><span><span>We were making some decent progress, however, we suspected that the fire had extended into the attic above us. We fought the fire as long as we could but the inevitable happened and our water was running low as was our air. We backed out of the structu</span><span><span>re and handed our line to an incoming Amherst crew. Luckily for them, they took a more defensive position from where we were situated because within 7 or 8 minutes of our departure the roof caved in directly over where we were positioned. The fire escalated to 3 alarms bringing in crews from Nashua, Milford, Mont Vernon, Bedford, Hollis, as well as us and all of Amherst's apparatus. I'm happy to report that other than a minor injury to one of the Milford guys everyone, including the residents, made it out of the building safely.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span>

*Photo by Keith Hines posted w/ permission*

Attached Files Image(s)

This photo was a cell phone photo taken by Amherst Chief Mark Boynton. This was taken shortly after we advanced the line into the fire room. I had just "penciled" the rollover while my Captain was getting me more line. We were situated about 10 feet diagonal from the C/D corner near the middle of the living room.

*Photo by Chief Boynton posted with permission.*

Attached Files Image(s)

In this last photo, again taken by MFR pump operator Keith Hines, the extent of the roof collapse can be seen.

*Photo by Keith Hines posted with permission*

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Nice shots. I took this one in but need a good free picture re-sizer so I can start posting pictures again. On a side note the owner had an old Snorkel in the yard lettered for Havre no.4. Looks like a Ford/Pierce.

Great Shots!

Quote:Nice shots. I took this one in but need a good free picture re-sizer so I can start posting pictures again.
Try Irfanview. It does easy re-sizing and lots more things.
I don't post pics very often so I simply resized them using Paint.

Quote:Nice shots. I took this one in but need a good free picture re-sizer so I can start posting pictures again. On a side note the owner had an old Snorkel in the yard lettered for Havre no.4. Looks like a Ford/Pierce.
He most certainly did. He also had himself quite a bit of propane which thoroughly concerned us. He was kind enough to instruct my Captain what needed to be shut down.
Funny Story about Havre no 4......that came from Havre, Montana. A guy that recently retired from Salem here somehow got hooked up with this guy (the homeowner) and the he paid the SFD guy  (FF Kevin Blais) to fly out there, pick it up and drive it home to NH. He was going to use the snorkel as a mobile wind turbine to generate electricity for him since the Town of Amherst wouldn't let him build a permanent structure.....Kevin commonly did odd jobs like this to try and make a buck on the side and he usually took a loss doing them for people, we called it "Blaisenomics" at the firehouse.....

Quote:Funny Story about Havre no 4......that came from Havre, Montana. A guy that recently retired from Salem here somehow got hooked up with this guy (the homeowner) and the he paid the SFD guy  (FF Kevin Blais) to fly out there, pick it up and drive it home to NH. He was going to use the snorkel as a mobile wind turbine to generate electricity for him since the Town of Amherst wouldn't let him build a permanent structure.....Kevin commonly did odd jobs like this to try and make a buck on the side and he usually took a loss doing them for people, we called it "Blaisenomics" at the firehouse.....
Cool story LT. That truck is certainly "weathered". Big Grin
Yeah, completely random I know.....but...had to add that it was too funny not to. I have pictures of that truck in front of Salem Station 2 here in North Salem. When he drove in to come to work with that thing he caught quite a ribbing!!!

Great shots.

Thanks for sharing.
Quote:Yeah, completely random I know.....but...had to add that it was too funny not to. I have pictures of that truck in front of Salem Station 2 here in North Salem. When he drove in to come to work with that thing he caught quite a ribbing!!!
Ha ha ha, Im sure he did! Hysterical